Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times

Advertisements

Lets pretend for a second that the psyche might be the connection between the soul and mind.

I was wondering what the religious, spiritualist, and atheist think about Psychology.
Do you visit (the) Psychology forum(s) to learn about new findings? Have you learned or induced anything about your religion and spirituality and life from studying the findings and theories in Psychology?

The following is an hour-long youtube video from the big think organization on a lecture given by Paul Bloom on "The Psychology of Everything."

Hope you enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=328wX2x_s5g

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Lets pretend for a second that the psyche might be the connection between the soul and mind.
LT: No need to "pretend" that the psyche might be the connection between mind and soul, at least in terms of the actual origin of the term. It originated as the Greek word meaning soul or mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth
I was wondering what the religious, spiritualist, and atheist think about Psychology...Have you learned or induced anything about your religion and spirituality and life from studying the findings and theories in Psychology?
June is a psychotherapist, so is familiar with psychology. There are numerous psychoanalysts who have written extensively (Maslow, for example) regarding the connections between the psychological and the spiritual. Victor Frankle is another who comes to mind, as he very strongly links the two.

In working with patients, have very often encountered those for whom their religion and/or spiritual beliefs play an integral role in their overall psychological life. They seem to use psychotherapy in conjunction with those religious beliefs, whereby they fall back on those beliefs in order to provide them with hope, and the tenacity to keep on going, despite their psychological state. --So I do believe there is a very strong connection for some.

As an atheist, June can't say that she has personally induced anything from spirituality/religion as pertaining to her own life. She can say, however, that for those she has encountered, they have oftentimes found that psychology or therapy reinforces, or augments their spiritual lives. And yes, even an atheist therapist can, and absolutely is respectful of that in working with such individuals.

--Not sure if this addresses your OP in specific terms regarding what you are perhaps saying, but these are the thoughts that most readily come to mind...

Last edited by june 7th; 03-29-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
As an 'OwlKaMyst'- Science (psychology) and Spirit (soul) go hand in hand.
A lot of the spiritual material in my library comes from books on science, the mind and psychology.
With authors/PhDs like John C Lilly, Karl Schlotterbeck and even Jung are scientists/psychologists that include spiritual aspects in their studies and writings. And it's not always deliberate.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
As a Christian with a BA in Psychology I have this to add:

From my studies in theology and psychology I have learned that humans are basically composed of three things-Spirit (pnuma), Soul/Mind (psyche) and Body (soma). These three things work together to form a person-in a general way.

The spirit is the life force, which animates the body. The soul is interconnected to the spirit and relates to the physical world thru the brain. The soul is affected and shaped by what it experiences thru the brain. There is a genetic component that also affects the soul (to a much lesser extent)-also by way of the brain-and when I say brain, I am referring to the entire nervous system and sense organs, for the sake of discussion.

From Theology: When the body dies *the you* is still there, because the you is the Spirit-Soul (mind). The mind is not your brain, but as mentioned, the mind relates to the physical world via the brain.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Well, I love the "Big Think" channel on the youtuber! Excellent way to spend some time.

I think one should get yearly check ups on the ole brain system, emotional system and social system of things. Psychologist are just coming into the light, IMO. We really should pay more attention to this relation to our bodies and well being. Coverage should expand through our insurance companies, and Psychologist should be an important part working in conjunction with our family docs as far as I'm concerned. The fields dealing with a well balanced mind and outlook are very, very important. I'm an atheist, just to note for those who are unaware. lol

Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

I think one should get yearly check ups on the ole brain system, emotional system and social system of things. Psychologist are just coming into the light, IMO. We really should pay more attention to this relation to our bodies and well being. Coverage should expand through our insurance companies, and Psychologist should be an important part working in conjunction with our family docs as far as I'm concerned. The fields dealing with a well balanced mind and outlook are very, very important. I'm an atheist, just to note for those who are unaware. lol
Sounds like a great idea to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality