Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 09:44 PM

44 posts, read 64,137 times

Advertisements

I have good job offers in both places and have visited both places several times. There's distinct advantages to each. Opinions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 06:05 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Reno is pricey and not for you if you dread dealing with the visitors there for gaming and partying.

Sedona is a bit of a "cult" destination.

Flagstaff sounds nice but is isolated..? Never been there but tried talking an ex into relocating there.

Local social media groups to those cities might have better info.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:57 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Reno is pricey and not for you if you dread dealing with the visitors there for gaming and partying.

Sedona is a bit of a "cult" destination.

Flagstaff sounds nice but is isolated..? Never been there but tried talking an ex into relocating there.

Local social media groups to those cities might have better info.
Definition of cult:
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
The followers of such a religion or sect.
A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

Could you elaborate?
Are Sedonites really cultish like the definition?

Old 10-01-2023, 11:10 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I would check out the weather and real estate in all 4 places. Reno’s real estate is now higher than Sacramento. Carson City gets more snow than Reno. The tourists aren’t a big deal in Reno as the town is big enough to stay away from those events if you want to avoid them. Sedona is small so probably much harder to do.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:10 PM

I wouldn't be dealing with tourists. Sedona is weird but I wouldn't be living there, but I'd be in Cottonwood. Reno is expensive but not nearly as expensive as Flagstaff. Housing is outrageous there. And yes Flagstaff is isolated. IMO Reno has so much more to offer, especially outdoors stuff, including you keep more of your paycheck due to no state income tax.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:11 PM

Reno has 300 sun days and 20 inches of snow per year. Flagstaff has about 165 sun days and 100 inches of snow per year.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:12 PM

A long term Sedona native explained to me a few weeks ago that Sedona is a portal to another dimension to outer space. And he was serious.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:44 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
The biggest reason I would prefer Northern Nevada over Flagstaff is WATER.

Where are all the lakes, ponds, streams, springs and rivers around Flagstaff? Maybe there are more than I know of.

I hike, bike or offroad every single day near water, my dogs are water dogs and swim. I love natural bodies of water. There is so much water in Northern Nevada.....desert lakes and rivers and alpine lakes and streams everywhere. I can hike every day in a different location with a half hour of my home near some type of water source.

Now we are not Oregon, or Northern California with huge crystal clear rivers, our water is seasonal down in the valleys sometimes and can be murky with sediment in some locations. Up in the Sierra, we have that crystal clear water everywhere and it's close by.

Also, we don't usually get as much snow although last winter we were probably close, hah! I do think we have more wind here. The sun here can be brutal, we can't hike midday in the summer down in the valley because the UV is so high and not as much shade as Flagstaff. You can go up in the Sierra foothills or enjoy the outdoors in the mornings or early evenings.

It seems like Flagstaff housing/rent is more expensive than Northern Nevada overall.

Anyway, I am sure you already know this, but there are websites where you can compare cities on all types of criteria side by side.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 10-01-2023 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2023, 06:01 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
It appears you've considered Reno area before. What is its biggest drawback to you?

What is Flagstaff area's biggest attraction to you? What specific topic do you want more commentary on that you didn't get enough of in another thread over the last few months?

Are you a downtown action person? They are somewhat different is size and style.

Both have mountains and desert access but which is more important to you?

Flagstaff / Sedona area has some small lakes, springs, creeks.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-01-2023 at 06:14 PM..

Old 10-01-2023, 08:53 PM

Thank you. You're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: