Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,608,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Really? Your hatred of God and prayer and refusal to consider divine healing is somehow PROOF that prayer doesn't work. Well, good for you. You can live your entire life this way for now.
It has nothing to do with "hatred of God", Ozzy. It's simple observation. Maybe divine healing is possible, but the great majority of people who get prayed over for healing DON'T get healed.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,331,786 times
The problem (as is often the case) is taking the bible literally. Let's not forget it was written by superstitious, relatively uneducated men in a primitive time.

Prayer can definitely work, depending on one's expectations. It helps to keep them realistic.

Don't pray to be healed from an illness - pray for the strength to deal with this adversity.

Don't pray to win the lottery. Pray for the fortitude, discipline, and energy required to improve one's education and/or skills, in order to find better-paying work.

In other words, don't ask your god to do it for you. Ask your god/the universe/kismet to help you find a way to handle it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Really? Your hatred of God ...
Wow, Ozzy admits his god can not exist.

Quote:
... and prayer and refusal to consider divine healing is somehow PROOF that prayer doesn't work.
No, the evidence shows prayer does not work. The number of observed failures and apparent successes is what we would expect if prayers do not work.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,947,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It has nothing to do with "hatred of God", Ozzy. It's simple observation. Maybe divine healing is possible, but the great majority of people who get prayed over for healing DON'T get healed.
My opinion is that there are certain KINDS of healing which are possible though prayer. The Bible doesn't go beyond these types. It is people who try to apply it to everything under the sun.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,626,880 times
Quote:
My opinion is that there are certain KINDS of healing which are possible though prayer. The Bible doesn't go beyond these types. It is people who try to apply it to everything under the sun.
So you’re not familiar with what your lord and savior said?

21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Ignorant xians.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,164,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Try this prayer next time...

My Lord God,
even now I accept at Your hands,
cheerfully and willingly,
with all its anxieties,
pains and sufferings,
whatever kind of death
it shall please You to be mine.

Amen.

Of course also go to the doctor.
Nice! A voice of both faith and reason.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,608,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The problem (as is often the case) is taking the bible literally. Let's not forget it was written by superstitious, relatively uneducated men in a primitive time.

Prayer can definitely work, depending on one's expectations. It helps to keep them realistic.

Don't pray to be healed from an illness - pray for the strength to deal with this adversity.

Don't pray to win the lottery. Pray for the fortitude, discipline, and energy required to improve one's education and/or skills, in order to find better-paying work.

In other words, don't ask your god to do it for you. Ask your god/the universe/kismet to help you find a way to handle it yourself.
This.

My prayers for a long time now have been only for guidance in whatever situation I've found myself in for which I cannot find the answer by reasoning alone. I find that "putting it out there" and letting go of my preconceived ideas of how life should work itself out helps me to relinquish any control I might be trying to clutch on to and opens me up to new possibilities.

You don't have to be part of any organized religion to adopt that practice.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 AM

51,401 posts, read 24,782,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Try this prayer next time...

My Lord God,
even now I accept at Your hands,
cheerfully and willingly,
with all its anxieties,
pains and sufferings,
whatever kind of death
it shall please You to be mine.

Amen.

Of course also go to the doctor.
I've known people who say things like that during the good times. But when they're wasting away from something like cancer or heart failure they're not at all cheerful and willing.

And why exactly would an "ever-loving" god choose to make someone die from something like colon-rectal cancer when he could simply use his "all powerful" power to have them peacefully die in their sleep?

Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,920,428 times
Quote:
Really? Your hatred of God and prayer and refusal to consider divine healing is somehow PROOF that prayer doesn't work. Well, good for you. You can live your entire life this way for now.
Perhaps you could prove us wrong by supplying some verifiable evidence of limbs growing back - or even some case of divine healing that cannopt be explained any other way?

Quote:
My opinion is that there are certain KINDS of healing which are possible though prayer.
...and those 'KINDS' would no doubt be kinds that are open to interpretation?

Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM

18,262 posts, read 17,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Their stock answer to that would be that their god gave the doctors the means to cure you, gave the doctors the intelligence to become doctors and invent the medicines that cured you.

Yeah, Exactly! God ALWAYS needs middlemen to do His work when He could do it himself. Now why is that? Even Jesus appearing to 500 people according to Paul before he ascended could have taken a detour to Rome and appeared before Caesar and the entire coliseum. That would have saved the 12 apostles endless hours of missionary work. But NO! He just couldn't be bothered. This all stinks to high heaven and it's incredible that Christians can be so deluded that they are incapable of seeing through the charade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality