Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 AM

12 posts, read 43,805 times

Advertisements

when a landlord is evicting a tenant is the landlord allowed to communicate with the tenant ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Yes. There may be a different channel of communication if either party retained legal counsel.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yes. There may be a different channel of communication if either party retained legal counsel.

yes they can communicate if they have legal counsel ?

or no because of legality's ?

my apology for not understanding.

and thank you

Last edited by guy23; 10-02-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy23 View Post
yes they can communicate if they have legal counsel ?

or no because of legality's ?

my apology for not understanding.

and thank you
No, they can communicate period. However, IF either the LL or the tenant, or both, retain legal counsel to handle the eviction then any communication thereafter usually goes through the attorney(s). What's the situation in this case which prompted the question?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
No, they can communicate period. However, IF either the LL or the tenant, or both, retain legal counsel to handle the eviction then any communication thereafter usually goes through the attorney(s). What's the situation in this case which prompted the question?

i got a 3 day notice and i was told after the 3 day notice the LL cannot communicate with me after the 3 day notice.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Do you have a lease or are you a month to month tenant?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Default that might be true

I think in NY when you have a lease a landlord is not allowed to personally deliver the tenant either a notice or court papers they have to have a personal representative deliver the notice i think there are 3 ways to deliver it (but I don't remember what they are)

Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy23 View Post
when a landlord is evicting a tenant is the landlord allowed to communicate with the tenant ?
How did you come upon this information or what would give you the idea that communication isn't advisable, although its usually not necessary.

There may be an issue that needs immediate correction. Let me give you some examples; lets say this is a complex that has asigned parking and the tenant thats been filed on takes another tenants space or a window is broken at no fault of the tenant that needs immediate replacing or the tenant above them leaves the water running and floods out a portion of their apartment. These would all be reasons for contact.

Any discussions on the actual eviction aren't necessary and anything needed to be said can be done during the court hearing. However, when I worked in the industry we did accept past due rental payments from a couple of in arears residents that had been filed on, with the Reservation of Rights, meaning, we could accept their payments without dropping the filed evcition. Really depends on laws in your state.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Do you have a lease or are you a month to month tenant?
month to month

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
How did you come upon this information or what would give you the idea that communication isn't advisable, although its usually not necessary.

There may be an issue that needs immediate correction. Let me give you some examples; lets say this is a complex that has asigned parking and the tenant thats been filed on takes another tenants space or a window is broken at no fault of the tenant that needs immediate replacing or the tenant above them leaves the water running and floods out a portion of their apartment. These would all be reasons for contact.

Any discussions on the actual eviction aren't necessary and anything needed to be said can be done during the court hearing. However, when I worked in the industry we did accept past due rental payments from a couple of in arears residents that had been filed on, with the Reservation of Rights, meaning, we could accept their payments without dropping the filed evcition. Really depends on laws in your state.

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting