Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 04:21 PM

334 posts, read 663,203 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good book on crock pot recipies (slow cooker)? I mean one that I good purchase on Amazon. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:52 PM

10,050 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Honestly, instead of advising you to spend money on a book, why not peruse the zillion web sites online for crock pot recipes? I've found a LOT of good recipes there -- so many that by now, I know my crock pot so well that I can make up my own recipes. The crock pot is generally VERY forgiving.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
I agree with Karen. There are so many websites with recipes and one has to really work hard to mess up a meal in a crock pot.

A few tips:

Add any pasta near the end of the cooking time or it will be mushy. Same for broccoli unless you like it that way.
I put harder veggies like carrots on the bottom.
You don't need a lot of liquid.
Don't open the lid or limit it. The crock pot loses heat and takes a bit to heat back up.
Personally, I'm not a fan of rice in a crock pot. It's the one thing I just can't seem to get right.
Recipes: Add a protein, some spices, maybe a sauce, maybe some veggies and go.

One of my favorite uses of my crock pot is homemade marinara. It's super easy--just cans of crushed tomatoes, spices, a can of tomato paste, some red wine, and a pinch of sugar. I always have a few frozen bags of sauce in the freezer. It's so much better than any jarred sauce.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:13 AM

10,050 posts, read 18,086,660 times
rrah, your marinara sauce sounds so simple to make but also sounds like it would taste great! Oh, and I HAVE gotten good rice out of the slow cooker (here's a favorite recipe: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...ken-with-rice/ ). The "trick" is to add the rice in the last 15 minutes. I have made this recipe dozens of times over the past 10-15 years and it has never failed me. The leftovers are great too -- I've even frozen some portions and had them months later and they're still good. )

OP, here are a few of my favorite recipe sites online:

- https://www.recipetineats.com/#search/q=slow%20cooker
- https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...cooker-recipes -- I know Betty Crocker is very old-fashioned to some, but I grew up with my mom using her recipes so this is an old stand-by for me.
- https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...ooker-recipes/
- https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy/...cooker-recipes

Well, hopefully those will get you started. Keep in mind that because of the low, slow cooking time, you DO NOT use expensive cuts of meat -- e.g., the shoulder steak that I often use in the crock pot is typically one of the cheapest cuts of beef (even in these inflationary times, I just bought some for $2.99/lb. on sale).

Once you've made a bunch of recipes, you can start experimenting and making them your own (just try to remember what you do, LOL, so you can replicate it later -- alas, I need to follow my own advice on this!). I just made beef-vegetable-barley soup in the crock pot by starting with a bare-bones recipe I saw in a review on amazon and throwing in what I had (and thought would taste good together). The soup was terrific and made something like 10 big portions with just 1 pound of beef (that shoulder steak I mentioned!). I have a bunch of bowls of it in my freezer now -- I bet it will taste great when I get home from work on a snowy day this winter. Picture below from the "dinner" thread ...

Let us know if you find and try a great recipe online! Good luck!

Old 08-28-2022, 02:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 980,404 times
Definitely use a crock pot liner with it , no clean up , plus gives that extra seal ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes