Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:34 AM

41 posts, read 101,387 times

Advertisements

Almost every time I bake with cocoa powder, I encounter this certain flavor, maybe like cocoa powder without the sugar, and it doesn't go away no matter how much sugar I add. It might be a bit like black coffee grounds but maybe more acidic. I've read recipes on the internet that supposedly use cocoa powder successfully, and no one seems to complain about the bitter cocoa aftertaste, but it's not like dark chocolate. It's almost a burnt charcoal flavor maybe but not quite, a similar flavor to some coffees--bitter, acidic, and sharp, and it's in the cocoa powder itself.

I've used Hershey's cocoa powder and Nestle cocoa powder, same problem. Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong? Why do my confections taste more like cocoa and less like chocolate, and how can I get it right?

I know it's possible to get it right, because I've made at least one or two desserts that didn't have that flavor and instead tasted more like chocolate, but I don't know what I did.

Are there any home cooks out there who use cocoa powder instead of baking chocolate willing to share their wisdom?

Last edited by Wannabe Writer; 09-19-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Have you tried using Dutch-process cocoa powder? It is less bitter. Dutch-process is a bit more expensive than natural, unsweetened cocoa.

Also, adding a little salt to the recipe will enhance the chocolate flavor and make it less bitter.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Have you tried using Dutch-process cocoa powder? It is less bitter. Dutch-process is a bit more expensive than natural, unsweetened cocoa.

Also, adding a little salt to the recipe will enhance the chocolate flavor and make it less bitter.

No, I haven't tried Dutch-process. I've heard it's better than regular cocoa powder, but right now that would be the easy way out. I want to learn how to actually use regular cocoa powder.

What causes that weird flavor anyway? Would adding baking soda help?

Last edited by Wannabe Writer; 09-19-2019 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 02:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Add sugar!

Old 09-19-2019, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I think you are more taste sensitive to the flavor than others are. I use cocoa to make brownies and chocolate cookies. I like the flavor.

You can add cinnamon to any cocoa baked good. The cinnamon, used with a light hand, might sweeten the burnt flavor that bothers you.

Otherwise, I’d try the Dutch processed cocoa, and possibly some imported cocoa as well.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Perhaps try adding some espresso crystals, they enhance the chocolate flavor.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:12 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I know what you mean. When I've made hot cocoa w/ the cocoa I used to buy, you could taste bitterness. I use an organic cocoa now and it doesn't have that bitterness. I've been using Saco Conscious kitchen brand. I get it at Lowes Foods, not sure where else you can buy it.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:16 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
An odd question since cocoa is bitter. That's what it tastes like.

My only suggestion, if you don't like cocoa powder, is to start cooking with milk chocolate instead. Or make vanilla cakes instead of chocolate cakes and blondies instead of brownies.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
An odd question since cocoa is bitter. That's what it tastes like.

My only suggestion, if you don't like cocoa powder, is to start cooking with milk chocolate instead. Or make vanilla cakes instead of chocolate cakes and blondies instead of brownies.
It's not exactly the bitter part that bothers me. It's that weird almost copper or burnt "cocoa" flavor that doesn't taste like chocolate. Maybe it has something to do with the acid, because I'm told that Dutch processed doesn't have that issue.

The advice I've gotten is to add just a little bit of baking soda, and I guess I'll try that.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:02 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think you might be using wrong cocoa. There is cocoa for baking and there is cocoa for drinking. Use the right one and see the difference. Try to use a good quality for baking.
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...king-chocolate

Or maybe you just use too much of it...

If there is" that weird almost copper or burnt "cocoa" flavor that doesn't taste like chocolate" then maybe, indeed, your cake is just a bit burn, which taste bitter. You wouldn't see the "burn" on chocolate cake, but you definitely will taste it.
Too long in the oven or baking temperature too high.

BTW: Too much baking powder can cause the batter to be bitter tasting. It can also cause the batter to rise rapidly and then collapse.
The normal proportion is about 1 to 2 teaspoons per 1 cup of flour.

Hershey's anything is the worst quality anyway...

Last edited by elnina; 09-21-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes