Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times

Advertisements

Thanks Katsmeeyow. Does your name mean what I think it does? You are a cat person? I'll have to go see if I run into you in the cat section.. I LOVE ctas, having 4 myself.. I could post TONS of pictures of my little sweeties but I try not to overload people with them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
WEll, i am a cat AND dog person! LOL Actually, first name is Kathy...so..........

Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Laura those are nice clear pictures and nice yummy recipes thanks for sharing both! Have you had a chance to try any of the recipe in this thread on your guys yet? I bet they tell their wives about your great cooking then probably get smacked upside their heads.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Jaxson- You would be surprised how many guys ask for the recipe for something I make so they can go home and make it for their family. Just this last trip I had to give a guy the recipe for my Mandarin Orange Cake and he plans to go home and make it with his kids. I also had to give him the Mini Danish recipe..

I haven't made any of these exact recipes posted here but I already make something similar, they are in my folder of new ones to try that goes with me to the boat. There are some I am wanting to make that were posted that just sound so delish but I have others ahead of them to try first.. I will eventually get to them when I run out of ideas on a trip out. HighlandsGal's recipe with the tequila sounds really good, but that one would get me fired..

Jennifer, yes, the inside of the boats are very clean usually. The stuff we push, coal, grain and other stuff find it's way back to the boat and it would get rather nasty if not cleaned every day. Floors get mopped every day, sometimes twice a day, stuff is constantly being wiped down, even the walls. The outside of the boat is washed twice a trip, top to bottom, end to end. If not it would eventually turn black. Something is always being painted outside the boat, paint chipped away, sanded and repainted. It is like any home where there is constant cleaning and maintenance going on. They keep these boat up really nice, remember, this IS our home half of the year and a lot of the guys won't live in filth.. Toilets are cleaned every day, showers are cleaned daily... there is always something to do on a tow boat!

Stats on the boat if you are interested are:
Net Tonnage: 761 Tons
Engines: GM 16-645-E7B | 9180 | 900 RPM
Tow Size: 40 Barge Maximum Tow
Boat Height: 53.6 FT (Highest Fixed Point:53 FT)
Length Width: 186X50 FT
Boat Draft: 9.7 FT

For comparison

The guy on the left in this picture is a GIANT.. about 6 ft. 7 and close 400 pounds. When he walks in that door you see on his left, he has to duck down. That is the door to the dinning room.

This is a BIG boat with lots of room. We have a food service type stove and refrigerator like you would find in a restaurant (I LOVE the stove) Just wish we had 2 ovens. Wish I could find my pictures of the galley so you could see it, I have them online but there are so many pictures to look through. We even have a guest room on the second deck.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Laura those look great......thank you for sharing but I have one question
On the cornbread casserole I may have missed it you said to preheat the oven to 400 but how long do you bake it?

That Mandarin Orange Cake sounds interesting.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Apples In a Blanket

4 medium apples, peeled and cored
1 can biscuits
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 stick margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cut apples in half and wrap each half with a rolled out biscuit. Place wrapped apples in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients in sauce pan. Bring to boil and pour over apples. Bake at 350 for one hour. Good topped with cool whip or ice cream.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM

katsmeeyow- My Captain would like those... he loves anything apple or sweet potato.

crazyworld- You bake it till it is as brown as you want it on top.. I always check it with a knife (in the middle)as my oven on the boat tends to cook faster and the middle needs longer to cook (In that case cover it with tin foil) . It has been my experience that 400* in one oven is not the same in the next. I only use the time on a recipe to know when to check it... 15 minutes prior and at the time on the recipe and every 10 minutes after...

That Mandarine Cake is a winner also! You may have it under another name already but here is that one. This is delish on top of a heavy meal. It is a 3 layer cake but is so light you could eat a lot and not feel bloated... (Sorry, no pictures even though I bake one (or two) every trip.) It makes a BEAUTIFUL cake and you will need copies of the recipe everywhere you take it...

Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe
8-10 servings
time to make"31 min 10 min prep

1- white cake mix
4 -eggs
1/2 cup - margarine
1 -can mandarin oranges
1 -box vanilla pudding mix
1 -medium pineapple in juice, crushed
1 -large Cool Whip
Mix cake mix, eggs, maragrine and oranges.
Beat on high about 6 minutes.
Put in round pans, very well greased and floured.
Bake 15 minutes 325 degrees. (OR until done)
Let cool.
mix pudding with pineapple with juice, fold in a large bowl of cool whip.
Top cake with this.
NOTES: Refrigerate.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:23 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Thanks Laura...you are the best!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Laura thanks for sharing your work life with us it is very interesting to me. How many hours in a day are you actually working? What do you do when you aren't in the kitchen while on board?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,820 times
I will share an appetizer recipe I made last night and was a hit at the dinner party I went to.
Its very simple to make too.

Baby Pears Cut in half with some of the center spooned out ( just enough to hold the filling)
Goat Cheese mixed with fresh cut up herbs; I used fresh parsley, thyme and chives. Mix it up real well and add a 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper.

Spoon the cheese mix in the hollow pears and wrap each with half a slice of bacon.
Drizzle a little more olive oil and salt and pepper and than bake in the oven set at 375 for 30 minutes.
When its done take it out drizzle some honey over it and then serve on a bed of arugula.

I wish had pics to share but we ate them all.

Last edited by Gelasia; 03-29-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes