Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 03:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

How to keep the egg coating from burning? Sometimes people will coat their chicken breasts in an egg coating. I always end up with burn marks. Do you add cream?

Is the egg coating suppose to also act as an indicator of doneness? When it starts to brown a bit, means the chicken breast is finished?

here is an example of egg coating I am talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlAnXIcgn5g&t=46s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 05:45 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Correct oil temperature.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Just egg? I use an egg wash to hold the flour or crumb coating in place.

You have to turn it as it cooks.

I brown my coating and then put the chicken into the oven to finish cooking, so the chicken gets done and the coating isn't overdone.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:25 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Another thing you can do is put the pieces in a relatively hot oil to set the egg. Then turn the temperature down to cook the meat. When done, if necessary, turn the heat back up a bit to brown the coating.

It can take some practice. I usually stay right with my frying pan when I am frying chicken. Which is why I usually use oregonwoodsmoke's method these days. You get the same flavor of frying.

You could also buy a thermometer to put in the oil. That helps until you get the feel for how it should look and sound. Yes, sound. Chef Daughter told me she does a lot of her frying by sound to tell when the meat is done. The sizzling sounds different she says. Also the appearance of the bubbles will change.

It's tricky because every time you add a new piece you change the temperature of the oil so the temptation is to turn the heat too high.

Do you add your pieces at room temperature? That will also help.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Correct oil temperature.
Wont you boil the meat if the temp is not hot enough? But if hot, then egg batter burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just egg? I use an egg wash to hold the flour or crumb coating in place.

You have to turn it as it cooks.

I brown my coating and then put the chicken into the oven to finish cooking, so the chicken gets done and the coating isn't overdone.
Classic diner style around here. Chicken breast is floured, then egg batter, no breading, but with some sauce like Francaise, or Marsala, or fra Diavolo etc etc. Fish is sometimes like that too. You can get breaded if you want though.

It always comes out perfectly golden. Never charring, and chicken is always juicy.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:44 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
You're dredging the chicken in flour before the egg wash, correct? Adding a little water to the egg wash to yhin it out just a bit? Cutting your chicken breasts and pounding them thin into cutlets? Keeping the oil at a medium temperature?

Old 12-17-2021, 10:25 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Wont you boil the meat if the temp is not hot enough? But if hot, then egg batter burns
This question puzzles me. Frying chicken in grease could be compared to "boiling in oil," I suppose. But with a good coating of batter I would think there is steam sealed in which is doing some of your cooking for you.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You're dredging the chicken in flour before the egg wash, correct? Adding a little water to the egg wash to yhin it out just a bit? Cutting your chicken breasts and pounding them thin into cutlets? Keeping the oil at a medium temperature?
Yes, I dread in flour first. I never added water though. I usually like my chicken breasts a little thick. I try to keep temp med to high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
This question puzzles me. Frying chicken in grease could be compared to "boiling in oil," I suppose. But with a good coating of batter I would think there is steam sealed in which is doing some of your cooking for you.
I always hear the celebrity chefs on YT say this. The oil and pan must be hot. Like when cooking steak in a pan, oil and pan must be hot or else you boil the meat instead of frying it.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:12 AM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yes, I dread in flour first. I never added water though. I usually like my chicken breasts a little thick. I try to keep temp med to high

I always hear the celebrity chefs on YT say this. The oil and pan must be hot. Like when cooking steak in a pan, oil and pan must be hot or else you boil the meat instead of frying it.
I think that’s the problem. Regular whole chicken breast’s will be too thick. Pound or cut thin, and then the egg won’t burn before the chicken is done.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:25 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Are you using a nonstick teflon pan? I stopped using those and prefer stainless with copper bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes