Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 11:05 AM

63,999 posts, read 40,305,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
My mom's belief in religion (especially that the wine and bread were literally the body of Jesus) is what convinced her to stay here on earth with my brother and me. She was the only person who was truly kind to me in my childhood and so the only person who loved me in the way it made sense. Things could have been very different for us if she did not have that faith. While the assumption could be that she would have reached the same conclusion if raised as an atheist or that she could have thought differently altogether without religion, after everything I have learned, I seriously doubt it.
I would not disagree with your basic premise that faith, as in your mother's case, can play a very positive role in our life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 11:47 AM

51,074 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I wouldn't even necessarily say it's based on faith, though. I know this is semantics, but to me, I would say "based on faith" as something that is actually taught by the religion and supported by its texts/known teachings. I would describe what you mention more as being based on "wishful thinking"-- what the person personally hopes will happen, not necessarily what their religion says will happen. "Facts," on the other hand, are harder to come by in religion. It's a fact that churches and temples exist and people go to them. But it's faith that Jesus or Buddha or Vishnu actually exist.

For example, on a Christian front: is there actually evidence in Christianity-- as in, the Bible-- that heaven is going to be like a big family reunion where we will again see everyone we know who has died? There are passages that tell us it's going to be a place of worshiping God and such, but is there anything that says yeah, we'll be hanging out with Grandma again and having the same human relationships we had in life? Yet most people like to think that will be the case. It's certainly not "fact" because we don't for sure that it's true, even if it's taught by Christianity (though of course it would be a "fact" that it's taught, but that means nothing). It may be "faith" if there is indeed scripture that tells us it's the case. Or it may be "wishful thinking" because it's something that makes people feel good to believe even though it actually has no basis in the teachings of their religion.

(I have no idea if any of that made sense to anyone but me.)
It makes sense...in fact I liked especially what I bolded.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:49 AM

28,139 posts, read 30,082,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree, but I'd modify that to "sense" rather than "feeling". Feeling implies emotion. Sense is more of an awareness.
It's definitely more than an emotion.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,228,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I wouldn't even necessarily say it's based on faith, though.
It is 100% based on faith and very bad "science."

People in ancient times developed the concept of a soul because they were completely unaware of the existence of biological cells (and it would 22 centuries before anyone learned that) and they were unaware that the highly specialized brain cells interacted with hormones and enzymes (and it would be another 4 centuries before that was learned).

Because of their lack of knowledge, the only "logical" reason to them as to why humans had a personality and could think is because they were possessed by a soul.

It is no different than you believing that your TV has a soul because it is "alive" and it talks to you only to find out that your TV is comprised of thousands of highly specialized electronic components (brain cells) that actually make it work when electrical current (hormones and enzymes) flows through it.

You may continue to believe that your TV has a soul, or you may enter the world of reality and accept the fact that your TV has no soul.

Should you continue to believe that your TV has a soul, you can scream you're being persecuted by people who try to explain to you how your TV actually works and how they're all going to Hell because they don't believe a TV has a soul.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:29 PM

16,154 posts, read 7,131,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

People in ancient times developed the concept of a soul because they were completely unaware of the existence of biological cells (and it would 22 centuries before anyone learned that) and they were unaware that the highly specialized brain cells interacted with hormones and enzymes (and it would be another 4 centuries before that was learned).

Because of their lack of knowledge, the only "logical" reason to them as to why humans had a personality and could think is because they were possessed by a soul.

It is no different than you believing that your TV has a soul because it is "alive" and it talks to you only to find out that your TV is comprised of thousands of highly specialized electronic components (brain cells) that actually make it work when electrical current (hormones and enzymes) flows through it.

You may continue to believe that your TV has a soul, or you may enter the world of reality and accept the fact that your TV has no soul.

Should you continue to believe that your TV has a soul, you can scream you're being persecuted by people who try to explain to you how your TV actually works and how they're all going to Hell because they don't believe a TV has a soul.

THERE is a whole thread about discussing science in R&S which is not allowed.
Anyway.
What would have been the benefit of inventing the idea of a soul?
Those people who did conclude there is a spirit/soul/inner self were also contemplating the universe and the human body. They knew how the body works and functions and how to heal it. They knew mathematics and algebra and construction, farming and husbandry.
Why did they need a soul?
Those people who went into meditation and declared a soul exists also knew what causes mental trauma and how it can be healed.
They did not sell their discoveries but gave away their possessions and went and lived in forests to teach and meditate some more. Many did not even leave a name or authorship.
What was the cost benefit?

Old 12-12-2020, 02:04 PM

6,498 posts, read 4,034,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

But with that sentence, I was not referring to the difference between "faith" and "fact." I was referring to a semantic difference between "faith" as taught by one's religion, and "faith" that comes solely from the person rather than from their religion's teachings. The difference between the TV Cult Religion teaches that the TV has a soul, and one of the TV Cult Religion's followers choosing to believe that the TV has a soul and visits its followers in their sleep, because it comforts them to think so despite the fact that the TV Cult Religion has never taught this.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:25 PM

28 posts, read 14,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
when you describe the mechanics of a soul which is part of God entering the body when a baby is born and then leaving the body when the physical body dies, that is exactly the mechanics i also understand and describe."

My question was: What is the actual evidence for the bolded?

So, what do you all think? Is there significant evidence for this? Or is this another example of confusing faith and fact?
It's well known that God imparts souls at the quickening, not birth.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponatimeindenver View Post
It's well known that God imparts souls at the quickening, not birth.
"it's well known"? Too christians it's well known. To most of the rest of the world it's not known at all.

And this is the problem -- the assumption something like that is "well known", with the emphasis on the word known.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:06 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"it's well known"? Too christians it's well known. To most of the rest of the world it's not known at all.

And this is the problem -- the assumption something like that is "well known", with the emphasis on the word known.
Huh?

I've never heard any Christian (or anyone) say this before. It's well known to that poster maybe.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh?

I've never heard any Christian (or anyone) say this before. It's well known to that poster maybe.
My mistake...I was simply thinking of god imparting a soul...but I was not thinking about the quickening...a term I actually had to look up.

But that mistake sorta made my point once again. Just cause someone says something they believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality