Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 5,406 times

Advertisements

Just signed a 5 year lease and a couple weeks after moving-in tenant asked if I can I install a fence and deckin order to make the property more enjoyable. Tenant is willing to pay additional rent to cover cost.

What is the best way to go about this if teh current lease does not now allow me to raise rent before it expires? should we:

(a) terminate current lease (how do i do this?) and draft new lease with new amount for rent that include the price of the deck and fence divided over the term of new lease?, or

(b) write and signed an addendum to current lease for the additional amount the new deck and fence will cost over the term of new lease?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,891,831 times
Signed Addendum is common here...

If the unit is subsidized you will need Housing Approval.

If the unit is under rent control follow the steps to make sure any rent increase stands.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Signed Addendum is common here...

If the unit is subsidized you will need Housing Approval.

If the unit is under rent control follow the steps to make sure any rent increase stands.

None of the above applies, so i think i am good. Thanks

Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,746,305 times
Just curious as to why you would ever write and lock yourself into a 5 year lease. You are already running into issues with it and you have 5 more years of the possibility of running into endless other issues. I can't imagine there ever being a benefit to doing this especially if you are already raising the rent via an addendum.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:32 AM

Interesting that you'd bring that up. The current lease is actually a 3-year lease but I was thinking of extending it for 5 years to spread out rent increase over a longer period to pay for the new fence and deck. 3 years may still be too long but the tennant was carefully screened and will have no prob paying rent compared to the local tenant pool. Therefore I thought it was advantageous to lock them in as long as I can.

I have to admit though that tennant turning out to be on needy side and your point is well taken about potential problems this may raise down the line.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 AM

32,772 posts, read 48,535,399 times
Just sign a rent addendum that you and the tenant both agree to increase the rent by $xxx in response to the tenant's request for a deck and fence to be built.

Personally, I stay away from tenants who aren't happy with tthe place like it is and start demanding upgrades. Well, too late now. Best luck to you.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 AM

Me too... when I'm showing and someone doesn't like the counter top or carpet color it's sign of things to come.

Another one is painting... my units are freshly painted in one of two stock colors I use...

No greens, blues, charcoal or browns for my walls...

Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,507,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristifah View Post
a couple weeks after moving-in tenant asked if I can I install a fence and deckin order to make the property more enjoyable.
No. They rented it the way it was.

If you do this, you are opening yourself up for a number of "requests".

Just no.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 AM

If it is something you would like to have then it makes sense to keep an open mind.

One tenant wanted me to put in a Hot Tub... something I would NEVER do... they said it would improve the property value...

Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 AM

Not too late for me to say no, but I did told tenant that i'd look into it and give them the estimate. It will be up the tenant the decide if they want to pay $250 more per month for these things. If they just wanted these things without paying for them then the point about future issues is a valid one. I am get the benefit of improving value of property at the tenant's expense, no?

Also I think the extra rent model will discourage future requests if they know they will have to pay for it in extra rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting