Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 03:40 PM

275 posts, read 285,350 times

Advertisements

I see quite a few homes that aren't doing Xeriscape but just putting down dirt or stone. I get that it's a high desert and this would save money but, irrigation systems are effective and efficient. Also, you need green to help cool the area.
Does anyone know if no landscape is encouraged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
Xeriscape is encouraged, the water bill can encourage you more than anything lol.

I have an investment property that I took all the grass out of the front yard, put in decomposed granite base and then a gorgeous river rock berm with drip-watered bushes and trees. Xeriscape has so many beautiful ways to implement.

My own home has limited areas of grass, a lot of trees on drip and rock with shrubs. It's easy to care for and beautiful. I dislike large grass areas anyway because of the maintenance.

Most homes with only dirt or straight gravel are probably rental properties imo. Again, there are beautiful solutions like I did to my investment property to reduce water use, plus I don't have to worry about the renters killing the grass by forgetting to water or not mowing it and creating a neighborhood eyesore. A lot of landlords charge the water bill to the renter and that can cause them to not water enough. I pay the water bill for mine and taking out the front grass reduced the bill by $40-50 a month in the summer and my renter is happy to not have to worry about it.

Also, some communities restrict watering days for landscaping to every even or odd day. Carson City does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area