Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 07:31 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No different than what happens to a Catholic (or Hindu or Mormon or Buddhist) who doesn't agree with everything about their religion.

Sure hope this reply doesn't get anyone going on the ridiculous argument that atheism is a religion. Hopefully everyone's critical thinking skills are at least better than that!
I do t know about the others, no Hindu ever gets kicked out. There is no club. Heresy is unknown. All paths when lovingly followed lead to Krishna. An elementary textbook on Religious Studies would be an useful aid when one dives into religions. Even for an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 07:38 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I do t know about the others, no Hindu ever gets kicked out. There is no club. Heresy is unknown. All paths when lovingly followed lead to Krishna. An elementary textbook on Religious Studies would be an useful aid when one dives into religions. Even for an atheist.
"Club" is a term that mensaguy chose to use, and I decided to leave it be though I wouldn't call atheism a club. Obviously atheism is not a club, and I'm not aware of anyone getting kicked out of anything as a result of not agreeing entirely with that list. I'm sure mensaguy was not being entirely serious with the way he posed his question. I am an atheist and I've never been in an atheist club. It's something like the term cult, that some people like to use as well. Often inappropriately, but the facts about this are rather simple as well.

Atheists tend to adhere to beliefs fairly well described by the list I posted earlier. Religious people tend to adhere to beliefs described in their holy books. The differences along these lines are significant and profound. All obviously dependent or conditional upon whatever we deem most likely to represent that facts and truths of these matters.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:17 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"Club" is a term that mensaguy chose to use, and I decided to leave it be though I wouldn't call atheism a club. Obviously atheism is not a club, and I'm not aware of anyone getting kicked out of anything as a result of not agreeing entirely with that list. I'm sure mensaguy was not being entirely serious with the way he posed his question. I am an atheist and I've never been in an atheist club. It's something like the term cult, that some people like to use as well. Often inappropriately, but the facts about this are rather simple as well.

Atheists tend to adhere to beliefs fairly well described by the list I posted earlier. Religious people tend to adhere to beliefs described in their holy books. The differences along these lines are significant and profound. All obviously dependent or conditional upon whatever we deem most likely to represent that facts and truths of these matters.
(a) the fact is that there is no such thing as a "typical atheist"

[are you able to recognize how these statements are problematic: "a typical black person" "a typical homosexual" "a typical German" "a typical Jew" . if not then that is an even bigger problem]

(b) any list of "atheists tend to adhere to these beliefs" is a false premise from the get-go because
(c) atheism is one thing only, and a very simple thing at that: lack of belief in gods.
(d) if someone is going to claim that "atheists tend to adhere to these beliefs" then that is setting up atheists as a group or club or sect.
(e) it is not logical and not rational to deny that atheists are a group or club or sect, while at the same time promoting publishing distributing a tract which states "atheists tend to adhere to these beliefs."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-13-2023 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-13-2023, 08:54 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

[are you able to recognize how these statements are problematic: "a typical black person" "a typical homosexual" "a typical German" "a typical Jew" . if not then that is an even bigger problem]

(b) any list of "atheists tend to adhere to these beliefs" is a false premise from the get-go because
(c) atheism is one thing only, and a very simple thing at that: lack of belief in gods.
(d) if someone is going to claim that "atheists tend to adhere to these beliefs" then that is setting up atheists as a group or club or sect.
(e) it is not logical and not rational to deny that atheists are a group or club or sect, while at the same time promoting publishing distributing a tract which states "atheists tend to adhere to these beliefs."
Typical

Old 01-13-2023, 09:13 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:

Are you able to recognize the difference between 'are' and 'can be'? A clue, what is wrong with the phrase 'a typical German likes sausages'?

Quote:
Except c does not preclude b, so you have another non sequitur.

Quote:
No, it is only setting them up only as a group. That is what a group is, a plural of things. But carry on building your straw man.

Quote:
No one is denying atheists (plural) are a group.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:33 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:

This is a typical comment of yours...

Or might you be wanting to argue that typical is not a word now? Here's the typical definition found in most dictionaries for your general reference before you comment about this again.

Typical: having the distinctive qualities of a particular type of person or thing.

Old 01-15-2023, 04:06 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,792,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Typical
My thoughts also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality