Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 05:59 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

This is the best Oatmeal Cookie recipe, if you like crisp cookies. It’s from my grandmother, born in 1886. I like dunking them in coffee.

I use Crisco, because I think they hold their shape better than with butter. Also, I usually double it. I don’t roll them in wax paper and refrigerate, but I just roll into balls and bake on parchment.

Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. soda
1 1/2 cups Quick oats
1/4 cup nuts (optional)

Mix shortening and sugars, add egg and vanilla
Sift dry ingredients together and add to batter. Stir in oats and nuts.
Shape in roll in wax paper and chill.
Slice in 1/4" slices and bake on cookie sheet.
350 for about 12 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 10:16 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Nonna made the best ravioli. As a child, I was mildly disgusted that they contained spinach, but the fact they also had calf brains didn't bother me at all.

I'm sorry I never learned to make them.

Nonna's sister made lovely "waffle cookies;" she refused to give anyone the recipe, took it to her grave.
ravioli with Calf brains in it?

Old 09-12-2022, 10:20 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
My grandmother's roast chicken dinner served with Peas that she roasted in the chicken drippings served sour cream on the side. Her Kruschiki cookies. My other grandmother did not cook much but her butter horn cookie recipe is my favorite.

Old 09-18-2022, 02:29 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Mommy Dearest fancied herself a good cook, but it was hard to live an Italian neighborhood and go home to pasta with a can of tomato soup dumped on it. Oven baked Banquet pot pies were her weeknight specialty and PB sandwiches for lunch every day. Grandpa from her side of the family would buy and sell restaurants for a hobby...go figure what happened.

Grandma from the other side of the family, worked all her life and would make enough pierogi for the week, which I still miss today. Kiebasi with cabbage and potatoes were another favorite from her but nothing ever beat her Hunter's stew with mashed potatoes. Since she was from the farming region of L'viv, she always grew her own beets for soup as well as horseradish.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:50 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I didn't know my grandmothers, but my mother had her favorite recipes. The one I remember best is that she often cooked pot roast in the old-fashioned pressure cooker (I still have mine) and she had her favorite cookie recipe which I posed about in another thread. Another favorite of hers was tuna casserole. I always think of my childhood when I make those dishes.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:33 AM

34 posts, read 12,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Nonna made the best ravioli. As a child, I was mildly disgusted that they contained spinach, but the fact they also had calf brains didn't bother me at all.

I'm sorry I never learned to make them.

Nonna's sister made lovely "waffle cookies;" she refused to give anyone the recipe, took it to her grave.
Calf brains
I have heard that brains are very nutritious. Myself, I don’t think I could eat it.
Waffle cookies, that sounds interesting.

I have some family members who will not give out their recipes.
I wish they would

Old 10-02-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post
One of my grandmothers (Acadian) apparently used to love to make head cheese. I'm so glad she passed away long before I came along.

My other grandmother made amazing baked beans. She was quite a cook. She'd worked as a cook in Boston for a couple of years, in the 1920s. She was a big fan of the Fanny Farmer cook book. I've got a copy. I also have her old handwritten recipe book. Including the baked beans recipe.
Thanks for sharing that is really a neat piece of history.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is the best Oatmeal Cookie recipe, if you like crisp cookies. It’s from my grandmother, born in 1886. I like dunking them in coffee.

I use Crisco, because I think they hold their shape better than with butter. Also, I usually double it. I don’t roll them in wax paper and refrigerate, but I just roll into balls and bake on parchment.

Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. soda
1 1/2 cups Quick oats
1/4 cup nuts (optional)

Mix shortening and sugars, add egg and vanilla
Sift dry ingredients together and add to batter. Stir in oats and nuts.
Shape in roll in wax paper and chill.
Slice in 1/4" slices and bake on cookie sheet.
350 for about 12 minutes.
Thank you gentlehearts for sharing your recipe!
I have noticed a lot of recipes from a long time ago used shortening and not much butter for baking cookies.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I didn't know my grandmothers, but my mother had her favorite recipes. The one I remember best is that she often cooked pot roast in the old-fashioned pressure cooker (I still have mine) and she had her favorite cookie recipe which I posed about in another thread. Another favorite of hers was tuna casserole. I always think of my childhood when I make those dishes.
We ate allot of tuna noodle casserole growing up. We grew up pretty poor, and it was a cheap meal. I still like it today.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Mommy Dearest fancied herself a good cook, but it was hard to live an Italian neighborhood and go home to pasta with a can of tomato soup dumped on it. Oven baked Banquet pot pies were her weeknight specialty and PB sandwiches for lunch every day. Grandpa from her side of the family would buy and sell restaurants for a hobby...go figure what happened.

Grandma from the other side of the family, worked all her life and would make enough pierogi for the week, which I still miss today. Kiebasi with cabbage and potatoes were another favorite from her but nothing ever beat her Hunter's stew with mashed potatoes. Since she was from the farming region of L'viv, she always grew her own beets for soup as well as horseradish.
Is your grandma German? That sounds like German food. Sounds good. I liked cooked cabbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes