Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM

292 posts, read 430,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
If its snowing hard enough to close 80, you don't want to be anywhere near 395! 80 may be nasty for 50 miles or so, but 395 is hell for hundreds of miles in the snow. You don't really get out of the crap till Bishop.

Hard to predict, like said above, but they do a pretty good job of plowing. Some years there is not much snow at all.

The main problem I assume you will face is renting a car with suitable tires/and or having chains available. I don't rent cars, but that seems like a stretch. Find something All-Wheel, maybe. I think, however, you are required by law to carry chains in California. May want to check on that beforehand. This might help:

https://www.tirechain.com/california...equirement.htm

Happy Holidays!
All rental cars have snow tires (M&S).

Chains are forbidden by most rental car contracts since they can damage the car and are not covered by insurance.

There is no law that requires cars to have chains in California.

You can rent an SUV or truck with 4WD/AWD, but you will have to pay more, and they may not be available if a lot of people are going to Reno/Tahoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
^^^^^^ THis

US395 is much worse than I-80 in the snow. The reality is that since I-80 is an interstate, much care is taken to keep it open as much as possible.

As for chains, in California, chains will be required at various times, and most of the time, it will read either chains (for 2x4 cars) or snow tires on 4x4. Since 2012, when I started driving through the passes, I've never seen a situation where 4x4 and chains have been required.

Car rental companies will most likely carry 4x4 suvs in stock, but if there is a storm coming, they will go out quickly. They probably won't have snow tires in any rate, so the best would be to wait till the storm is over.
They all have snow tires.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
No. I routinely rent car in Reno and return them at SFO to fly out of SFO( for cheap international airfare)
Unless you have a special corporate code, if you do a one-way rental, you will have to pay triple to quadruple the round-trip rate, at Enterprise or Hertz at least.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
It only requires chain during and right after the storm, usually last about a day or two.
Not even a whole day usually. Often just 2-8 hours.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:24 PM

I drove on I-80 west of Truckee a few weeks with R-2 in effect and did not have chains. About 75% of the cars and minivans did not have them, even though required. No one is going to stop you and check for them unless you get pulled over for another reason. The conditions at that time did not warrant chains. I am from the east coast, and what I drive through was nothing. I guess California drivers and Caltrans don't know what they are doing, lol. There was unnecessary panic in the air there from the natives.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigu View Post
I have family that are coming into town around Christmas time, and they were thinking of renting a car from Reno, and drive to San Francisco, and then the coast to Los Angeles. I haven't been in Reno long enough to know if the Donner pass (is that the only way to San Fran?) is closed many times during the winter. Since they will only be in Reno 2 days, and then heading out to San Fran, should I advise them to fly to San Francisco from Reno?

How often was the Donner pass closed last year? did it require chains all winter long?
The problem will be getting an SUV with AWD/4WD unless it is reserved well in advance. If I-80 and US 50 are closed, it will be for only a short time (US 88 could be closed longer). R-1 or R-2 chain requirements may very well be in effect though. They might have to wait it out for a day, but with the weather, another storm could approach and the chain requirements could be in effect again the next day.

Best bet is to reserve that SUV in advance and check the weather closer to the date. Otherwise, be prepared to wait or turn back west to Sacramento to get a hotel for the night.

Check these websites for up-to-date chain requirements:

https://nvroads.com/ (map has the California chain requirements too)

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roadlt

Old 12-12-2018, 02:20 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,894,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Unless you have a special corporate code, if you do a one-way rental, you will have to pay triple to quadruple the round-trip rate, at Enterprise or Hertz at least.
You are misinformed.

for examples, I test Hertz with 1 day rental from RNO on Dec 20-Dec 21, $66.4 to return at SFO and $65.82 to return at RNO.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You are misinformed.

for examples, I test Hertz with 1 day rental from RNO on Dec 20-Dec 21, $66.4 to return at SFO and $65.82 to return at RNO.
I am not misinformed.

For example:

Hertz - Carson City, NV round-trip - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $48.20
Hertz - Carson City, NV to Concord, CA (Buchanan) - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $158.06

or

Hertz - Reno Tahoe International Airport round-trip - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $38.37
Hertz - Reno Tahoe International Airport to SFO - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $80.08

Last edited by milkit; 12-12-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,195,859 times
Quote:
I drove on I-80 west of Truckee a few weeks with R-2 in effect and did not have chains. About 75% of the cars and minivans did not have them, even though required. No one is going to stop you and check for them unless you get pulled over for another reason.
WRONG!

When they put up the "Real Deal" chain controls, Cal-Trans puts up crews on the highway, stops every car to check for chains and frequently have a CHP on-hand as well. You can attempt to blow through, or pretend to stop and install chains, but you are very likely to get caught and the CHP have very little sense of humor regarding this sort of thing.

I suspect you were driving in "Chains or Snow Tires" required conditions.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,894,974 times
Quote:
I am not misinformed.

For example:

Hertz - Carson City, NV round-trip - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $48.20
Hertz - Carson City, NV to Concord, CA (Buchanan) - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $158.06

or

Hertz - Reno Tahoe International Airport round-trip - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $38.37
Hertz - Reno Tahoe International Airport to SFO - 1 week day - full-size car - AAA discount: $80.08
I got the quote from the website and they are the same for me being a member, no special corporate discount

I try a random day No discount , no member:

1/3-1/4 Rno-SFO midsize $112

1/3-1/4 Rno-RNO mid size $102
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: