Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 09:03 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times

Advertisements

Decades ago, my wife finished a jar of sweet gherkins, and had a brainstorm -- repiickle something in the juice. She cut up a bunch of Watermelon Rind, boiled it a while in the juice, , and they were absolutely delicious. It worked several more times in the same juice.

So -- what did she do Right, just by luck? Anyone ever try something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 09:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
I try something new every week. I have been working with my air fryer this week and am trying out a few things. These include:

1) Homemade tortilla chips and tortilla strips for salad topping.
2) Coating chicken with corn starch to increase tenderness and crispiness.
3) Roasting zucchini.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:20 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I used to send real (i.e., salt fermented, no vinegar) kosher pickles to my parents in FL and told my mother not to toss the brine. She boiled it and used it just as OP's wife did and became a pickle maker.

I recently decided to try making Chinese New Year mooncakes because there's a baking book out by a Chinese baker who grew up in the US and it has wonderful fusion recipes like honey pistachio (read: baklava) mooncakes. Anyway, the recipe calls for both Golden Syrup and lye water, which can be bought - but they can also be made at home and I made them. The golden syrup has some kind of complex chemistry going on that causes invert sugar (something with the glucose and sucrose) and I can't begin to describe the taste and how it's different from corn syrup or sugar syrup. I haven't gotten to the mooncakes yet, but I can hardly wait. So that'll be three experiments in one.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:30 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Decades ago, my wife finished a jar of sweet gherkins, and had a brainstorm -- repiickle something in the juice. She cut up a bunch of Watermelon Rind, boiled it a while in the juice, , and they were absolutely delicious. It worked several more times in the same juice.

Yeah. I do that and also pickle onions - take some and add some. Always have pickled onions (red) on hand. Sometimes i will pickle mushrooms in a leftover pickle juice or garlic.

Also always save gravy/sauce leftover and meat, if isn't enough for one portion. I will plan to cook a soup where i could incorporate those leftovers. Sometimes my dishes have several different leftovers added over a period of few days.
I have zero waste policy in my home.

As of trying experimental things - i think most of my cooking is experimental. I never follow any recipes and often try to create a dish that i saw only on picture or ate in a restaurant.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
I found an interesting secret about broccoli and similar vegs. Just throw them straight in the freezer, no blanching. Freezing and cooking both do the same to cell structure, so after freezing, they're "cooked" -- just rewarm and serve. Same for any vegs that you buy frozeb -- ignore package directions an toss them in boiling water umtil rewarmed. Or just steam them.

Green peas in a freezer bag? Put a pat of butter in a pan,put it on high, fork-stir a minute until frost steams away == lovely.

Last edited by arr430; 01-05-2023 at 05:18 AM..

Old 01-06-2023, 08:40 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I try something new every week. I have been working with my air fryer this week and am trying out a few things. These include:

1) Homemade tortilla chips and tortilla strips for salad topping.
2) Coating chicken with corn starch to increase tenderness and crispiness.
3) Roasting zucchini.
I roasted some eggplant and then Brocolli in the air fryer, and then added it to a ziti (pasta) dish a while back, it came out great. I'm loving my air fryer more than I thought I would. Roasted Brussels sprouts are also incredible in it.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:59 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah. I do that and also pickle onions - take some and add some. Always have pickled onions (red) on hand. Sometimes i will pickle mushrooms in a leftover pickle juice or garlic.

Also always save gravy/sauce leftover and meat, if isn't enough for one portion. I will plan to cook a soup where i could incorporate those leftovers. Sometimes my dishes have several different leftovers added over a period of few days.

I have zero waste policy in my home.

As of trying experimental things - i think most of my cooking is experimental. I never follow any recipes and often try to create a dish that i saw only on picture or ate in a restaurant.
Except for the sentence in red, we sound very similar.

Leftover au just becomes soup or broth for rice, stews, etc. I rarely use a recipe, except when trying to learn new things. Lately it's been cream sauces and curries. I've also been playing with rice flour.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:24 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
I love trying something new!!

I “ corned” my own beef for boiled dinner
I tried Corning a boneless pork roast … and slow cooked
It was awesome!

My father use to “pickle” cooked steamer clams we had jars of them!! Awesome!!

At work …I encourage creativity and initiative to try something new
I made a pizza sausage a while ago and sold a lot!!

I once made a venison crown roast .. for a family member and it looked great!! ( he asked if I could process his deer) never seen one before

Old 01-07-2023, 07:39 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

Was she pregnant?

Can't imagine how "pickled watermelon rind" could possibly sound like a good idea!

Old 01-08-2023, 01:36 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Was she pregnant?

Can't imagine how "pickled watermelon rind" could possibly sound like a good idea!
It's very common, though I've never had it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes