Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times

Advertisements

Obviously without asking him directly there's no way to know for sure but here is the story. I met him in June and I see him about once a week at an activity I have become involved with. I was told to take my time with him because he is extremely shy. Every time I see him he becomes more and more comfortable with me and we chat more. In fact now he comes up to me and will chat. He likes my parents a lot too. About a month ago I went to an event where there was dancing but by the time I got the nerve to speak to him (after drinking two daiquiris)the band was almost done. I asked him to dance and he said he wanted to approach me to dance but was afraid because I was with people he did not know. When I see him he smiles at me and waves to me even if it's across the room. A couple weeks ago we were playing darts and when he handed the darts to me he held my hand for a moment longer than I expected.

I am not used to this because when a guy likes me he lets me know and when I have liked a guy I let him know (though often he does not like me back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
I would come down on the side of "not interested." If he should eventually ask you out, consider it a pleasant surprise, but don't count on it.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I would come down on the side of "not interested." If he should eventually ask you out, consider it a pleasant surprise, but don't count on it.
If it were me I would think this too.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
I always say "Actions speak louder than words". (This is also true for people who say one thing, yet do something else.)

Sounds to me like he likes you!

Ask if he would like to go have a cup of coffee/soda pop somewhere.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Be brave, be bold and go ask him to go do something. Guys are many times shy about approaching a lady.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
If he likes you, but is so shy that he has not approached you after all this time, you first want to ask yourself if this is a person you want to try and be involved with. I am not intending to put him down, but he sounds like an introverted person. If you are very social (parties, large circle of friends, etc), you and he may just not be a good match.

That said, if you still like him, give him some gentle nudges. Ask him out. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't have to be a big, anxiety driven date. Ask him for coffee, or lunch, or something simple.

If he backs off, or runs away, nothing lost. If you do nothing, then nothing gained.

Sometimes, a guy who is not as confident our outgoing ends up waiting (and hoping) for the woman to make a move. I know it is backwards to our nature, and what we expect, but it happens.

If your not one for feeling you should make the first move, then that is ok too. Just saying, it may take you making a first move to find out his feelings.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I always say "Actions speak louder than words". (This is also true for people who say one thing, yet do something else.)

Sounds to me like he likes you!

Ask if he would like to go have a cup of coffee/soda pop somewhere.
I vote with this. He confessed to you that he'd wanted to ask you to dance, but didn't have the nerve. Everything you describe points to a guy too shy to get the ball rolling on his own, but who's interested. There are a lot of guys like this out there, they just need some gentle nudges, and they're always grateful. They can make wonderful partners. (You never have to worry about them straying! )

Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
I'm shy too but he is more shy. He's a great guy and I am getting vibes he is interested too.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm shy too but he is more shy. He's a great guy and I am getting vibes he is interested too.
Sounds like a match in the making. Congratulations!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Just let him go. Cowards never change. Ever. If you don't like a coward now, you will like him even less later on once you finally realize that he hasn't changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships