Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2022, 06:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, can you speed up dough rising?

Nothing specific in mind... bread or pizza dough?

Would steaming move it along in rising or just cook it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 06:20 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You mean quicker than an hour? The more yeast you use, the faster dough will rise. If you let dough with a lot of yeast rise too long, it will taste very yeasty. This is why a no rise dough that rises all day only has a 1/4-1/2t. of yeast in it.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:30 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I usually use the quick 3 hour recipe, but tried this and it works well too. The regular quick no knead from this site is wonderful, very consistently good.

https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes...o-knead-bread/

Old 10-09-2022, 06:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Out of curiosity, can you speed up dough rising?

Nothing specific in mind... bread or pizza dough?

Would steaming move it along in rising or just cook it?
When I want to move things along, I'll put the bowl with the bread in it in the oven on the lowest rack as the oven is always a nice temperature for rising bread due to the pilot light. When I lived in places that had the old-fashioned radiators, in the wintertime I would use their heat to get bread to rise more quickly.

Keeping in mind that most people no longer use ovens that have pilot lights or live in places with steam heat, another trick that I've used is to warm the pottery bowl that I like to use for dough before putting the bread in it as it kind of gives it a bit of a jump start. Running the bowl under the hottest of water that comes out the tap, then drying and oiling it seems to do the trick as the pottery retains the warmth for a while.

Still another trick is to turn the oven on its lowest setting, turn it off once it hits the right temperature for rising bread without killing the yeast, then popping the bowl of dough in it to rise. Often, I'll put a pan of hot water in there, too, to add a bit of moisture as I usually cover rising dough with a linen tea towel rather than plastic.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You mean quicker than an hour? The more yeast you use, the faster dough will rise. If you let dough with a lot of yeast rise too long, it will taste very yeasty. This is why a no rise dough that rises all day only has a 1/4-1/2t. of yeast in it.
I may be in the minority, but I love that yeasty taste. Once I made pizza dough from a recipe that said to leave it for 24-hrs... it was wonderful, but it depends on where one lives. When in FL, where critters get inside no matter what you do, I woudn't want to leave food on the countertop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I usually use the quick 3 hour recipe, but tried this and it works well too. The regular quick no knead from this site is wonderful, very consistently good.

https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes...o-knead-bread/
I should have specified that I meant basically mixing it up & baking. 3-hrs isn't a short time. I tried some recipes without yeast & they can be baked right away, but I miss the texture & flavor of the yeast.

I guess I'm asking for something that's nonsensical... you've got to give the yeast time to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
When I want to move things along, I'll put the bowl with the bread in it in the oven on the lowest rack as the oven is always a nice temperature for rising bread due to the pilot light. When I lived in places that had the old-fashioned radiators, in the wintertime I would use their heat to get bread to rise more quickly.

Keeping in mind that most people no longer use ovens that have pilot lights or live in places with steam heat, another trick that I've used is to warm the pottery bowl that I like to use for dough before putting the bread in it as it kind of gives it a bit of a jump start. Running the bowl under the hottest of water that comes out the tap, then drying and oiling it seems to do the trick as the pottery retains the warmth for a while.

Still another trick is to turn the oven on its lowest setting, turn it off once it hits the right temperature for rising bread without killing the yeast, then popping the bowl of dough in it to rise. Often, I'll put a pan of hot water in there, too, to add a bit of moisture as I usually cover rising dough with a linen tea towel rather than plastic.
Thx for the reminder, I forgot that heat kills the yeast. You've done all the things I have way back when... resting on the radiator, etc. And, yeah, I really miss having a gas oven. It's all in what one's used to but when I was a kid, my mum even baked in a coal stove & set pies on the window sill to cool. Different times.

TY very much for the thoughtful replies. I didn't have a well thought out q... basically, the answer is no.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:25 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
gentle heat speeds rising.
I put a pan of hot water in the oven (there's no pilot light), to create a "proofing" box.
The top of the fridge is usually warmer than the rest of the kitchen, so that's a good spot.
Cover the top of the dough bowl to keep out drafts.

I know some pizza recipes claim they take less than an hour start to finish, haven't tried them.

And you can make dough in advance, fridge or freeze it, then just do the final rise.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I know some pizza recipes claim they take less than an hour start to finish, haven't tried them.
I find those crusts to be crunchy like a hard cracker & flat. Tried a couple... hate them all. It's like pizza for the crowd who thinks English muffin 'pizza' is good. No offense, with 7 kids, my mum used to do this.

I do the old fashioned rise, was just wondering if there were tricks to cut the time in 1/2. As I said above, I don't think it's a process that can be rushed.

Quote:
And you can make dough in advance, fridge or freeze it, then just do the final rise.
You could, but nah, I like fresh. The only things ever in my freezer are ice packs for sore muscles & headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes