Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,076,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Is sauerkraut ever made with brown mustard? Or am I thinking German potato salad?
That would be German potato salad.....now I need to make some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,213,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
That would be German potato salad.....now I need to make some!
Oh I so LOVE that!:-)

Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,466,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My grandmother would make kraut totally from scratch, it was wonderful! I wish I had the stoneware crocks she used.
Kshe, you can buy those crocks on ebay. The real deal. Or directly from the Red Wing Pottery Company in Red Wing, Mn.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Kshe, you can buy those crocks on ebay. The real deal. Or directly from the Red Wing Pottery Company in Red Wing, Mn.
thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!! I have a BUNCH of cabbage planted right now, I have my grandmothers recipe for putting down the cabbage.
I used to love to help her when I was a little girl, she would set up an outdoor kitchen of sorts in her backyard in South St Louis. One could stroll down the alley and see all the other hausfraus doing the same thing!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,466,486 times
I have no German heritage in me, but one of my favorite comfort dishes my mom made while I was growing up was pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes.

She took a pork roast and boiled it in water about 20 minutes per pound til cooked. Then she added the sauerkraut. She too always swore by Silver Floss, but that before you could readily buy fresher packaged sauerkraut in the deli sections of our suburban grocery stores. The sauerkraut was steamed in this pork water for about 20 minutes while the potatoes were cooked and mashed.

An onion was grated into the potatoes, along with milk, salt and white pepper.

I still LOVE this meal and always think of my mom when I enjoy it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I have no German heritage in me, but one of my favorite comfort dishes my mom made while I was growing up was pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes.

She took a pork roast and boiled it in water about 20 minutes per pound til cooked. Then she added the sauerkraut. She too always swore by Silver Floss, but that before you could readily buy fresher packaged sauerkraut in the deli sections of our suburban grocery stores. The sauerkraut was steamed in this pork water for about 20 minutes while the potatoes were cooked and mashed.

An onion was grated into the potatoes, along with milk, salt and white pepper.

I still LOVE this meal and always think of my mom when I enjoy it.
thats soooooo close to the casserole I described in an earlier post! I can make that casserole, put it in the oven, then close my eyes....... through the smell alone, I am transported to my Grandmama Ag's kitchen. i loved her dearly, she passed when I was quite young.
She came to the US in 1925 from Prussia, she was completely fabulous, about as far away from what one thinks as a typical German hausfrau as possible. She was tall, slim, well educated, impossibly elegant and sophisticated.
But best of all, she loved me VERY much, I was her only grandchild, lucky me!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM

381 posts, read 1,367,648 times
My dad used to make it with potato dumplings and polska kielbaska. Yum.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:57 PM

543 posts, read 2,314,211 times
Camryn, that is my favorite way to fix it too. DH comes from a polish family.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM

859 posts, read 2,152,012 times
1: not all Sauerkraut has caraway in it....
2: nor did we ever put ANY mustard in any potato Salad .....
3: We put in Apple piece's a little apple juice ( no wine) to replace the juice part, Pepper, Onion, notch of sugar, thats how we made it . I am from germany born and raised there

There is always a difference HOW to make something it just like with german potato salad... every Region does it a little different.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,246,044 times
I think what you have been looking for in German kraut recipe's is the sweet...carmalized onions, sugar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes