Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 07:34 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,251,173 times

Advertisements

The easiest trick for the pie crust is to not use any water - that is where the troubles with gluten starts - is it cold, icy, not cold enough -too much variety depending what the room temperature is and your water temperature, humidity affecting the flour, etc

Another tip - the French technique - is room temperature butter squished into the flour. You could find the way the do it on YT

Try this recipe if you may find it easier

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...eam_pie_crust/

In addition- it is not classic, but so tasty - find grandma Ople apple pie recipe if you are interested.

The family won’t accept any other apple pie anymore after trying that one. The only variation they accept is crumb topping instead of lattice- when we go for variety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 12:56 PM

12,182 posts, read 8,570,332 times
When I was sixteen Mom took time to show me how to make a pie crust. Then I practiced for a couple of decades. LOL. It the end I'm convinced a pure leaf lard makes the best crust.

harry chickpea has given you a generous store of knowledge in the instruction post. So glad, OP, that you are determined and have received encouragement.

There are plenty of fine enough substitutes but I'm always happier serving a pie that I did myself. So a coup of comment.

If you can find someone to demonstrate that's worth its weight in gold. Knowing what the "feel" is helps.

I often forgo the cold butter because I think it makes it more difficult to work with. I can and will for special company. About 1 part butter to two parts lard.

I add up to a fourth a cup of sugar to my dessert pie's double crust. Especially if I'm cutting the sugar in the filling. That will help your crust brown more evenly.

You can also try lightly brushing milk over the top to aid in browning.

Finally. I make my edges covering before I put the pie in the oven. Fold a pie-sized piece of aluminum foil in half and cut a half circle smaller than the pie on the folded side. You might find a plate smaller than your pie dish will work well to mark it.

When you open it out you will have a square of aluminum foil with a circular hole. I put this lightly on the pie when I put the pie in the over. Check it every so often and judge when the best time to remove it is to finish up the edges.

Good luck and remember - no pie is bad pie. There are only better pies.

Edited to add: Some people will substitute a Tablespoon of white vinegar for one of the Tablespoons of water to the crust. They say it makes a flakier, more workable crust. I have done so and think it does help. You can't taste the vinegar in the baked product.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:56 AM

50,517 posts, read 64,471,095 times
I’m not familiar with the dough recipe you used, but if a dough is too tender to work with easily, I don’t hesitate to add flour generously until it’s more workable. Also, you can roll the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap, if it’s very tender. There is a dough recipe I use sometimes with an egg in it, and it must be rolled between the plastic wrap.

I’m not afraid to manhandle it or reroll it if the first try doesn’t work out. My dough always has a bit of citrus juice in it. I think it makes it more tender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes