Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 707 times

Advertisements

I have a lease saying no satelite dishes can it be stopped if I do have one installed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:47 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,715,322 times
Uh, yeah. You can actually be evicted for breaching the lease now that you had it installed. So either way you are going to pay by either eviction or a severe penalty. It is their choice.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,510,594 times
By federal law, you can't be forbidden from installing/using an over-the-air reception device. But, the landlord may limit where it can be physically installed.

https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consu...nsumerdish.pdf

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Old 12-02-2016, 08:37 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,502,218 times
In my area, no dish installers will install without written permission from the landlord. So it would be a moot point, as you couldn't get it installed in the first place without their knowledge. Your local installers may have different policies.

As to whether the landlord has to allow it, it depends on what kind of building you live in and where you are wanting it installed. The landlord has to let you install one anywhere that you have exclusive use of. So for a house, that could be on the roof or in the yard. The landlord can tell you you can't drill holes in the roof to attach it, even on a house, as that would obviously damage the roof. But for a condo or apartment building, it might be only on your patio, which might face the wrong direction to get service, or have trees blocking signal. The landlord is not required to allow you to put the dish anywhere else, so in that case, you could not realistically have dish service.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus195769 View Post
I have a lease saying no satelite dishes can it be stopped if I do have one installed?
You most certainly can be required to pay to repair the damage that the installation of the dish caused. That can run into some serious money.

The installers just do what is easy and they don't give a rip about damage becasue you will never find them again to get them to pay for it.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,194,681 times
they cannot stop you from putting up a dish!!! but they can make your life a living hell trying to do it by telling you where they want it placed. as a simple solution to that would be where one can't get the signal. i try and get a non penetraiting roof mount and some cement blocks and some flat cables and run them through a window instead of pissing the LL off and drilling holes
Search: non penetrating roof mount - Solid Signal

Search: flat cable - Solid Signal

but than again installing like that might be an insurance issue to as well always best to ask. if it was me id'e want them in the back yard wich faces the north direction so you would not get signal and that would be my right to have them there under law. unless you have a place like a balcony that faces the southern sky then i can't say no though i would charge to to fix the holes..

Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,194,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In my area, no dish installers will install without written permission from the landlord. So it would be a moot point, as you couldn't get it installed in the first place without their knowledge. Your local installers may have different policies.

As to whether the landlord has to allow it, it depends on what kind of building you live in and where you are wanting it installed. The landlord has to let you install one anywhere that you have exclusive use of. So for a house, that could be on the roof or in the yard. The landlord can tell you you can't drill holes in the roof to attach it, even on a house, as that would obviously damage the roof. But for a condo or apartment building, it might be only on your patio, which might face the wrong direction to get service, or have trees blocking signal. The landlord is not required to allow you to put the dish anywhere else, so in that case, you could not realistically have dish service.
and those installers can be sued also if they don't get wriiten permission from the LL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting