Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 05:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

I'm first generation Hungarian born in the US. Both of my parents came over in the late 50's. My mother made stuffed cabbage a few times, it was more so stuffed peppers where we used sour cream.

I make a Hungarian chicken dish with paprika sauce that also calls for sour cream but that's not how I grew up, never used sour cream with the chicken. I'll have to try it one day.

My aunt cooked more Hungarian dishes then my mother.

I haven't made stuffed cabbage yet but it's on my winter dinner list. I'll use the same filling I do for stuffed peppers which is pretty much the first recipe posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 11:06 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My grand mother was Polish and she called is Galumpki. I made it once leaves were not soft. I will try again
My aunt married a Polish man from Chicago. When I visited they made them for me. Don't know how they spelled it but they pronounced it "Wump - kee."

All those old countries had many different dialects in a very small area of land.

I used to bring a large pot of water to boil and put the cabbage leaves in for a little while to soften. Sometimes of the rib of the cabbage was too thick I'd cut the fattest part out. It turns into a major undertaking for such a humble dish.

I agree that those old peasant food dishes, making something from the everyday mundane, are the most satisfying comfort food you can have. Good principle of mental health to stay connected to your genetic roots. I suspect our bodies "know."

Old 10-07-2023, 12:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My aunt married a Polish man from Chicago. When I visited they made them for me. Don't know how they spelled it but they pronounced it "Wump - kee."

All those old countries had many different dialects in a very small area of land.

I used to bring a large pot of water to boil and put the cabbage leaves in for a little while to soften. Sometimes of the rib of the cabbage was too thick I'd cut the fattest part out. It turns into a major undertaking for such a humble dish.

I agree that those old peasant food dishes, making something from the everyday mundane, are the most satisfying comfort food you can have. Good principle of mental health to stay connected to your genetic roots. I suspect our bodies "know."

My taste-buds certainly do!

Old 10-07-2023, 01:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Someone asked about what I stuffed them with, so here’s the recipe. I usually tend to under season foods. This one scared me, but it is very flavorful, and we liked it.
4 cloves minced garlic
1 T garlic salt
1 T onion powder
4 cloves of garlic AND a tablespoon (big T=tablespoon, small t=teaspoon) each of garlic salt and onion powder?
I wouldn't call that under-seasonsed.

Old 10-07-2023, 01:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
I'd never heard of stuffed cabbage until I went to college! I was raised in Alabama but our sorority housemother was from Michigan.

Old 10-07-2023, 01:48 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've attempted to make stuffed cabbage rolls. Tried it a couple of times with a friend. We've never managed to get the leaves pliable enough, even after trimming the stems. They just don't fold very well. I think we were missing the instruction the OP gave about discarding the outer leaves, because they're too tough. Still, it seems like there's a trick to it that we're missing.
(
Ruth - I lay each leaf down. I cut out the thickness section of the stem beginning at the bottom of the leaf. It looks like a ^ The widest part is the bottom of the stem. The point is in the center of the leaf.

I find that Savoy cabbage has thinner leaves and is much easier to work with.

Thanks to gentlearts for bringing up such a good discussion.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:18 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
4 cloves of garlic AND a tablespoon (big T=tablespoon, small t=teaspoon) each of garlic salt and onion powder?
I wouldn't call that under-seasonsed.
I know, right? That was me saying I under-season things, usually.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:52 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Definitely with sour cream! The local Russian restaurant where I live even puts packets of sour cream in the bag when people order cabbage rolls for takeout. Most Russian food is accompanied by sour cream, including borsht.

I've attempted to make stuffed cabbage rolls. Tried it a couple of times with a friend. We've never managed to get the leaves pliable enough, even after trimming the stems. They just don't fold very well. I think we were missing the instruction the OP gave about discarding the outer leaves, because they're too tough. Still, it seems like there's a trick to it that we're missing.

I found a recipe online for carrot sauce instead of tomato-based sauce, which is much more common. The local restaurant uses carrot sauce, and it's delicious! It lends a natural sweetness to the sauce, so there's no need to add sugar. I'm now hooked on it. All I have to do now, is master the art of preparing and folding the leaves.
About the leaves not rolling well…… Either you didn’t simmer them long enough, or you didn’t shave the stems enough. If you do both of these things, the stem end should be just as pliable as the rest of the leaf. I know most people cut out the stem entirely (even Ina Garten does) but then, I think, it is harder to fully enclose the filling, especially as the leaves get smaller.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:53 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
About the leaves not rolling well…… Either you didn’t simmer them long enough, or you didn’t shave the stems enough. If you do both of these things, the stem end should be just as pliable as the rest of the leaf. I know most people cut out the stem entirely (even Ina Garten does) but then, I think, it is harder to fully enclose the filling, especially as the leaves get smaller.
Yes, we tried cutting out the stems, but then you're left with an oddly-shaped leaf to work with. I don't know how people are able to work with that. I'll try your method, of simmering them longer, and shaving the stems. Thanks for posting!

Old 10-10-2023, 10:38 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My favorite meal and not to go off thread was when my polish grandmother made roasted chicken and served sour cream on the side. Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes