Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 12:32 AM

283 posts, read 729,582 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be making green bean casserole for the first time in my life:
https://www.cookwithcampbells.ca/rec...ean-casserole/

I'll be using fresh green beans, and I've seen a few comments from people saying they don't like using fresh green beans because they don't get tender.

But I found this article talking about how you can make fresh green beans tender:
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...il-green-beans

It says to boil the green beans in 4 quarts of water with 1/2 cup of salt. But I'm cooking for people who don't like their food too salty. Will the green beans absorb all that salt? Will rinsing the green beans under cold water wash all the salt away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 03:56 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
Blanch in lightly salted water until just bright, plunge into cold water, drain and freeze overnight, then steam the next day. the freezing will break down the cell walls and they will be nice and tender.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:26 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Use haricort verts.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:48 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post

I'll be using fresh green beans, and I've seen a few comments from people saying they don't like using fresh green beans because they don't get tender.

But I found this article talking about how you can make fresh green beans tender:

It says to boil the green beans in 4 quarts of water with 1/2 cup of salt. But I'm cooking for people who don't like their food too salty. Will the green beans absorb all that salt? Will rinsing the green beans under cold water wash all the salt away?
As a non salter that would kill it for me. I was never a fan of salt on food, even as a child. I can eat a chip or pretzel and be ok, but I am not a lover of salting food. The entire family knows that if you come to my house and I have cooked - you will need to salt it.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:03 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
The only thing I've found to make fresh green beans tender is serious cooking time. We don't use a lot of salt either. I use lightly salted water and let them simmer until they are tender. Usually add some finely chopped onion and garlic to the water as well. On special occasions, like today (Thanksgiving), I'll cook them in unsalted stock.

The long cook time will change them to a darker green but will be tender to eat.

Other ways I've cooked them is stir fry at high temp and saute in bacon drippings.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:48 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The only thing I've found to make fresh green beans tender is serious cooking time. We don't use a lot of salt either. I use lightly salted water and let them simmer until they are tender. Usually add some finely chopped onion and garlic to the water as well. On special occasions, like today (Thanksgiving), I'll cook them in unsalted stock.

The long cook time will change them to a darker green but will be tender to eat.

Other ways I've cooked them is stir fry at high temp and saute in bacon drippings.
Totally right

I don't like hard crispy vegetables and always cook mine longer until they become softer. This is not only for string beans but carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and the rest. If I'm oven roasting them, which is another option other than boiling, I leave them roasting until they are a texture I like. I don't care if they are a little browner.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:20 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post

People that say that they don't get tender, simply don't cook them long enough. You don't need to put a ton of salt in there. I would never add a half cup! FWIW, I only use the French style canned green beans for the casserole dish. But I always use fresh for my grilled beans. And they are as tender as they can be.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:31 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Wow, you all are making this so hard.
Simmer the green beans until they’re barely tender, drain, and use them in the green bean casserole. You do not need to add salt if you don’t want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes