Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,990,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
We seem to be going a bit OT.

Moderator cut: Edit

Moderator cut: Orphaned/off topic

Going back to topic, yes the Church needs to be reformed. Steps including women as preists.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,287,853 times
Default Clarification:

A number of posts in this thread have either been deleted, or modified, which June suspects has members very unhappy about. Thread is not exclusively addressing the negative, inner politics or workings of the church, although that topic is valid and has merit.

In order to address that particular aspect of the RCC, posts need to also address or include the OP regarding the Pope stepping down, otherwise thread becomes off topic in it's becoming only a negative commentary exclusive to the RCC. In addressing that aspect of the RCC, posts need to include some aspect of the OP, specifically, that of the Pope stepping down. June is NOT saying that there aren't political ramifications within the RCC pertaining to the Pope's decision, but thread is not exclusively a political scrutinizing of the RCC. --For clarification, it's okay to include political aspects of the RCC, but they need to pertain to, or relate to the Pope's stepping down, and not exclusively a scrutinizing of the RCC in general.

June fully acknowledges that the OP is a valid, and highly charged topic that in fact needs to, and should be addressed and debated. She is merely asking that posts remain on topic, incorporating the above mentioned aspects of the Pope's decision within the RCC.

Hope you all understand.

One last word: We have a good number of Catholics who post on this forum, so if you could keep posts as respectful as possible in addressing the OP, that would be much appreciated.

~June

Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Colour me surprised. I was raised Catholic and always thought the Pope hung around 'til death.

I'm long-lapsed but developed a grudging admiration for John Paul ll's humility and humanity. Benedict struck me as a cold fish, though. I kinda' doubt even hardcore Catholics will miss him.
modern times create new ideas and it was never writtten he would be the Pope til death. Not being a Cahtolic I have no opinion about him, personally, but it is interesting he is changing what has been the policy for 100s of years. I happen to think he is doing the right thing.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Oooh, look at this:

itccs.org | Pope Benedict resigned to avoid arrest, seizure of church wealth by Easter

Quote:
Brussels:

The historically unprecedented resignation of Joseph Ratzinger as Pope this week was compelled by an upcoming action by a European government to issue an arrest warrant against Ratzinger and a public lien against Vatican property and assets by Easter.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yeah, right!
The Pope quit because of the heat instigated by who? The ITCCS?!
Yup...I'm sure everybody has heard of them! NOT!
I bet the RCC is really worried about it! LOL!!

That, "Oooh, look at this", was in jest, right?
You had to be joking...even Fundie Bible Literalists aren't that gullible.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,334,551 times
why the self imposed exile? If he has nothing to hide, he would still be able to be part of the church and its rites. I think he's doing this to save the church's face. To prevent a large scale investigation or dethroning which would ruin what's left of the catholic firm. He himself has said he will go into seclusion..a bad heart is no reason to become a hermit.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,093,162 times
i think this immediate resignation is full of questions that are NOT being addressed--but i am glad he is stepping down---hoping for a latin american pope but i think that will not happen

Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

7,598 posts, read 6,100,756 times
I agree I think there are probably a whole number of things /reasons/questions that will not be addressed. This will give years of entertainment and miles of speculation to conspiracy theorists.

I would like to offer my services as Pope, I am not catholic, I am not even a theist, but I can certainly clean up the mess and run a business with less Baloney

Me as the Pope

Consider all the strife, scandels and problems the church is having, AND the fact that the catholic church is shrinking both in popularity, membership and influence.....I am not sure I would really want the job either., But I will take it if picked.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah, right!
The Pope quit because of the heat instigated by who? The ITCCS?!
Yup...I'm sure everybody has heard of them! NOT!
I bet the RCC is really worried about it! LOL!!

That, "Oooh, look at this", was in jest, right?
You had to be joking...even Fundie Bible Literalists aren't that gullible.
I did not say I believed it, but it is an interesting sidelight to the *why* he might have stepped down. I would place my bets on someone having found some skeletons in his closet.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I did not say I believed it, but it is an interesting sidelight to the *why* he might have stepped down. I would place my bets on someone having found some skeletons in his closet.
What leader that has achieved his level of power and authority has been able to avoid getting drunk on that power and glory...and overstep to a greater or lesser degree?
He is just a human after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality