Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 03:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,077,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbx View Post
Why do you say it's not toxic? Everywhere I read it's quite toxic. It's on the #1 most toxic mold. I am asking genuinely.
Did the Health Dept come talk with your landlord? Did they tell you to leave the unit? Have you removed all of your things and had them professionally cleaned for mold? Did you throw away those things that can’t be cleaned?

You’ve been sitting on this topic mold for how long? What have you done with the information your inspector gave you?

Read your lease in regards to early termination and follow the info to a “T”…. Break your lease and move, but don’t expect to do it for free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Whether it's toxic or not, dangerous or safe, real or imagined, rational or paranoid - none of that matters. It seems pretty clear that OP has already made up her mind and doesn't feel that she and her baby are safe. Hence, she should be looking at alternative housing and the costs to break that lease.
This. Time to read the lease OP

Old 05-15-2022, 03:46 PM

23,438 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Quote:
Why do you say it's not toxic? Everywhere I read it's quite toxic. It's on the #1 most toxic mold. I am asking genuinely.
Above a certain level it can be toxic. Unless you forgot to mention it for some reason, you never shared the actual test results, just the general background information. I don't think you have any test results. You're jumping to conclusions.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 4,833,957 times
If you have a continuing leak, that is likely the source of the mold. Mold requires a source of moisture to continue to grow. With areas like a repaired leak, that mold can be cleaned with a strong detergent (I've used Fantastik with bleach) and/or hydrogen peroxide,
https://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm

Old 05-15-2022, 06:24 PM

12 posts, read 5,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Above a certain level it can be toxic. Unless you forgot to mention it for some reason, you never shared the actual test results, just the general background information. I don't think you have any test results. You're jumping to conclusions.
Here is the Lab result. Air & Swab

Old 05-15-2022, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 5,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Did the Health Dept come talk with your landlord? Did they tell you to leave the unit? Have you removed all of your things and had them professionally cleaned for mold? Did you throw away those things that can’t be cleaned?

You’ve been sitting on this topic mold for how long? What have you done with the information your inspector gave you?

Read your lease in regards to early termination and follow the info to a “T”…. Break your lease and move, but don’t expect to do it for free
I just got the lab result this Friday. I will be speaking with the Apartment mgmt tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,533,306 times
I just recently use bleach to clean the window aluminum frames and area around them,it is dirty work ,wear gloves and get plenty of paper towels.
Use garden hose to wash the windows work as well.
As for the closet,you need to speak to your landlord if the leaky roof is the cause.
You can also get an aircleaner ,it comes in different sizes

Old 05-17-2022, 12:40 PM

23,438 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Thanks for posting the test results OP. This is something with teeth you can present to your LL. If they don't take any action to improve the situation in parts of the building that are outside your control, I don't blame you for making demands. Change won't happen instantly however. You also have your part to play. Now that you know there's a problem, you'll need to be more diligent in cleaning your rooms. If you are not willing to do that, move out.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:43 PM

9,900 posts, read 7,792,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I just recently use bleach to clean the window aluminum frames and area around them,it is dirty work ,wear gloves and get plenty of paper towels.
Use garden hose to wash the windows work as well.
As for the closet,you need to speak to your landlord if the leaky roof is the cause.
You can also get an aircleaner ,it comes in different sizes
Yes, back in the day no one talked about mold or mildew, just got some bleach and cleaned it up.

Well, wait, last week I cleaned a post that had mold on it from a shower leak that we fixed. Oh yeah, and a couple months ago our old car got full of mold when we left it under the trees too long. That was a big hassle to clean up but the dollar store had all sorts of mold cleaners.

Not trying to be flip about this, it happens. Hope your meeting goes well.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I just got the lab result this Friday. I will be speaking with the Apartment mgmt tomorrow.
If you got these on Friday, why didn’t you notify them on Friday? You could’ve notified them on Saturday… Most leasing offices are open on the weekends.

But most importantly, are you still in the unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting