Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 PM

757 posts, read 1,333,644 times

Advertisements

Okay, so that's fine. Not trying to be difficult.
But this is the situation and I am not sure how it should be handled.
I rented a house for me and my daughter. Paid deposit and first months rent.
It is a room mate or shared house situation.
The property owner's son stays in one of the bedrooms.
A week into living here, I find herion laying in the garage. I spoke to the owners son. Told him that cant be in the house around my daughter.
He says sorry and wont happen again.
The guy is addicted and it continues.
I speak to the owners. They say for me to just pay this months rent and be out by the end if the month.
I dont have money to move now. They knew their son was a herion addict when they rented the place to me.

So then some oerson I have never seen is wandering in my living room. I told him he had to go. Later that night poluce arrive and arrest me. The son said I was harrassing him.
I get released no charges filed. They served me a restraining order that was denied by the court. Took all my property and moved it outside and stole my wallet while I was in jail.
My questions can I file a restraining order against the son, for his continued bringing drugs into the home and putting my daughter in harms way. ?
They gave me a three day notice to quit. And had an attorney contact me for collecting a debt.
I have not been given any eviction papers.
Do I start a civil case in small claims? Or do I have to wait till they file and respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 12:08 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,053,260 times
Walk away from that house and those people. Why would you want to put yourself and daughter through this? What do you think will happen to your daughter when you are in jail?

And AFTER you are gone hit them with a small claims court suit for what they took from you and your moving expenses.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:29 PM

32,772 posts, read 48,535,399 times
Why on earth are you fighting to stay there? Get out now. How hard can it be to move if you are only renting a room? You can't possibly own too much stuff, so box it up and get out.

You've had a 3 day notice that they are going to file for eviction. Get out before that happens. An eviction on your record will make your life difficult.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:54 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,746,305 times
"They gave me a three day notice to quit. And had an attorney contact me for collecting a debt. I have not been given any eviction papers."

What does the 3 day notice to quit state it is for? It must list something that needs to be or can be remedied. And what is the 'debt' thing all about that you mention?

Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,332,516 times
You should leave asap with your child. This is a very dangerous living situation for you and your child. Unknown men showing up in your living room??

The LL's are probably worried that you can get their son arrested for his drug use.

If it were me, I'd leave as fast as I could....But I'd make sure the police were made aware of the illicit drug use when I was gone.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,280,016 times
How did you know it was heroin?

Old 11-23-2016, 06:21 AM

20,136 posts, read 16,264,637 times
You need to move. If what you are saying is true neither of you are in a safe situation and you need to leave before something happens.

You don't say what city you are in but California as a general rule is very tenant friendly, see if you have a city department that handles landlord/tenant issues. If you are lucky enough to be in a rent controlled area, as long as you have paid your rent you might have hit the housing jackpot. Regardless, if they moved your stuff outside while you are still supposed to be a tenant that is against the law in California.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,402,780 times
If you see heroin, call the police.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,648,270 times
I wouldn't know heroin if I saw it but good job IDing that. I'd be out yesterday. The safety of you and your CHILD is at risk. Leave now by any means possible.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:43 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,371,480 times
I'd call the cops and get the son arrested. 3 day notice to leave? Time for some payback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting