Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2022, 06:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 998,207 times

Advertisements

Hi

I use Silk's Chocolate Almond Milk to make smoothies. I want to get away from sugar, but can not find unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk, as I can Vanilla. I figured I can get some unsweetened plain Almond Milk, and add some cocoa to make Chocolate Almond Milk. I tried, starting with sweetened plain, but it didn't turn out too well. It wasn't terrible, but t was nothing like the CAM I buy.

I used Valrhona cocoa, which is supposed to be a HQ cocoa, but am wondering if there is something else that might be better? Anyone ever try this before?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 02:53 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,220,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi

I use Silk's Chocolate Almond Milk to make smoothies. I want to get away from sugar, but can not find unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk, as I can Vanilla. I figured I can get some unsweetened plain Almond Milk, and add some cocoa to make Chocolate Almond Milk. I tried, starting with sweetened plain, but it didn't turn out too well. It wasn't terrible, but t was nothing like the CAM I buy.

I used Valrhona cocoa, which is supposed to be a HQ cocoa, but am wondering if there is something else that might be better? Anyone ever try this before?
You are missing a sweetener. Cocoa without it is going to be ghastly.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:16 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
It's a matter of taste, yes? Perhaps quality, also.

Remember that it was the lost tribes of Olmecs and later the Mayans who grew their own cocoa and that was very bitter, indeed. The original is not a sweet drink

Years ago I read that it's the 90-95% cocoa chocolate that has the best health benefits. So I gradually started eating my way up the scale. Have always preferred a dark chocolate anyway. Now many other chocolate preparations are too sweet. Lindt or Girardelli.

And I find that almond milk has a sort of buffer against bitter to my taste. I use it all the time now for my chai and find it superior.

A quick google found this spendy Mexican style chocolate which would be very similar to chocolate flavored chai. I imagine a search around might find you something less expensive.

Should you prefer something more plain it is considered kosher to use a little honey.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:34 PM

33,286 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a matter of taste, yes? Perhaps quality, also.

Remember that it was the lost tribes of Olmecs and later the Mayans who grew their own cocoa and that was very bitter, indeed. The original is not a sweet drink

Years ago I read that it's the 90-95% cocoa chocolate that has the best health benefits. So I gradually started eating my way up the scale. Have always preferred a dark chocolate anyway. Now many other chocolate preparations are too sweet. Lindt or Girardelli.

And I find that almond milk has a sort of buffer against bitter to my taste. I use it all the time now for my chai and find it superior.

A quick google found this spendy Mexican style chocolate which would be very similar to chocolate flavored chai. I imagine a search around might find you something less expensive.

Should you prefer something more plain it is considered kosher to use a little honey.
Honey makes a great sweetener to go with unsweetened cocoa.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:50 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
I meant to post the site of the Mayan Cocoa powder.

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/products/mayan-cocoa

Old 09-20-2022, 07:03 AM

20,692 posts, read 4,459,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi

Here you go:

https://www.bluediamond.com/brand/al...ate-almondmilk

https://www.bluediamond.com/product-locator

Or you can go with Nesquik NSA powder.

https://www.goodnes.com/nesquik/prod...der-16-oz-tub/

But this will take a bit of trial/error to get the right Dark Chocolate Taste.

FYI: Silk Dark Chocolate Almond is also good. I don't think it comes in unsweetened.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I tried, starting with sweetened plain

Old 09-20-2022, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the suggs - will check them out.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:30 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Cocoa is bitter. That's all there is to it.

To reduce sugar, you could melt semi-sweet chocolate and use that, or if you want no sugar, melt baking chocolate and use that, but be aware, chocolate really needs to be sweetened to be palatable. Maybe if the fruit you are using contains enough sugar, it would turn out OK.

Cocoa powder is resistant to liquid until you heat it. If you are making hot cocoa out of cocoa powder, you have to heat it with water to liquefy it before you mix it with milk. If you want to put cocoa powder into a smoothy, heat it with a bit a liquid first before you mix it in with the smoothy.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:05 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,202,279 times
Thumbs up Great ideas in this thread! Many Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Here you go:

https://www.bluediamond.com/brand/al...ate-almondmilk

https://www.bluediamond.com/product-locator

Or you can go with Nesquik NSA powder.

https://www.goodnes.com/nesquik/prod...der-16-oz-tub/

But this will take a bit of trial/error to get the right Dark Chocolate Taste.

FYI: Silk Dark Chocolate Almond is also good. I don't think it comes in unsweetened.

Very helpful links. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes