Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post
An atheist who believes in "The Nothing Theory". The Nothing Theory is very safe, it takes no risks at all, requires very little effort, and it is the simplest thing to believe in. I however, choose to believe that there is "Something" to our existence.
"The Nothing Theory" (to use your term) absolutely REQUIRES morals that come from within, not from fear; a solid sense or responsibility to our planet rather than the idea that it's no big deal, the End Times are going to come anyway; making use of and in this life and being useful to others in this life - not waiting for "heaven" when everything's going to be awesome anyway; being a good person because it's the right thing to do, not because we figure if we can just hold out for this period of time, eventually we'll get a reward; and is in fact an ongoing "effort" as one must actually face real life responsibilities, not look toward the clouds all the time.

Your way is actually the safe, risk-free, and ultimately very, very lazy and irresponsible way. "I'll just follow the pack. I'll be accepted. If my life is terrible, or if I see others suffering, well, whatever - we'll get our reward in heaven. Well, I'm off to church now where we'll stand up a lot, sit down a lot and sing and then pig out afterward. And if we feel guilty about NOT ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING concrete for our fellow man, well, we'll just pray. That's dong something." Yeah whew, can ya handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well done, Vizza. Well , when that happens, you begin to wonder whether anything revelatory that believers get from their god is worth a dime.
Yep, including certain Biblical authors.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:01 PM

43 posts, read 44,897 times
Default The New Message for the World

The New Message for the World || Spoken Word - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jCV...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 PM

43 posts, read 44,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
This what I heard within the context of the message:

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
John 5:19-20
You see clearly from your perspective. Excellent interpretation of the new to the old.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Whew.

I don't have to watch it.

If deadwood gets it, I'd rather not.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
LOL! Kind of reminds me of when Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry both claimed they were told by God to run for president.

The funny thing is that neither of them even survived until the primary vote.

It's kinda-sorta an object lesson of what I've been saying all along about religion: They can't all be right, but they CAN all be wrong. Just like Perry and Bachmann.
Oh, "God" wanted to have them spend effort and money into their own campaigns because he needed to trick... "guide" them into serving other purposes; such as giving "Him" and us a good chuckle

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post
An atheist who believes in "The Nothing Theory". The Nothing Theory is very safe, it takes no risks at all, requires very little effort, and it is the simplest thing to believe in. I however, choose to believe that there is "Something" to our existence.
I'm starting to think there are others who might believe in "Something" "more" and "better." i.e with more details and better backing than your assumptions.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
This what I heard within the context of the message:

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
John 5:19-20
At the evil and fault that irrationally sprang on it's own from faultlessness and nothing... Let's not keep our eyes closed for guessing.

I'm sure the fly through missed a few black holes and deadly radiation.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:26 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
"This message has been deleted by Miss Blue. Reason: posters sometimes do not want their name changed"

That's unfortunate. If my writing style is to be interefered with that much I may have to consider finding a new forum.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
"This message has been deleted by Miss Blue. Reason: posters sometimes do not want their name changed"

That's unfortunate. If my writing style is to be interefered with that much I may have to consider finding a new forum.
Overstepped the bounds, eh Arq?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality