Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM

397 posts, read 1,027,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hi Alpha! Love your posts...such patience...admire that.

So, what in your opinion is the ultimate sin?

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."

And how what is your opinion of the above verse?

As far as GSTroop: I can totally understand how this site would would not bring you closer to God...I can totally understand how this site would take people from God...I can totally understand how it would make one question their own faith...: But on a good note, it has made me read and read and read some more of the bible. I just pray that all people take the time to read for themselves and don't just turn from God because someone told them that they are doing things wrong.
Hi:

Actually, I wouldn't really blame this site - at least for me, it hasn't increased my atheism or anything like that. It is a nice place to reason and to debate and pick up a thing or two from others, but anyone who changes his or her mind based on a few posts doesn't have much of a foundation.

I would say that my loss of faith (quite a few years back) was gradual, but came mainly from my study of the Bible. I noted many inconsistencies, and the more I thought, researched, and read, the more ridiculous it became.

I honestly believe that one of the most dangerous things a believer can do is to read the Bible from front to back diligently. One needs to exert immense pressure and apply immense twisting and rationalization to try and reconcile different things that don't make any sense. Eventually, with an open enough mind, you realize that it is futile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
"they tend to stay that way". Usually. But there have been converts, and those people are who the originator was targeting. Instead, the post filled up with so much off-topic garbage that I'm surprised it wasn't shut down by now. (I've had entries removed for a less, but some moderators aren't as anal as others.)

All the "logic" and "scientific" arguments I've been reading for months haven't proven a thing to me, either.
There would be a lot more responses if the opposite question had been asked, I'm afraid that atheists turned to God are few and far between. Regarding your comment about science and logic, it is your right to believe whatever you want, but science and logic are all around you...Do you not see it?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM

397 posts, read 1,027,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
That's because once someone is an atheist, they tend to stay that way. Logic and facts and evidence trump fairy tales. Once you stop believing that Santa exists, it's pretty difficult to go back. Thank god.
I generally agree with this. For the most part, atheists stay that way - once you've become a freethinker and rely on evidence and reason only, you don't usually go back.

However, I do know one ex-atheist personally. His new "faith" lead from a traumatic event in his life. I think, if it happens, it usually comes from some dramatic event, and the person reads too much into it, or it becomes a coping mechanism. Perhaps some revert back to those childhood fantasies. I don't know, but in any event, it doesn't happen often.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
I generally agree with this. For the most part, atheists stay that way - once you've become a freethinker and rely on evidence and reason only, you don't usually go back.
I believe that is a fair statement. It is the reliance on evidence and reason alone (left brain knowledge) that is the stumbling block. Failure to develop any right brain skills for experiencing reality in a disciplined way shortchanges the available information about reality. I was raised Catholic (never really bought into it or believed) . . . became openly atheist in my late teens . . . became a meditator and experimented with many eastern practices . . . after 18 years or so of practice I had a breakthrough meditation experience which brought me back to belief in God . . . I have been refining my understanding using both science and meditation ever since. I don't know if that qualifies for this thread.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,324,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There would be a lot more responses if the opposite question had been asked, I'm afraid that atheists turned to God are few and far between. Regarding your comment about science and logic, it is your right to believe whatever you want, but science and logic are all around you...Do you not see it?
What I see as logic may differ radically from what YOU see as logic.

As for science, no, not really. Science changes with the currents, and we don't even know a fraction of a fraction.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times
Bluesbabe wrote:
Quote:
What I see as logic may differ radically from what YOU see as logic.

As for science, no, not really. Science changes with the currents, and we don't even know a fraction of a fraction.
The reason science is always changing is because we're always adjusting to new information and taking into account things we didn't know. That's the strength of science. Whenever you say that you already know everything and then build up a wall around it and refuse to accept new ideas then you're stuck at a certain point in time and no progress can be made. I look at science as being somewhat humble because we're acknowledging the reality that we don't have all of the answers and we're in a constant pursuit of learning more. That's very different from any religious dogma which claims to have all of the answers.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,324,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Bluesbabe wrote:

The reason science is always changing is because we're always adjusting to new information and taking into account things we didn't know. That's the strength of science. Whenever you say that you already know everything and then build up a wall around it and refuse to accept new ideas then you're stuck at a certain point in time and no progress can be made. I look at science as being somewhat humble because we're acknowledging the reality that we don't have all of the answers and we're in a constant pursuit of learning more. That's very different from any religious dogma which claims to have all of the answers.
Yes, I've had this explained to me several times on these posts, but it still doesn't matter. The earth is NOT flat ~ fine and dandy, I think we can all agree to proof of that. But in general I usually leave room for doubt. It's in my nature.

Same thing with health "discoveries" regarding foods. Studies can't seem to stick with conclusions regarding what's harmful and what isn't harmful to eat ~ it changes back 'n' forth ~ and I've stopped putting stock into it. I'll eat the foods (my fate eventually is death, anyway).

And many religions do change over time, especially Catholicism, believe it or not. In fact ~ and I'm not even a church-goer ~ it changes so much that I find it bothersome. Maybe that's because the changes aren't the ones I would choose.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,156,622 times
I was once an atheist. I was a pre med student and was really into scientifc facts, etc. I didn't believe in God. I thought HE was just a myth, perpetuated by ignorant people who wanted to explain scientific realms. Boy was I wrong. I 'discovered' GOD when I was 26 but it wasn't until the age of 33 that I really got to KNOW HIM. So I totally get where the atheists are coming from. I used to feel the same way.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,457,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I was once an atheist. I was a pre med student and was really into scientifc facts, etc. I didn't believe in God. I thought HE was just a myth, perpetuated by ignorant people who wanted to explain scientific realms. Boy was I wrong. I 'discovered' GOD when I was 26 but it wasn't until the age of 33 that I really got to KNOW HIM. So I totally get where the atheists are coming from. I used to feel the same way.
CTR36, how did you do that? I can't imagine what it would take short of a miracle for me to change my lack of belief in to belief. How did you choose which god to believe in? Please believe I am sincere in my questions and I am not trying to mock you.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,524,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
They look angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality