Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,286,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, my mother-in-law's salvation wasn't threatened, (so far as I know), but I do know, that back in the fifties, (my husband was about ten, also), in some church in North Carolina, that she had made a pledge, (I think it was for a building fund), as did many others, to the church. She paid faithfully on it, but it came to a point that they began to have financial difficulties, and she was no longer able to continue with her pledge. Instead of inquiring as to whether the family might need help, the church had the brass you-know-whats to threaten her with a lawsuit, of all things. Needless to say, that didn't go over very well; she let them have it, with both barrels! They backed down; not that they had any kind of a leg to stand on, anyway. They were just trying to scare her into forking over the money. Too bad they didn't know her very well, or they wouldn't have been that idiotic!
Well, as we all know, regrettably, there really are some bad stories out there about what has happened with a church. That's why it is imperative to seek out a church where you feel like you can trust your leadership to act and make decisions (financial and otherwise) with integrity...and if at some point, you discover otherwise, as I said earlier, get out of there as fast as your little legs can carry you! Find someplace else. They DO exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
As a result the "Sunday Speaker" explained to him that this could ruin his "chances of salvation" or something along those lines. I thought my dad was going to punch him. Anyway, since then, it has made me wonder how a church could possibly arrange to receive donations this large without the possibility of "threatening" someone's salvation.
That's insane. Unbiblical. Heresy. (What other words can throw in there.)

Sorry that happened to you GCSTroop....no excuse for it....now or later!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, as we all know, regrettably, there really are some bad stories out there about what has happened with a church. That's why it is imperative to seek out a church where you feel like you can trust your leadership to act and make decisions (financial and otherwise) with integrity...and if at some point, you discover otherwise, as I said earlier, get out of there as fast as your little legs can carry you! Find someplace else. They DO exist.
In my mind, even at the age of 10, it really made me wonder what the true purpose of a church was for. As I grew up, and with that thought in the back of my head, I started to realize that more and more people have abused God's name in order to benefit their own wallet. At about the same time, I started studying biology in high school. I don't remember Darwinian theory being taught in school, I'm not even sure if it was allowed. But, as I started to study biology I had a thought. What if things change over time to better their cause? About a year after this little inkling, but not really following up on it, I was introduced to evolution, and I was excited! It was the first time anything made sense to me about where we came from and what we were doing here.

As I learned more and more about religion and actually had a girlfriend (STRICT Southern Baptist) who read the bible to me and tried to convert me, I truly realized that it was nothing more than a good story. I asked her some of the same questions that I have asked on here and most of the one's that I asked her that she didn't answer me on haven't been answered on here.

Still having the notion of the "Sunday Speaker" coming to my house has in some small way impacted the way I feel towards churches and religion but it wasn't the sole factor. As I started to study history and biology religion seemed to make much less sense unless your talking about "cents".

Sorry to go off topic, I started rambling and realized I was trying to make a point but went off track for the topic but I had written way TOO much to not submit my reply. Again, my apologies.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM

111 posts, read 596,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Mega Churches are mega business where the ministers live in mega houses driving mega cars for their mega egos and many folks go because it is mega easy.
Sorry... but that is mega wrong.

If a pastor, or the Church in general has a heart after Christ, and people are being saved, and most importantly, the Church is being 100% obedient to the last commision (to make dicsiples), then a Church will grow and become what we call "a mega Church."

God increases the territory of the righteous, because he can trust the righteous. God used one of those "mega churches" to bring me back to Christianity... I wasn't living for Christ, as a matter of fact, I HATED Christianity, but through a Pastor of a church of over 25,000 strong, God led me back to Him. Now, I am a follower of Christ to the fullest. The teaching at that "mega church" changed me around.

God uses those churches to touch people all around the world. That mega church I was referring is located in Georgia, and I live in Southern California. I started listening to that Pastor on television, then I went to Georgia for three months, and attended the church and my walk with Christ accelerated at a fast pace... And yes the Pastor lives in a nice big house with his family, and drives a luxury automobile, which I belives is 100% fine.

If you live according to the Lord, then your life will reflect God's goodness in your life.

God's word says it best, " I will not withhold no good from those who walk uprightly," and I believe that with all my heart. God is faithful!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,286,242 times
Well, GCStroop-

I think it's a shame that something happened like that to get you started in that direction. Of course, maybe you consider if "all for the best" if you know what I mean! I think it's a shame though. And I agree, it probably wasn't the only thing that influenced you, but it obviously was one thing anyway.

Last edited by kaykay; 05-09-2007 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks Kay,

Hey guys, I have a great video for anyone who wants to watch. I think it takes more of an evolutionist standpoint but it really is comical the way it's done. It's just interesting to watch. Take it for what it is.

http://www.filecabi.net/video/what_we_are.html (broken link)

Old 05-09-2007, 04:48 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,626,158 times
Quote:
I was introduced to evolution, and I was excited! It was the first time anything made sense to me about where we came from and what we were doing here.
I'm not an atheist, or anything remotely close, but I can understand why some folks think that evolution could be an explaination, as to how we came to be, (I just think that our Creator could have used it as a possible means). However, that being said, may I ask you a question? I'd like to know, how does evolution explain to an atheist, "what we were doing here"? I'm not trying to be a smart-a** about it. I really would like to know. To my knowledge, I've never known an avowed atheist, and although I've learned some from those of you who are, on this forum, I don't recall this particular question being addressed. So, in your opinion, what are we, as a human species doing here? Or, should I say, what is our purpose, or do we even have one? Does that make sense? I hope so, because I really would like to know what you think.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I'm not an atheist, or anything remotely close, but I can understand why some folks think that evolution could be an explaination, as to how we came to be, (I just think that our Creator could have used it as a possible means). However, that being said, may I ask you a question? I'd like to know, how does evolution explain to an atheist, "what we were doing here"? I'm not trying to be a smart-a** about it. I really would like to know. To my knowledge, I've never known an avowed atheist, and although I've learned some from those of you who are, on this forum, I don't recall this particular question being addressed. So, in your opinion, what are we, as a human species doing here? Or, should I say, what is our purpose, or do we even have one? Does that make sense? I hope so, because I really would like to know what you think.

To put it very simply... we are surviving. Jurassic Park said it the best "Life will find a way." I know it's a little boring and mundane but that is what it boils down to.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,626,158 times
Quote:
To put it very simply... we are surviving. Jurassic Park said it the best "Life will find a way." I know it's a little boring and mundane but that is what it boils down to.
Yipe! No offense, but I think I'll stick to a belief in a Creator! Not that I hold with quite a few Christian beliefs, (in fact, some of the things that ramble through my brain would probably irritate the heck out of a fundamentalist Christian), but I definitely prefer to think that someone had a hand in us being here, and that that same someone has something in mind for us, after this life. I like to believe that there is more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality