Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:43 AM

5,330 posts, read 3,210,678 times

Advertisements

Hi all, was going through some of my cookbooks looking for new dinner ideas. Came across the Coconut Lime Rice with Red Beans in my Thug Kitchen cookbook. Sounds like a great side that will go well with fish, the problem is I'm unsure on the fish and or seasoning to use. My "go to" is Mahi Mahi with blackened seasoning but I'm not feeling it with this side.

Suggestions on the fish and seasoning you'd serve with this side? The recipe is here (https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/thug-...-mango/2214757). I'm figuring the forward flavors will be the creaminess of the coconut milk and then the mango. I'm thinking some tropical or Thai seasoning or preparation? These two styles are not in my repertoire so I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:02 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
I am on vacation in Florida so I cannot access my cookbooks but I recall a recipe for Mahi Mahi wrapped in banana leaves with lime and chilis then steamed that ought to fit right in with the rice and beans recipe.
I think it was in a cookbook I got at Tommy Bahama but I'll bet you can google one up!!

Old 02-12-2023, 09:11 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Hi all, was going through some of my cookbooks looking for new dinner ideas. Came across the Coconut Lime Rice with Red Beans in my Thug Kitchen cookbook. Sounds like a great side that will go well with fish, the problem is I'm unsure on the fish and or seasoning to use. My "go to" is Mahi Mahi with blackened seasoning but I'm not feeling it with this side.

Suggestions on the fish and seasoning you'd serve with this side? The recipe is here (https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/thug-...-mango/2214757). I'm figuring the forward flavors will be the creaminess of the coconut milk and then the mango. I'm thinking some tropical or Thai seasoning or preparation? These two styles are not in my repertoire so I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!
I've never heard anyone else mention that they had a Thug Kitchen cookbook. Excellent cookbook with good recipes and a laugh every time I open it.

When I'm grilling fish my go-to method is a simple marinade in Good Seasons Italian salad dressing before grilling and then drizzling the left over marinade over the coals (I use charcoal, not gas) to get a little extra smoky flavor. I serve with chili crisps and/or pepper jelly.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:10 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Miso glazed was my first thought.

Maybe a Thai curry. They tend to be lighter than Indian curries and are coconut milk based like your rice recipe.

ETA: I remember making pan fried fish with a recipe very similar to this one. I think it would be wonderful with that rice. Advice: if you can't get or don't like thai basil, leave it out. Don't replace it with regular/ Italian basil. https://www.thespruceeats.com/thai-p...d-fish-3217582

(PS I would very leaving the beans out of the rice. I just don't get why they are there.)

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-12-2023 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-13-2023, 06:07 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I like my fish with just butter, salt and pepper and lemon, but how about just using lime, instead of lemon?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:55 AM

5,330 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Thanks all for the recommendations!

@Jkgourmet - agree regarding the beans but the cookbook is generally geared towards incorporating more vegetables in the diet. I figure beans being practically flavorless won't add or take away any flavor but will give a good boost of fiber.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:35 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
If you want to try Thai curry flavors, Mae Ploy Thai curry paste is an easy shortcut. The Thai spices are very flavorful, with a bit of heat, but not burn-out-your-tastebuds hot.

I made a big pot of Thai curry yesterday for a superbowl party; there was almost nothing left at the end, even though there was a ton of other food.

super easy: bloom the spices in the paste by frying in a little oil. Add whatever meat and veggies you like (I used chicken and sweet potatoes, then added cooked and drained cabbage at the end). Add coconut milk and simmer (crockpot!) until everything is cooked. Serve over rice; I like Thai red rice, a.k.a., cargo rice.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:05 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Old Bay

Old 02-13-2023, 03:25 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I like to use lemon pepper on my fish and even use it in tuna salad.

Since I've started growing a few of our favorite herbs I sometimes pick a sprig of tarragon and roast the fish on top of it to add a good flavor.

But I think with the lime rice you could even go with a sweet-sour fruit salsa. Mango?

Maybe fry up a few plantains for counterbalance.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I use Joe's Seasoning from the New Orleans School of Cooking for fish and seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes