Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,027,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I wonder if there may be isolated pockets of Europeans that have an identifiable Neanderthal Heritage. Not Neanderthals but with a larger share of Neanderthal DNA than the average European has.
The Basques perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,944,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Leave it to dtango to make spurious connections just so he can talk of his 'great knowledge' of all things myth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Homo sapiens never evolved Neanderthal species, as these Neanderthal are more of a link of the same kind to the chimp ..... There is no ancestral species discovered for Homo sapiens , as these were created by God because God is the missing link between the species......
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
and what research did you have to come up with this one ?
Hmmm... I am simply too tired to dissemble all of the bull-sheizze dropped here tonight by some of our certified and official predictable denialists. I'll get to it tomorrow, when I can properly attend to it all!

But meanwhile, I surely do appreciate LKC's reasonable and intelligent request of hljc, who, as usual, spouts his unsupportable stuff under the assumption that we'll just believe it. The key genetic information that's now available, if one has the education to read the big words, and also comprehend them, shows in no uncertain terms that there are direct links between Neanderthals and the later species that were us, or shortly became us.

To deny such straightforward step-wise logic? It's nothing I didn't expect, but still, you've got to wonder if they will ever open their minds....

Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,155,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The Basques perhaps?
I think they are a possible. I think maybe the Lapps would be another. Although I suspect that physical evidence would be Red Hair, Blue eyes and a powerful upper body. From what I have read it seems they were nearly the same average height as many modern Europeans however had a much stronger upper body.

Quote:
Considerably more robust, stronger build
Long collar bones, wider shoulders
Barrel-shaped rib cage
Short, bowed shoulder blades
More laterally curve radius with a radial tuberosity placed more medially, a longer radial neck, a more ovoid radial head, and a well-developed interosseous crest.[12]
On the ulna, the trochlear notch is facing more anteriorly, the brachialis insertion is lower, the mid-shaft is larger, and the shaft is more sinusoidal.[12]
Larger round finger tips
Large kneecaps
Thick, bowed shaft of the thigh bones, bowed femur
Short shinbones and calf bones, longer torso and proportionally shorter legs
Long, gracile pelvic pubis (superior pubic ramus)
SOURCE

I've often thought that the last remnants of Neanderthals are the source of many legends. Perhaps an indepth study of legends about Leprechans, Trolls, Fairies may give some insight into how Homo sapiens viewed Homo neanderthalensis

Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM

526 posts, read 694,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
He's wrong as usual..Neanderthals were no hairier than humans.
Neanderthals were humans (only with a little bit more brains than you and me) and most probably not much hairier than some modern ones.Moderator cut: image removed

What evidence you have they were not hairy?
I presented evidence that they were and, besides, there are lots of myths from over the world insisting that the first men were hairy.
The “first men†can only be the Neanderthals because those were the men that the modern humans met. Not Homo erectus.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Neanderthals died out because they were unable to hunt small game!!!

There is no way that climate can be the cause of the Neanderthals’ extinction.

First of all, it is the cause of the Near Eastern Neanderthals’ extinction that has to be found first, because they disappeared by approximately 50,000 years ago (when Hss arrived in the Near East).
Secondly, Neanderthals were living in Europe from approximately 250,000 to 30,000 years ago (their predecessors having lived there since approximately 650,000 y.a.).

In the diagram that follows it can be seen that at about 250,000 y.a. and 130,000 y.a., the temperature was the same as it is today. The Neanderthals had survived in the past conditions the same as those pertaining 30,000 y.a. and, besides, when they disappeared the temperature was falling, not rising.

Science is a serious business... but not all scientists are serious persons.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I've often thought that the last remnants of Neanderthals are the source of many legends. Perhaps an indepth study of legends about Leprechans, Trolls, Fairies may give some insight into how Homo sapiens viewed Homo neanderthalensis
Compare the history of the Neanderthals:

“Homo sapiens sapiens met them, had sex with them and eventually exterminated themâ€

...to the story of the Giants:

“The gods met them, had sex with them and eventually exterminated them!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
Compare the history of the Neanderthals:

“Homo sapiens sapiens met them, had sex with them and eventually exterminated themâ€

...to the story of the Giants:

“The gods met them, had sex with them and eventually exterminated them!
Could easily be the same from different perspectives.

Homo Sapiens could have been viewed as gods by Neanderthals and the size of the Neanderathals may have been exaggerated to make for good war stories.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Could easily be the same from different perspectives.

Homo Sapiens could have been viewed as gods by Neanderthals and the size of the Neanderathals may have been exaggerated to make for good war stories.
The Neanderthals did not survive to tell stories of gods. Those who survived are the hybrid offspring of sapiens and Neanderthal who still say that they are the product of the mixing of two different races: father god, mother non-god.

As regards beings viewed as gods they are only the gods of theology and religions. The ancient people were not talking of beings viewed as gods but of beings living with them who belonged to the race of the gods.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,908,456 times
Quote:
I think they are a possible. I think maybe the Lapps would be another. Although I suspect that physical evidence would be Red Hair, Blue eyes and a powerful upper body. From what I have read it seems they were nearly the same average height as many modern Europeans however had a much stronger upper body.

SOURCE

It's funny... I'm half Sami/Lapp and as it would turn out:

Quote:
Considerably more robust, stronger build
Yes. I, like my dad and grandfather, am very, very robust and have extremely dense muscles.

Quote:
Long collar bones, wider shoulders
Yup. I'm 6'2, and two feet across at the shoulders.

Quote:
Barrel-shaped rib cage
Not quite to the same degree as my dad, but definitely way moreso than average.

Quote:
Short, bowed shoulder blades
Yup, and they're really far out to the edges of my torso. Although I'm actually fairly limber, it's physically impossible for me to get my arms to a 45 degree angle behind me. Something like this:

is impossible for me.

Quote:
More laterally curve radius with a radial tuberosity placed more medially, a longer radial neck, a more ovoid radial head, and a well-developed interosseous crest.[12]
Yeah, I have a fairly ovoid head, moreso than most people, certainly, and a longer, thicker neck as well.

Also, thanks to my huge jaw, my wisdom teeth grew in just fine, so I never had them removed.

Quote:
On the ulna, the trochlear notch is facing more anteriorly, the brachialis insertion is lower, the mid-shaft is larger, and the shaft is more sinusoidal.[12]
Sounds about right. My forearms are extremely well-developed and stout.

Quote:
Larger round finger tips
Yup. My fingers are pretty short length-wise, but very thick. Gorilla hands, as an (Asian) ex of mine described them.

Quote:
Large kneecaps
Huge.

Quote:
Thick, bowed shaft of the thigh bones, bowed femur
I broke my femur as a kid and have the x-rays through the healing process and on up till I was 12 from PT... I went and looked at them and compared them to a photo of an average femur and yeah, they're more bowed than normal.

Quote:
Short shinbones and calf bones, longer torso and proportionally shorter legs
My best friend is African-American, and 6'8 - six inches taller than me. I wear a longer shirt than he does. All my height is in my torso. The same Asian ex I mentioned above, who was 5'5, had a beltline at almost the same height as mine.

I'd read somewhere that a larger torso and smaller legs also helps maintain body heat in the areas around the organs, which gives an advantage in colder climates.

Quote:
Long, gracile pelvic pubis (superior pubic ramus)
Yup, that too...

At one point, I was actually super-skinny (around 170lbs for my height and build), and it exaggerated exactly how thick and dense my skeletal structure is. I've bulked up and put on a lot of muscle since then, and weigh about 225, though everyone guesses I'm about 180.

I'm pale-skinned, have very bright blue eyes, and reddish-blondish head hair. My facial hair is red down the sides of my jaw, but gets blonde towards the center. My body hair is blonde on my arms and legs, and reddish or darker brown elsewhere.

There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to indicate that I may indeed have a higher-than-normal percentage of neanderthal DNA in me. I'd like to do a test at some point...

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's funny... I'm half Sami/Lapp and as it would turn out:

Yes. I, like my dad and grandfather, am very, very robust and have extremely dense muscles.

Yup. I'm 6'2, and two feet across at the shoulders.

Not quite to the same degree as my dad, but definitely way moreso than average.

Yup, and they're really far out to the edges of my torso. Although I'm actually fairly limber, it's physically impossible for me to get my arms to a 45 degree angle behind me. Something like this:

is impossible for me.

Yeah, I have a fairly ovoid head, moreso than most people, certainly, and a longer, thicker neck as well.

Also, thanks to my huge jaw, my wisdom teeth grew in just fine, so I never had them removed.

Sounds about right. My forearms are extremely well-developed and stout.

Yup. My fingers are pretty short length-wise, but very thick. Gorilla hands, as an (Asian) ex of mine described them.

Huge.

I broke my femur as a kid and have the x-rays through the healing process and on up till I was 12 from PT... I went and looked at them and compared them to a photo of an average femur and yeah, they're more bowed than normal.

My best friend is African-American, and 6'8 - six inches taller than me. I wear a longer shirt than he does. All my height is in my torso. The same Asian ex I mentioned above, who was 5'5, had a beltline at almost the same height as mine.

I'd read somewhere that a larger torso and smaller legs also helps maintain body heat in the areas around the organs, which gives an advantage in colder climates.

Yup, that too...

At one point, I was actually super-skinny (around 170lbs for my height and build), and it exaggerated exactly how thick and dense my skeletal structure is. I've bulked up and put on a lot of muscle since then, and weigh about 225, though everyone guesses I'm about 180.

I'm pale-skinned, have very bright blue eyes, and reddish-blondish head hair. My facial hair is red down the sides of my jaw, but gets blonde towards the center. My body hair is blonde on my arms and legs, and reddish or darker brown elsewhere.

There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to indicate that I may indeed have a higher-than-normal percentage of neanderthal DNA in me. I'd like to do a test at some point...
Interesting I am Roughly 5/8 Mongolian, 3/8 Indo-European, I have similar features as you however shorter and I never developed the muscle bulk. I am primarily Tatar about equally mixed from the Golden Horde (Mongolian) very similar to the Sami. and the White Horde ( mostly Macedonian/Turkish)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality