Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 07:15 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,850,533 times

Advertisements

Purchased a bag of fresh collards. Two hours boil, simmer ? ! Removed the thick stems, yes ?

What other greens do you cook ?

Intend to add the pinto beans, told to add a can of tomato sauce to the bean with a cup of chicken broth ? Is this/should this be thick or thin ?

Buttermilk cornbread will.complete the meal, tomorrow.

Thank you, this is all new to me !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 07:43 PM

23,672 posts, read 70,796,309 times
Yes to remove the most stout ribs. Remove any yellow or damaged parts as well and cut to fork size pieces.

Double wash and pot with water.

Add some granulated sugar and salt and allow to boil down. Tastes will vary. A tiny amount of sugar for purists, more for those who have never had collards.

Two hours is about right for me. Some cook them into extreme submission.

Remove and add butter or bacon fat and salt to taste.

Add heat if you want - tobasco, whatever.

Serve with pulled pork or ham.

The beans thing varies. (Separate dish) Some want something akin to pork n beans, some richer with sorghum or molasses.

Look up cast iron skillet cornbread. The varieties of cornbread are crazy. Some cornbread can't be eaten without loads of butter or some pot likker.

This is a heavy meal, there is no way around it. Make sure guests are hungry before serving.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:20 AM

131,561 posts, read 12,321,976 times
You asked about other greens, I love spinach. Here is an easy creamed spinach recipe. Fry some bacon, take bacon out & throw in fresh spinach. Add salt & pepper. While the spinach is wilting in the bacon fat, chop up the bacon. I make it creamed by adding plain yogurt, but you can use sour cream too. Add the yogurt/cream & stir well. Top with the bacon bits. This is a nice side dish & goes with many things.

You can also add onions & garlic if you wish ( at the beginning )

Old 09-22-2022, 05:37 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,298,731 times
Turnip greens are my favorite. I like them with homemade pepper sauce (hot peppers in white vinegar), fresh sliced tomatoes and hot cornbread.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:56 AM

9,595 posts, read 5,383,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Purchased a bag of fresh collards. Two hours boil, simmer ? ! Removed the thick stems, yes ?

What other greens do you cook ?

Intend to add the pinto beans, told to add a can of tomato sauce to the bean with a cup of chicken broth ? Is this/should this be thick or thin ?

Buttermilk cornbread will.complete the meal, tomorrow.

Thank you, this is all new to me !
hmmm....I just remove the ribs, give it a rough chop and saute' in butter and garlic. salt and pepper and good to go.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:10 AM

4,699 posts, read 2,850,877 times
Two hours seems way excessive even for collards the toughest of the common greens. I like my greens to have some "tooth" to them; what might be called "al dente". Cut them into little squares about 1" (roughly) and they'll cook faster.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:17 AM

24,862 posts, read 11,322,395 times
I do not cook them to death. Clean, chop, sautee in butter/olive oile or with copped onion/bacon. Salt/pepper/heat.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:32 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,043,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You asked about other greens, I love spinach.
Not sure if the wording is right, but
"I was kale, before kale was cool"

Old 09-22-2022, 06:33 AM

4,699 posts, read 2,850,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I do not cook them to death. Clean, chop, sautee in butter/olive oile or with copped onion/bacon. Salt/pepper/heat.
I've done the sautee/stir fry thing a couple times and was very pleased with the results. That's how I usually do kale but for some reason I usually boil collards.

I generally just eat them plain with a little pepper sauce (if you don't know what this is, look up "Trappey's peppers in vinegar"; Southerners and Texans will understand). But I LIKE the taste of pretty much all greens.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:17 AM

32,765 posts, read 48,508,866 times
Boil for two hours? Got to make sure every vitamin in there is thoroughly killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes