Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2023, 12:04 PM

973 posts, read 517,163 times

Advertisements

With salmon getting more expensive (even the pink variety), I decided to try one of the cheaper wild caught fish in Walmart's freezers. My first attempt at broiling the fillets like I do salmon at high temp w/ the fish liberally doused w/ black pepper and Louisiana Hot Sauce didn't work. Whiting really isn't meant for that, it's far too delicate.

There were a few other failures, and finally out of desperation I gave the fillets a minimal sprinkling of hot sauce and fresh black pepper and seared it in olive oil in a pan. It only needs about 2 minutes on high for each side, and I cover it to make sure it's cooked on the inside and browned on the outside.

Success! The fish didn't fall apart, and it was delicious served w/ creamy horseradish sauce and lemon on the side. Add a nice salad and you have a meal that's healthy, quick to prepare, easy to clean up and very low calorie.

Does anyone else have recipes for this fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 12:50 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
One of the reasons it is cheap is that it absorbs more water and poly sodium phosphate so that what you are buying is water with a side of fish. After pressing part of the Hudson River out of one, I gave up.

Congrats on finding something that works with it.

Old 10-22-2023, 03:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
With salmon getting more expensive (even the pink variety), I decided to try one of the cheaper wild caught fish in Walmart's freezers. My first attempt at broiling the fillets like I do salmon at high temp w/ the fish liberally doused w/ black pepper and Louisiana Hot Sauce didn't work. Whiting really isn't meant for that, it's far too delicate.

I think whiting can be used in most recipes that call for cod fish. Ditto for pollack.

However, I really try to avoid Walmart for its fish as it has been some of the worst fish that I have bought. In general, I have found Safeway to be the best and then Kroger. Trader Joe's has excellent fish but at a much higher price point.

Old 10-22-2023, 03:42 PM

130,089 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think whiting can be used in most recipes that call for cod fish. Ditto for pollack.

However, I really try to avoid Walmart for its fish as it has been some of the worst fish that I have bought. In general, I have found Safeway to be the best and then Kroger. Trader Joe's has excellent fish but at a much higher price point.
Thanks, I have had whiting in fish & chips at a sea port in Ireland. I will see what kind of prices they have locally.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

There were a few other failures, and finally out of desperation I gave the fillets a minimal sprinkling of hot sauce and fresh black pepper and seared it in olive oil in a pan. It only needs about 2 minutes on high for each side, and I cover it to make sure it's cooked on the inside and browned on the outside.

Success! The fish didn't fall apart, and it was delicious served w/ creamy horseradish sauce and lemon on the side. Add a nice salad and you have a meal that's healthy, quick to prepare, easy to clean up and very low calorie.

Does anyone else have recipes for this fish?

No recipe but I can tell you that Whiting is delicious when smoked. We used to go fishing off the NJ shore and often caught Whiting. Going home to N NJ we'd pass some smoke houses that would exchange some raw fish for smoked, I forget if it was one or two raw for one smoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes