Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Thanks, that pie sounds absolutely wonderful!
You're welcome!

Here is another recipe that I forgot I had.

Baked Sweet Onions

6 Walla Walla Sweet or Vidalia onions
3 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Peel the onions and trim the root end. Be careful to leave the core in place in order to hold each onion together as it cooks. Make 3 or 4 cuts across the top of each onion, cutting only two thirds of the way down to create 6 to 8 partially cut wedges.

Set each onion in the center of a double-layered foil square, root-end down. Sprinkle the onions with the salt, pepper, and herbs, and top each with 1 tablespoon butter and the Parmesan cheese. Pull the foil up over each onion, creating a pouch and leaving the top of the onion exposed. Pour 1 tablespoon vinegar into each onion.

Bake onions in a 350F oven until tender.

Place each onion in an individual bowl. The onion will spread open like a flower in the bowl. Pour the juices that have accumulated in the foil pouch over the onion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,222 times
I will be trying that one! It sounds heavenly!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Those recipes sound great!

We slice our vidalia onions about 1/2" thick, spray both sides with plenty of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then grill them directly on the grill.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM

I bet that is good! Thanks!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:33 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,562 times
My family often has creamed onions for Thanksgiving. I've provided a recipe for them as well as a couple of others, including a variation on stuffed Vidalia onions my Mama makes.

Vegetables 748 (Vegetable Casserole 248 - Onion Casserole 08 - Vidalia Onion Pie with Mushrooms)

1 large Vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (substitute any other type mushrooms if desired)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 frozen (9-inch) deep-dish pastry shell, thawed

1. Sauté onion and mushrooms in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 15 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir together eggs and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in onion mixture. Spoon mixture into pastry shell, and place on a baking sheet.
3. Bake on lower oven rack at 350°F for 45 minutes or until done.

Yields 4 to 6 servings

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||

Vegetables 251 (Onions 01 - Creamed Onions)

3 lbs. pearl onions (peeled)
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup butter
5 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
sherry or cheese (if desired)
1. Place the onions in a saucepan and just cover them with water and ½ tsp. of the salt. Bring the water to a boil cover the pot and cook for 20 to 25 minutes OR skip this step and use canned or frozen onions.
2. In another pan melt the butter and slowly stir in the flour and ½ tsp. salt. Add the milk gradually and stir constantly until the sauce thickens. If desired stir in a few dashes of sherry or a handful of your favorite cheese.
3. Drain the onions and stir them into the sauce. Heat onions all the way through and serve.

VARIATIONS: Top with (additional) cheese, crumbled bacon, etc.
Yields 10 servings

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||

Vegetables 257 (Onions 07 - Stuffed Vidalia Onions - Mama's)

4 Vidalia onions
¼ cup milk
3 tbs. butter or margarine
¼ cup grated sharp cheese
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup chopped pecans
1 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Boil onion in salted water to which the milk has been added. When almost tender, drain. Cut a slice from the top of each onion and scoop out most of the inside, leaving at least 2 layers of onion intact. Chop the onion that was removes and sauté in hal of the butter. Stir in ¾ cup of breadcrumbs, cheese, salt and pepper to taste, Worcestershire sauce, and pecans. Mix well and fill the onion, but do not pack. Place in a buttered casserole with the onion close together. Top with remaining breadcrumbs and butter. Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM

These sound great!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:18 PM

I baked some large vidalia onions in the oven using this recipe. Very good!

Sweet Onion Recipes - Vidalia Onion Committee

Old 07-17-2016, 04:26 PM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
You're welcome!

Here is another recipe that I forgot I had.

Baked Sweet Onions

6 Walla Walla Sweet or Vidalia onions
3 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Peel the onions and trim the root end. Be careful to leave the core in place in order to hold each onion together as it cooks. Make 3 or 4 cuts across the top of each onion, cutting only two thirds of the way down to create 6 to 8 partially cut wedges.

Set each onion in the center of a double-layered foil square, root-end down. Sprinkle the onions with the salt, pepper, and herbs, and top each with 1 tablespoon butter and the Parmesan cheese. Pull the foil up over each onion, creating a pouch and leaving the top of the onion exposed. Pour 1 tablespoon vinegar into each onion.

Bake onions in a 350F oven until tender.

Place each onion in an individual bowl. The onion will spread open like a flower in the bowl. Pour the juices that have accumulated in the foil pouch over the onion.
I am going to try that sounds delicipus

Old 07-17-2016, 05:59 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
French Onion Soup Casserole | RecipeLion.com

Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
onion dip is something I am anxious to try: onion casserole, if I served it spoiled brat would go into orbit; he eats onions, but is not a fan of them, like me. In fact only a couple of our family members enjoy a good onion like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes