Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
So how did you end up making your soup? Curious minds want to know!
After skinning all the tomatoes i cooked them till soft in a large pot then used an immersion blender to get a finer consistency then added garlic ,Basil,Oregano,cup of ketchup,salt pepper, then made a roux of butter and flour and light cream threw that in to thicken it up.That was basically it,into a bowl and called it Tomato soup. For a first time it turned out very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Tomato soup sounds great however it is one of the recipes I just cannot get to be edible after it is finished cooking.
I don't know what I do wrong and whatever it is I do it wrong every time I have tried to make tomato soup.
Oh well, not that big of a deal in the overall picture.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Try a little bit of soda, CSD610. But be sure you have a large pot or it will foam over. This will temper the raw, acid taste.

I also like to add the teensiest pinch of cinnamon. Not so you can actually taste what it is but it gives it that certain something.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
Hints:

To make a thicker, creamier soup, put 1 cup of your soup mixture into a blender and add a heaping TBSP or two of corn starch, blend until well mixed, then return to a low heat stirring until thickened.

If you want a pureed soup texture, blend the whole recipe once all your vegetables are cooked. I do this with my red pepper soup recipe. Delish!

Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 AM

19 posts, read 17,288 times
At least six orange tomatoes (less acidity, apparently), cut in half and roasted with four cloves of garlic, all with a little bit of olive oil.

Saute one chopped onion in butter or ghee. Add tomatoes, garlic, 1 tsp of Italian herbs spice, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, and 2-4 cups of chicken broth. Simmer for a while, then blend together.

I love tomato soup. It's my favourite.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:01 PM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Default Fast Tomato Soup

Easy quick and delcious my own tomato soup

Tin tomatoes
Leeks or Brocolli or both
Garlic
2 Ham stock cubes.
Pepper.

Put the tomatoes into a pot and used a hand blender to mash them down..
Add the same amount of water as the empty can
Place a handful of leeks or brocolli into the mixture adding garlic any sort I use a tube as its handy..
Add the meat cubes..
Cook for 15 mins until the veg is soft and serve with some parsley on top if you like that.... I also like some Parmesan cheese on top.. but not to everyones taste... Cheap , fast and good for you..

Old 01-01-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Think i'm pretty much there, i'll buy some cream and the grilled cheese sandwich stuff. was wondering if a roux is needed to thicken up the soup.
Yes, roux! Be sure to simmer a short while to cook the raw flour taste out.

My recipe includes some baking soda which I highly recommend. I only use home-grown tomatoes for this recipe although in the winter a jar of home-canned or fresh frozen will work.

If you want a cream of tomato soup the soda will take the raw "edge" off the tomatoes without removing the fresh taste. That's much in the way that a dollop of wine or balsamic will work in a pasta sauce.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2022, 05:25 PM

Excuse the double post. Look like I've been here before! LOL

Old 01-02-2022, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 3,639 times
I love these tomato soups! Always been my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes