Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 08:45 AM

400 posts, read 366,580 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment that is a year old and I live on the top floor (4th). The apartment does not cool properly. Lets say I put the temp on 74 or 75. The unit will say that the room temperature in 77 or 78 degrees and it will not drop. The maintenance teams have been to my unit several times and they use the infrared gun to check the temperature from the vents. When they do this, it will show a reading of 71 or 72 degrees. The thing is that if that is the case, why is my unit steadily and consistently running without lowering my unit to the desire temp.

At most, I will say that it the problem is very sporadic. Anytime it is above 80 degrees, the unit just runs and runs continuously without stopping and cooling the apartment. We also have high ceilings. Last week maintenance came by and replaced the capacitor, but I am currently still having the same issues. At this point, do you think I could get a HVAC person to look at this. I also have an indoor thermometer and it shows that the room temp is 73 degrees, but the thermostat and how I feel does not dictate this. Any ideas.

I attached a photo of the thermostat the place uses. I am old fashioned and lived in older complexes that had your basic manual analog thermostat which worked perfectly might I add. With this one, I was told you have to select the temp, put it on hold, so the temp would hold steady. If I just set the temp without using the hold button, it will cool but magically jump up to 85 degrees.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. would be helpful.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Can I pay a HVAC guy to look at my unit in an apt?-20220423_222018.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 09:38 AM

16,420 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I attached a photo of the thermostat the place uses. I am old fashioned and lived in older complexes that had your basic manual analog thermostat which worked perfectly might I add. With this one, I was told you have to select the temp, put it on hold, so the temp would hold steady. If I just set the temp without using the hold button, it will cool but magically jump up to 85 degrees.
It's not magic. It's a programmable thermostat that the previous resident apparently knew how to program (or if no previous resident, then the thermostat came with a default program built in). So if you don't use the hold button, it's going to follow the programmed schedule and jump to 85 degrees at the same time every day. You need to ask maintenance to show you how to adjust the programmed schedule or remove it altogether. (or google the particular thermostat model to find the instructions to change the programmed schedule. )

Get yourself an indoor thermometer and place it next to the thermostat. See if both are getting the same readings. Document some various times throughout the day ... the reading on the thermostat, the reading on the thermometer, what the thermostat is set at, and whether or not it is cooling as it should. Maintenance may need some evidence to be convinced to replace the thermostat if it's faulty.

No point in bringing in an HVAC technician. They can't repair or replace anything without the management's permission. They might be able to diagnose, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will get fixed.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's not magic. It's a programmable thermostat that the previous resident apparently knew how to program (or if no previous resident, then the thermostat came with a default program built in). So if you don't use the hold button, it's going to follow the programmed schedule and jump to 85 degrees at the same time every day. You need to ask maintenance to show you how to adjust the programmed schedule or remove it altogether. (or google the particular thermostat model to find the instructions to change the programmed schedule. )

Get yourself an indoor thermometer and place it next to the thermostat. See if both are getting the same readings. Document some various times throughout the day ... the reading on the thermostat, the reading on the thermometer, what the thermostat is set at, and whether or not it is cooling as it should. Maintenance may need some evidence to be convinced to replace the thermostat if it's faulty.

No point in bringing in an HVAC technician. They can't repair or replace anything without the management's permission. They might be able to diagnose, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will get fixed.

Thanks for your answer! I do use the hold button but the AC still continues to run and not cool the unit. At this time I have an indoor thermometer on top of the thermostat and it is reading at 73 degrees while, the AC thermostat says 77. I think I will take your advice and document this. I just didn't know if I could have someone come in and take a look because it has steadily been an on going problem. I thought it was fixed last week when maintenance came by only for it to start with the shenanigans once again.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:33 AM

4,536 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Well, if the outlet air temp is 71 degrees and you have any heat load at all, or you're trying to cool down, you'll never get there. I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is exactly but I think it's something like 20 degrees delta from inlet air to outlet air, and you're reporting something more like 6 or 7 degrees.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Windows & Hot sun can also affect the temp from room to room & areas in the same room. I Suggest you put up blinds or Black Out curtains.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
I live in an apartment that is a year old and I live on the top floor (4th). The apartment does not cool properly. Lets say I put the temp on 74 or 75. The unit will say that the room temperature in 77 or 78 degrees and it will not drop. The maintenance teams have been to my unit several times and they use the infrared gun to check the temperature from the vents.
Order a laser temp gun from Amazon for $20. Everybody should have one.

Quote:
When they do this, it will show a reading of 71 or 72 degrees. The thing is that if that is the case, why is my unit steadily and consistently running without lowering my unit to the desire temp.
I haven't run my AC yet this season but I seem to recall getting about 60 degrees coming out of the vents.

Check the vents in every room as the length of the ductwork might vary the temps a bit.

Is there one AC unit for all 4 apartments or does each apartment have its own?

Have you talked to the neighbors about how well their apartments cool?

Old 05-02-2022, 03:51 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
The air coming out of the air conditioning grill should be about 55 dF, (when the thermostat indicates it's calling for cooling). If the thermostat things you don't need heating or cooling, it may just recirculate the room air, or it may turn off the fan, depending on the Fan: Auto-Off switch setting.
-- Other, more complex systems - like for multistory houses or offices, may vary this temperature, but what apartments inevitably use is called a "split system" or "DX system" (Direct eXpansion). They are either cooling or just blowing air.

If you're not getting air this cold, then you DO have a problem and should require your apartment management to get the unit serviced.
FYI: It needs to be that cold so that the coils can not only cool, but also condense water out of the air for de-humidification.

(I'm an HVAC engineer)

Old 05-02-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The air coming out of the air conditioning grill should be about 55 dF, (when the thermostat indicates it's calling for cooling). If the thermostat things you don't need heating or cooling, it may just recirculate the room air, or it may turn off the fan, depending on the Fan: Auto-Off switch setting.
-- Other, more complex systems - like for multistory houses or offices, may vary this temperature, but what apartments inevitably use is called a "split system" or "DX system" (Direct eXpansion). They are either cooling or just blowing air.

If you're not getting air this cold, then you DO have a problem and should require your apartment management to get the unit serviced.
FYI: It needs to be that cold so that the coils can not only cool, but also condense water out of the air for de-humidification.

(I'm an HVAC engineer)
I am going to order one of those laser guns. What does it sound like the problem could be?

Old 05-02-2022, 09:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Do you have the AIR on AUTO or just AIR ... one runs the Air all the time bringing in Hot or Cold air depending on the Weather. The other only kicks in when the heater or the AC Compressor kicks on.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
I am going to order one of those laser guns. What does it sound like the problem could be?
When you contacted your landlord and asked to have maintenance come out and check your air-conditioning system… What did they say about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting