Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:21 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Not really. We're now in a nation where truth is relative. That is not sane. If your only definition of sanity is rejection of Evangelical Christianity, in what it's become today, then your definition is woefully short.
What do you mean by "truth is relative" as opposed to being universal?

First of all, please define what you mean by truth. It certainly isn't something that only the religious have ownership of, if that is what you are implying.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:31 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What do you mean by "truth is relative" as opposed to being universal?

First of all, please define what you mean by truth. It certainly isn't something that only the religious have ownership of, if that is what you are implying.
I thought he was referring to our current Administration and "alternative facts".

Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Not really. We're now in a nation where truth is relative. That is not sane. If your only definition of sanity is rejection of Evangelical Christianity, in what it's become today, then your definition is woefully short.
It is. Well done. Norm's definition went much further than just getting shot of the evangelical Christianity that of course is the only thing that matters to you.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
I think the chart shows Catholicism is in fact declining.
Sorry, my eyes must be giving out and strained. I thought I saw Catholic on the light blue line. Now I see that it was actually on the dark blue line and light blue was Mainline.

What is "Mainline" religion? Oh, older Protestant religions than (tel)Evangelical? It seems to have crashed until Trump got elected.

I wonder what kept everything so constrained from the 70s to the early 90s.

The Plutocrats were favoring a Cold War perhaps?

Old 03-30-2019, 01:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times
Quote:
Just look at the trend line of "nones" (many,but not all, who are atheists) since 2010. It is a straight up shot, and coming from all areas, but especially the evangelicals are losing members.

Does this mean sanity is now valued?

Perhaps. Although there is no question that there are many atheists and agnostics in the "none" group, there are also still some who have a believe in some god or gods. However, it also seems clear that it is the first step towards rational thinking once people remove themselves from an organized religion. I've been an atheist for decades, but it took me a long time to even self-identify myself as such. I suspect I am not an anomaly.

At any rate, I see this as the real "good news".
The USA's 5% of the world population is an outlier.
Theism and Religious Belief is gaining globally.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:13 PM

16,666 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This thread is about the United States. It's right there in the thread title:

Decline of religious in USA: "Nones" now more than evangelicals

Old 03-30-2019, 01:15 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Notice how you state that: "Religious Belief", not "christianity".

Old 03-30-2019, 01:57 PM

25,437 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
And what is truth? Truth to you is Christianity. Truth to somebody else is science, Buddhism, atheism, etc.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:59 PM

25,437 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The Internet was the final nail in the coffin of Christianity. The net opened the truth about the shady underhanded dealings of the church and its corrupt leadership to the entire world. People now can research such topics as "Jesus never existed" and "Ten Reasons The Gospels Are Works of Fiction" and get the complete lowdown on Christianity's nefarious creation.

SC3PTICS: Literary Traditions: Ten Reasons the Gospels are Works of Fiction
That is the truth.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:00 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
This study deals with the USA. Why bring up an assertion that is totally irrelevant to the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality