Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,816,839 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to see how common it is for two people to be in a LTR and NEVER want to live together or marry.

Kinda scared of marriage, but not wanting to be alone for the rest of my life. Most marriages end in divorce anyway and I don't want to take the risk of losing a ton of money (that i don't have) in a divorce. Plus, some people change for the worst after you get married and then you are kind of stuck. Also, if you live with someone and you are not married, in some states, the law treats you like a married couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,654,795 times
I cohabitate with my SnugglyBumps. We've both been married and divorced, with no plans to marry again. I am definitely a fan of the cohabitation.

Have you looked into common law marriage in your state? Find out what the laws actually are. No need to fret over things which may not even be true.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,485,591 times
I do (or don’t, lol). I have a relationship like this. Been together 3 years so far and neither of us want to marry.

But I have to correct your misperception. Most marriages do not end in divorce. Just google it. The so called 50% divorce rate is fake. Don’t let fear keep you from things. If you don’t marry, make it because you prefer to stay single not because you are scared of something.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
I kind of like living separately and visiting each other on weekends. He's usually working in a major city a couple hours away and depending on what's going on there I may go up to see him on the weekend or he may travel to see me. It's close enough to be easily doable on a frequent basis and the cities are different enough to make it a fun diversion wherever we are. When I was much younger I thought you had to be joined at the hip to have a good relationship but that's really not so when you are busy with work and have your own hobbies to fill your weekdays/nights....and I look forward more to the weekends knowing we'll see each other.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:22 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,816,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I cohabitate with my SnugglyBumps. We've both been married and divorced, with no plans to marry again. I am definitely a fan of the cohabitation.

Have you looked into common law marriage in your state? Find out what the laws actually are. No need to fret over things which may not even be true.
I haven't actually looked at common law marriage in my state, but I am going to. Just going off what
I heard.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,654,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I haven't actually looked at common law marriage in my state, but I am going to. Just going off what
I heard.
Here's a handy resource:

Common Law Marriage Fact Sheet

But definitely check further. Google "common law marriage in <your state>" and read some of the hits.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:48 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,786,149 times
LOL not sure how it works but I don't think you'd have to pay alimony if you don't have any money. It would really depend on the settlement and the person and your lawyer but a couple of regular folks I know, like you and I, had clean divorces and didn't have to pay alimony. You only hear huge sums of alimony on the news because they're people with money. Lawyer fees would still be a headache, though.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 PM

11,080 posts, read 6,021,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I'm just trying to see how common it is for two people to be in a LTR and NEVER want to live together or marry.

Kinda scared of marriage, but not wanting to be alone for the rest of my life. Most marriages end in divorce anyway and I don't want to take the risk of losing a ton of money (that i don't have) in a divorce. Plus, some people change for the worst after you get married and then you are kind of stuck. Also, if you live with someone and you are not married, in some states, the law treats you like a married couple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post

In my country there is no point in marrying but people still do. I won't marry again. I cohabitate with my gf. Our understanding is that we will be facing the future together. To quote Petunia; "I am definitely a fan of the cohabitation."

Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I kind of like living separately and visiting each other.
^^^ Me. This. Works like a charm!!!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,079,405 times
The only way I would ever marry at my age--62--is purely for any pension benefits I could inherit from the other person. If I did marry, I would not live with the man but maintain a separate residence. That is the only way it would work for me.

I never married or cohabited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships