Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 06:55 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout45 View Post
So we rent a accessible low level unit in California and my bedroom window is just 2 feet away from where cars drive by, about 15 feet from the parked cars. When cars back up to exit their spot, their cars come just 1-2 inches away from my window, luckily they have a backup camera so they don't hit the window and wall but I can smell all the exhaust fumes from when it backs up. I think it always comes in also when the window is closed from AC because it's just a few inches from floor. I also smell the exhaust from cars just driving by.
I complained to the manager but she said there's nothing that can be done. Is it legal to have an apartment with a window like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
With all the over the garage Apts I not heard of this problem. Could be the window is Not closing properly, Poor Insulation or Sealing. I agree with Kim Start with the LL & Maintenace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I was confused too. OP didn't say this was a FROG. It sounded more like a ground floor basement apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 04:34 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
It’s not confusing. She’s sort of saying what works for that kind of apartment should probably work for the OPs situation.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:55 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It’s not confusing. She’s sort of saying what works for that kind of apartment should probably work for the OPs situation.
How? There's a big difference between a window at street level and one that is on the 2nd or 3rd floor. You can't drive your car up to or into a window that high up, which is what the OP is worried about.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:59 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
I was talking about CARBON entering and KILLING. Thats the Major problem.

As for cars hitting the window that is an EASY Fix! A couple post like you see in parking lots usually have Handicap signs on them. Sheesh.

And yes, I seen where cars hit garages. They usually rebrace the apts upstairs & Reseal them.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Do you not realize that carbon is everywhere? You’re literally carbon-based…
When the OP Dies we will know who Killed him!!

Old 05-08-2022, 06:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Ummm. You’re quite literally a carbon-based lifeform. Add me to the list of those that are very confused by your posts. Are you using a translator software or something?
There have been studies done in some areas where people live adjacent to highways. It can be harmful to children to be in these environments.

That said, I don’t think that’s the OP’s issue. A lot of people live on first floor/garden apartments with windows looking out onto a street or parking lot. My last apartment was on the first floor with a sliding glass door right out onto the parking lot. There were other units that looked right out onto a busy street, but it still did not get the same level of traffic as a highway/interstate that regularly has diesel trucks rumbling up and down day and night.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I was talking about CARBON entering and KILLING. Thats the Major problem.

As for cars hitting the window that is an EASY Fix! A couple post like you see in parking lots usually have Handicap signs on them. Sheesh.

And yes, I seen where cars hit garages. They usually rebrace the apts upstairs & Reseal them.
It’s not carbon, Katie.. it’s carbon monoxide.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It’s not carbon, Katie.. it’s carbon monoxide.
I know that as I said in My Post #4

Old 05-09-2022, 06:45 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
How? There's a big difference between a window at street level and one that is on the 2nd or 3rd floor. You can't drive your car up to or into a window that high up, which is what the OP is worried about.
Think about it. Exhaust gases can rise up to the 2nd floor. They can also go through an open window or where an apartment is not adequately sealed. The poster seemed to be saying that whatever was done to seal those 2nd floor apartments could possibly be done for the ground floor apartment. I don’t know if that is possible. I was just trying to help translate what the other person was saying, or seemed to be saying.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:23 AM

The OP stated that people Backing out of a space Across from his window are coming too close to the building. Sounds like it is Not an actual parking space... so as I said a few posts would stop that. It's not like the way some homes are built at a T intersection when a Speeding car can miss a turn & ram the home! We used to rent a home at the bottom of a hill at a T intersection. That was 45+ years ago at that time the home was over 100 years old & to this day still stands. So that to me is Slim to none in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting