Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
How can two top 5 cities be pet friendly when its 100+ degrees for 5 months a year and often over 110???

The only thing that makes Reno not pet friendly are the coyotes...
Sorry Vic - Dogs are not bothered by heat very much. Ours actually lays in the sun when its 105 and loves his walks unless it is actually over 110. Then he cuts them short.

Prior dog was similar and also laid in the sun on the hot bricks. They are too hot for me to stand on them but that does not bother the dogs.

Our cat will also lay in the sun and bask for hours.

I think the truth is dogs and cats cool by aspiration and do not pass heat through their skin and fur.

Therefore ours always have a fresh water supply at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Carson City is the most dog-friendly city ever. Almost all trails are leash optional on the outskirts of town. Tons of trails near water sources. Dog park. Hotels might not be pet-friendly like Northern California idk. The best part about owning pets here is all of the BLM open spaces with little to no rules and very few ticks and rarely fleas. Reno and Carson both have limits on the number of dogs you can keep on a property without a special license. In Carson City it is 3 dogs.
The point about coyotes is well-taken. I live near BLM and the mountains in CC and we have given up on small pets. We have 2 large dogs and they have to be outside together even in the daytime. Never outside at night. Mountain lion, coyote packs, bobcat in the garage, raccoons, skunks. Now this is a rural area of the city, but if you are a hiker and you like to let your dogs off-leash, keep the coyotes in mind until your dogs learn to not mess with them. Most suburbs do not have mountain lions or bobcats that are a threat, but coyotes are an issue in a lot of areas. Small dogs can be killed or seriously harmed very quickly when walking in the sage if your not careful, and coyotes can jump backyard fencing easily. For most people it's not much of an issue, depends on what area you live in and how close to open space and mountains it is.
Actually virtually all golf courses and large rural parks are going to have coyotes. Sun City Summerlin for instance has a regular problem with them. And they are common where we live though not considered much of a threat as they have apparently learned that there are creatures behind our walls that can eat a coyote. So they prowl the streets but do not generally enter the backyards.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM

783 posts, read 837,179 times
Yes, I have 5 foot chain link backing up to a BLM mountain range full of hungry critters lol...so they are in my yard all the time. This is the only property in Carson City where I had this issue. Some places in Spanish Springs outside of Reno are having a big problem also and Lake Tahoe always has problems with bears on top of it. Location dependent.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:47 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Northern NV is not that hot. We live right in town and now that our 80lb dog is dead I always go outside with my 2 tiny dogs even during the day. At night I put up a gate so that they can't leave the patio and I go out with them. People see coyotes right in town. When we lived in the North Valleys we were allowed to have 4 dogs instead of 3. When we moved into town we were worried but no one cared. I think a neighbor would have to report you to be a issue.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:19 PM

107 posts, read 107,537 times
Pet friendly? Do you mean to find a place to rent? We are in the midst of a housing shortage so a lot of landlords don't have to rent to tenants with pets as they can pick and choose the best tenant. We don't have many dog parks here, but maybe enough for the size of the city considering that we are not that Urban, and most people who have dogs have yards to go with them.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:07 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I can think of at least 4 dog parks immediately without even trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area