Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 11:42 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,272,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
13. To love other Jews—Leviticus 19:18

Does this one not read "to love others," period, or "to love others who believe in Me," because "God fearing" folks who are not Jews do not deserve love? Are we to believe God is actually all about Jews only and not other people? Because if that's the case...

Well this one does confuse me more than just a little bit given all the believers in God who believe all people are God's doing, all "God's children."

Help!
The text actually reads "and you should love [to] your neighbor like yourself". This is part of a section telling Jews how to act with other Jews. While there are all sorts of laws that give the obligations Jews have when dealing with non-Jews, this law happens to refer to a Jew's relationship with his 'neighbor', another Jew. As the Ohr Hachayim commentary writes, "The Torah was very shrewd in giving these directives to the Israelite in a staggered form. 1) First of all, one is not to hate a fellow Jew; 2) next, one is not take revenge for something a fellow Jew has done to him; 3) one is not even to bear a grudge; 4) one is to love one's fellow Jew. The Torah uses 2 different descriptions for a fellow Jew, a) "your brother;" b) "your colleague" or "member of your people." "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM

29,555 posts, read 9,761,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
the Hebrew is "tidbak" -- you should stick to. The Hebrew word in modern day for "glue" is devek, same root.

The text gives two elements -- we should be in awe of God and worship him (which is about action and external presentation) but also cling to him internally, with our hearts. We don't just go through the motions out of fear, but sincerely feel an allegiance and loyalty.

The Rabbeinu Bahya explains it as "“Revere the Lord your G’d; serve Him; cleave to Him and swear in His name.” The word תירא/revere, means not to violate His negative commandments; the words “serve Him” refer to His positive commandments; “to cleave to Him,” means not to exclude Him from your thoughts ."

Here is some information about an associated idea from the same root

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devekut
Thank you. I found similar as I considered the common definition in the dictionary...

Definition of cleave (Entry 1 of 2)

: to adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly

They kept themselves strictly separate, each cleaving to their own language, rituals, and food.
— Gourmet

Notice was served on the Democratic party that it must cleave to the Jackson line if it wanted the labor vote.
— Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.

The film's script has the same lack of pretension, cleaving to the teen movie formula with its high school cliques, clowns and bullies …
— Sandra Hall

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cleave

All seems to suggest or repeat the mantra (if you will) that you best believe, put your faith, submit and love "with our hearts" this one God, or there will be dire consequences. Perhaps as reemphasized or made more clear in the commandments to follow.

Also to be expected when it comes to scriptures that essentially command the same thing of other Gods. Or is it all the one same God? This also gets confusing given the many different writings of these sorts that on the one hand all seem about the same thing, one God, but then awfully competitive on the other hand, about who is worthy and who is not, based on what they do or don't do. What they believe and practice or don't believe and practice.

Me personally, I lean toward the "we are all God's children and equal in his eyes" sort of message, and I get less of that sort of message from reading these 613. Am I wrong to understand them that way?

Old 09-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The text actually reads "and you should love [to] your neighbor like yourself". This is part of a section telling Jews how to act with other Jews. While there are all sorts of laws that give the obligations Jews have when dealing with non-Jews, this law happens to refer to a Jew's relationship with his 'neighbor', another Jew. As the Ohr Hachayim commentary writes, "The Torah was very shrewd in giving these directives to the Israelite in a staggered form. 1) First of all, one is not to hate a fellow Jew; 2) next, one is not take revenge for something a fellow Jew has done to him; 3) one is not even to bear a grudge; 4) one is to love one's fellow Jew. The Torah uses 2 different descriptions for a fellow Jew, a) "your brother;" b) "your colleague" or "member of your people." "
I have been quoting from this source...

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ts-Mitzvot.htm

From what text are you drawing that reads differently? (And/or that I should use instead).

Still a little confusing regardless, because it's either we should love our neighbor like our self, no matter who our neighbor happens to be, or more specifically only if our neighbor is Jewish. Ultimately reads to me like Jews commanded to love other Jews (not just any neighbor). Even by way of your further explanation, because it can't be both neighbors whoever they might be and only Jewish neighbors.

It's much easier to understand in the context of believing these are commandments specifically for Jews, that the commandment is to love other Jews. Not just any neighbor who is not Jewish. Not sure that's not a fair interpretation in any case all considered. Is it not?

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-30-2020 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 12:31 PM

All very interesting to consider far as I'm concerned, and thanks again to anyone interested in participating, contributing, in the same sort of fair, honest, straightforward and sincere manner, ultimately to further a discussion about an important subject. While I am thinking to take a break from this forum for a bit...

Until my return, cheers to all, and I mean all!

Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,272,337 times
Quote:

From what text are you drawing that reads differently? (And/or that I should use instead).

Still a little confusing regardless, because it's either we should love our neighbor like our self, no matter who our neighbor happens to be or what they believe, or more specifically only if our neighbor is Jewish. Ultimately reads to me like Jews commanded to love other Jews (not just any neighbor). Even by way of your further explanation, because it can't be both neighbors whoever they might be and only Jewish neighbors.

It's much easier to understand in the context of believing these are commandments specifically for Jews, that the commandment is to love other Jews. Not just any neighbor who is not Jewish. Not sure that's not a fair interpretation in any case all considered. Is it?
I assume that the chabad site incorporates Jewish understanding into the translation and since the Jewish understanding is that this applies to Jews, they add that to the translation.

There are laws about how to deal with a generic neighbor, but this set of commandments is specifically about dealing with other Jews. it isn't a commentary on how we should treat others. Similarly, laws telling Jews how to treat Tuesday isn't a commentary on how we treat Wednesday. We look to Wednesday laws to deal with Wednesday.

Don't look at the translation of "neighbor" and assume this is talking about the guy who lives next to you on your street. The word refers to kin, part of a particular group, not just th guy who bought the house next door. Similarly, the earlier verse refers to "your brother" but that isn't just about your birth.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:55 PM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
Quote:

Still a little confusing regardless, because it's either we should love our neighbor like our self, no matter who our neighbor happens to be, or more specifically only if our neighbor is Jewish. Ultimately reads to me like Jews commanded to love other Jews (not just any neighbor). Even by way of your further explanation, because it can't be both neighbors whoever they might be and only Jewish neighbors.

It's much easier to understand in the context of believing these are commandments specifically for Jews, that the commandment is to love other Jews. Not just any neighbor who is not Jewish. Not sure that's not a fair interpretation in any case all considered. Is it not?

Look, he just told you:

"The Torah was very shrewd in giving these directives to the Israelite in a staggered form. 1) First of all, one is not to hate a fellow Jew; 2) next, one is not take revenge for something a fellow Jew has done to him; 3) one is not even to bear a grudge; 4) one is to love one's fellow Jew. The Torah uses 2 different descriptions for a fellow Jew, a) "your brother;" b) "your colleague" or "member of your people." "

I, actually, do like choice of "shrewd'. Otherwise, do you see anywhere mentioning of loving people, other than Jews?

Matter of fact, as Op, maybe you should read through ALL of Mitzvoh. I got as far as half of them. Boy, did my hands itch to post some here... that is a very interesting compilation but no, nowhere does it say to love ALL people. Not to marry a non Jew - sure. But not that. Of course, there will be lengthy and eloquent "explanations" of what was meant and how it was originally said and so on and so on.... old sophists....

Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Still curious what cleave means...
You don’t know what ‘cleave’ means?...

Old 10-02-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Rashi:

You shall fear the Lord, your God: and worship Him and cleave to Him. After you have all these qualities, then you may swear by His Name.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Stick to...

Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Christianity says the same thing for Christians to love other Christians..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality