Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 08:27 AM

275 posts, read 285,709 times

Advertisements

Hi all. This is our first full summer in the area, we moved here August '20. Still loving it.

We were affected by the power outage in Sparks, last night. Not a huge deal, it happens, not griping about that. It did make us wonder if the area ever does the planned rolling blackouts that occur in California. If it would happen I suspect it would be during times of high usage, like the temperatures we're experiencing.

Can anyone fill me in on that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 12:41 PM

783 posts, read 841,132 times
Good Morning!
Nevada normally does not have planned outages, but I did read that the Sierra foothill areas might have planned blackouts during extreme fire danger weather events. (High winds and dry conditions). I do not think this is the case in Sparks. I have not read of brown or blackouts here due to high demand.
I have lived on the outskirts of my city in various locations and have experienced some power outages over the years…usually during winter storms or lightning events. One location I lived at had numerous outages due to faulty equipment.
Personally, I like having a wood stove and also a small generator now because of my experiences over the years. I even can cook on my wood stove if I need to.
Usually, the power will be restored quickly. NV Energy has a map function on its website showing outages and I think they have an app for your phone as well. I have called in local outages to them in the past when I do not see them on their map.
I have read about what can happen in California and am shocked because we have not experienced those extreme situations with blackouts here.

*I just checked my phone and I do have a NV Energy app on it that shows reported outages.

Lots of great info on this app. Here is a quote:”We are proud to have one of the top power reliability rankings in the nation. However, sometimes outages do occur because of events beyond our control, like extreme weather conditions and vehicle accidents involving utility poles and equipment. When this happens, rest assured that we will restore your power as quickly and safely as possible”…

Last edited by ChrisMT; 06-29-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 02:04 PM

275 posts, read 285,709 times
Sure, I understand what you're saying. We had a whole-house generator back in NY. Used to frequently lose power in the winter time until we installed the generator then, maybe once

I did use THE NV Energy map last night and they ended up sending us emails about the status of the outage.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2021, 02:19 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
Sure, I understand what you're saying. We had a whole-house generator back in NY. Used to frequently lose power in the winter time until we installed the generator then, maybe once

I did use THE NV Energy map last night and they ended up sending us emails about the status of the outage.

Thanks!
This sounds to be an excellent informative system Nevada has.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:40 PM

783 posts, read 841,132 times
I was more traumatized by the week-long gas outage we had back in my late teens...a pipeline broke somewhere?! Couldn't take hot showers as I had a gas water heater and no cooking on our gas stove This was in the winter and it was freeezzingg....no furnace to heat...just burned wood.

Fortunately, I had a relative with all electric appliances and dashed over there before a job interview. This was during a time of massive rainfall that was wreaking havoc on this area....Nevada is always boom or bust with the water it seems....

Anyway, if I remember correctly...last year was the first year planned outages were discussed as a possibility in the Tahoe basin and maybe the foothills during high fire danger...this would be where pine trees could take down power lines...not a problem in Sparks or most of the valley residential areas!!

My current neighborhood has all underground lines...so I should be good

Last edited by ChrisMT; 06-29-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area