Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:48 AM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Which kinda-simply confirms my concern that (decent*) home prices anywhere are going to be out-of-reach for DW & I, when we finally get around to retiring (Hopefully in 2 - 2.5 years).
... Dang it!
Tom - I hope that prices do not rise much more in the region. Wages haven't increased with the home prices. They expect 40,000 more people in the region by 2020. Vacancy rates for apartments is at an all time low. I have seen more construction for apartments around the area. Btw a 4 bedroom 2 bath home 1400 sf listed for 224k. That's about average now and it'll probably get snatched up real quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM

42,852 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Reno climate is not warm the majority of the year. I know it depends on the definition of warm but its more cold and windy than warm. I spent 20 years in Reno and I now live in Central Texas where it is warm 1/4 of the year, HOT 1/4 of the year, mildly chilly 1/4 of the year and chilly to cold 1/4 of the year. I actually really like the Central Texas climate. Get away from the major City of Austin and homes are affordable. Reno has the mountains, proximity to CA with major cities, beaches etc. Reno is still a small city without the major traffic/congestion issues of a larger city. I don't miss Reno, I don't miss the brown landscape but I do miss the beautiful mountains
I think you're spot on, Reno is cold for about 8 or 9 months out of the year and the wind is just miserable, and seems worse in the summer months when the weather is nice. I know not everyone likes Sacramento, but after 14 years in Reno I feel like I died and went to heaven! And we are only two hours from Reno, we are driving up tomorrow to spend the day with some of our friends.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,200 times
Reno is exactly what you think it is…or worse.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 PM

340 posts, read 665,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomingwhereplanted View Post
Reno is exactly what you think it is…or worse.
Or better .... as they say, YMMV

Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 AM

44 posts, read 78,754 times
I can give you 15 reasons not to move to reno!!! Commuting there for work is torture enough Ill stay in minden lol

Old 12-13-2015, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,494 times
awesome article. My husband is from vegas and minus the heat and crap economy..i loved it there. I never wanted to leave the state but we had some issues so now we reside in montana. Seriously considering Reno later this year.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 13,888 times
"Serious consideration is being given to somewhere warm, with seasonal hot."

Take a peek at Tucson.

Sans the hot summers it seems to have a lot going for it.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:55 AM

442 posts, read 1,078,505 times
There is a lot to do in the area and a lot of it doesn't break the wallet. Lots and lots of outdoor activities, and the mountains are nearby.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:07 AM

175 posts, read 250,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The article incorrectly implies Tesla, Apple and Amazon are moving there. Apple has a server farm on the edge of town that is exempt from sales and property tax. Amazon moved a warehouse there from rural Nevada and cut the number of employees in half. Tesla is building a battery factory with $15/hr jobs. 40% of Washoe County (Reno, NV) high school students drop out. Reno has a a boom-and-bust economy that is really susceptible to "busts"!
Yeah but renoites can save money since an apartment rents for $750.......in your studio city, CA you must be paying twice that plus huge income taxes

Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 AM

175 posts, read 250,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatson View Post
"Serious consideration is being given to somewhere warm, with seasonal hot."

Take a peek at Tucson.

Sans the hot summers it seems to have a lot going for it.
Tucson and all of Arizona also have a boom and bust economy and high drop out rates and a huge state income tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area