Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 AM

19 posts, read 49,142 times

Advertisements

I've seen one scorpion in the 12 years I've lived here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,054 times
Default scorpions in Reno

Yes, they are here. I found one near my backyard. It was small and gold/tan. I am south west
Reno in the desert area 89511 zip.

Last edited by boodog1021; 08-05-2015 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: wrong area

Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,180 times
I've encountered 2 scorpions and 2 people in my neighborhood have had what you would be called "unfortunate" encounters.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,562 times
Living in the Reno fifteen years, as well as the Virginia Highlands(south east Virginia City) in certain areas yes there are quite a few scorpions. My cats brought in three over the years somehow they did not get stung. I smashed them they do act aggressive as well and will advance. From my understanding it's a nasty sting but not fatal. They are a gold and brown color. I have also seen them in north east part of the city up near Parr Blvd going towards the Sheriff's office. I have seen more Scorpions than rattle snakes here I have only seen one ever my Saint Bernard sniffed it out. I have seen more rattlers in hills of Monterey,California then I have ever seen near Reno. Nothing with in the city it's self.

Last edited by stephlmt; 08-24-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,496 times
Yes! There are bugs in the high desert:however, we do have weather and lots of lizards! Scorpions and snakes are generally in newly turned over ground so be careful. I know of someone who purchased land near Pyramid Lake and turned over the ground. They named the property "Scorpion Ranch". We also have people who have had trouble with other things such as bats, raccoon, cockroaches, crickets, snakes (poisonous and non-poisonous), cicada (locust looking creatures). Mostly, I think Orkin and Terminex have done the hard jobs! Still, I always check my shoes for scorpions and spiders if they've been left outside just to be safe.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,292 times
Exclamation Scorpions. Yes, yes we do. Plenty

I've been stung three times in the last three years. The sting hurts like a bad bee sting. It burns and itches for about 48 hours. My most recent sting came with swelling and purple discoloring and got some antibiotics to be safe. I live up on Peavine above the Morman temple. 89523. 5472 ft above sea level. Last night my daughters and I got two black lights and went hunting. It took us 30 minutes to find 20 of them. They love rock rip wrap and graded hill sides. 2" to 4" long. We collected 3 in a fish bowl with tongs.

Stunned to hear that so many people don't know they are here. Reply. I'll send you pix. I'll give you a quick tour and send you home with one in a mason jar if you like.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:49 PM

340 posts, read 664,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnjnky View Post
I've been stung three times in the last three years. The sting hurts like a bad bee sting. It burns and itches for about 48 hours. My most recent sting came with swelling and purple discoloring and got some antibiotics to be safe. I live up on Peavine above the Morman temple. 89523. 5472 ft above sea level. Last night my daughters and I got two black lights and went hunting. It took us 30 minutes to find 20 of them. They love rock rip wrap and graded hill sides. 2" to 4" long. We collected 3 in a fish bowl with tongs.

Stunned to hear that so many people don't know they are here. Reply. I'll send you pix. I'll give you a quick tour and send you home with one in a mason jar if you like.
Very interesting! Any possible use for them once you've collected them, other than giving them out as gifts?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Very interesting! Any possible use for them once you've collected them, other than giving them out as gifts?
We just let them go. It's kinda fun chasing them. Some fight back. Some flee.

I guess we could encase them in plastic as keychain souvenirs. :-)

Old 09-03-2019, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Moved to Red Rock @ 395 area of north Reno about one year ago. Encountered rattlesnake first week within 3 feet of house, None since. Have discovered 3 scorpions in house last 3 weeks, one in bed covers. Set sticky paper traps to catch last one within hour of setting trap. All were small at about 1.5 inch. More observant and careful now, gonna buy battery powered black light, makes them glow in dark.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:33 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
In 22 years we have never seen one but we live in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area