Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 09:19 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

How is your meditation?
I don't think it's working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Jesus did miracles. People believed it.
Now, no Jesus. No Jesus miracles.
What happened?

Well this is a kicker

Quote:
"Why does Jesus have to leave?
Jesus left so He would not hinder the mission.

Jesus knew that if He had stayed on earth in His physical body, the good news He made happen in His physical body would have gotten only as far as He could carry it with His physical body. Jesus left us because He brilliantly understands how we work.May 23, 2016

Two Reasons Jesus Left Us - Adult Ministry - Lifeway

lifeway.com
https://adultministry.lifeway.com › 2016/05/23 › two-rea.."
LOL they got it covered. I always heard that god was fed up with humanity and when he did come back the earth would be destroyed by fire. Or something like that. It's in there.

2 Peter 3:10
New International Version
10 But the day of the Lord(remember her?) will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.[a]

There it is. All the information one needs to hear. Here he comes, walking down the street, get the funniest looks from, everyone he meets. Hey hey it's Jesus, and he's not monkeying around. He's too busy burning people, to put anybody down.

I've gone too far.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:50 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default Ask an atheist...?

NorthSouth, Thank you for this thread. The posts highlight the fact that it is the beliefs and expectations in religions that have been created by humans that are the primary stumbling block to belief in God. As Mordant repeatedly points out, there is and has been no actual justification for those beliefs and expectations except human wishful thinking. It is past time to stop that nonsense and consider God on His terms NOT ours.

I had no choice but to do that since I had no prior beliefs or expectations about God when I encountered Him. I am convinced that our only choice is to use what science has discovered about Him as the only basis for forming our expectations unless we are fortunate enough to encounter Him personally as I did. He is accessible, but not through our sensory system. "Be ye quiet and know that I am."

Old 05-28-2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
NorthSouth, Thank you for this thread. The posts highlight the fact that it is the beliefs and expectations in religions that have been created by human that are the primary stumbling block to belief in God.As Mordant repeatedly points out, there is and has been no actual justification for those beliefs and expectations except human wishful thinking. It is past time to stop that nonsense and consider God on His terms NOT ours.

I had no choice but to do that since I had no prior beliefs or expectations about God when I encountered Him. I am convinced that our only choice is to use what science has discovered about Him as the only basis for forming our expectations unless we are fortunate enough to encounter Him personally as I did. He is accessible, but not through our sensory system. "Be ye quiet and know that I am."
Thanks Mystic, I am happier with the results of this thread than I was previously. It did not go as intended but what thread does? I'm like you in the way that we both know better than to accept any human's version of what a god would be like. What it would want, what it is thinking or saying, what it does or is going to do.....very arrogant of anyone to expect people to buy into their nonsense. But they do. For thousands of years. It's very frustrating for an atheist.

What I bolded in blue above, I agree with that the whole statement as you know. However, I do think that with atheists there is no stumbling block. There's nothing to stumble over. It's very cut and dry and not everyone is in search of the unseen because we know better. In no way do I discount your personal experience, it's what you believe and that's ok by me.

I have never understood (I thought I did when I was that other name) why people feel this strong urge to worship something. But did I really ever feel that? No I did not. Someone taught me that I should worship this invisible being and I didn't know any better. I was embarrassed at a very young age by what I witnessed others doing in church and what my family was saying and how they behaved. So I have no real mercy for the raving mad fundamentalists on here, it's very sad to me but they need to think outside the religion box for a minute.

It's ok to question, it's ok to not be sure, it's not ok to be so sure you are correct that you are willing to attack others and condemn, judge and threaten with hellfire just because they have a different belief or opinion. I feel sure most people have heard about Jesus by now. Personal beliefs should be just that.....personal. Non-belief should be widely accepted by now but it's still as unacceptable as it ever was.

There is no answer since personal experiences are unverifiable. There doesn't need to be an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality