Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 04:55 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,338,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I do know that there's quite a bit of homelessness in my community on the Oregon coast. There seems to be a general consensus among the California retirees who have displaced the working class here that those who need housing help can get it from the small social services agency here, but I think the extent of their help begins and ends with a box of canned food and perhaps a paper sack of discarded clothing.
That is so sad, and to think it is happening all over the in the "richest country in the world."

Old 06-23-2022, 05:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
they have to have room mates.
2 in bedroom and 2 sleeps in the living room,some even manage to convert a walkin closet as a bedroom.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:43 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
The problem I see is that people want to live in certain places for the wages, or the atmosphere, or because it's the place to be, or...... yet those very things come at a price. If rents are too high and the COL is too high that makes the viable option homelessness, move to some rural agricultural community and work at he feed store while living over old Randy's garage if that's all you can afford.

Why do people want the higher life style when they are more aligned with ditch diggers yet try to blame everything and everyone except their own meager ability to excel? It's just so tiring to hear people blaming landlords for rent rises just because we were smart enough to invest in an asset that enables increases to meet demand. If I charge $5,000 for a vacant studio and I have 450 people clamoring at the PMC's door to rent that unit, why shouldn't I reap the rewards of my hard work and smart investment?

Old 06-23-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The problem I see is that people want to live in certain places for the wages, or the atmosphere, or because it's the place to be, or...... yet those very things come at a price. If rents are too high and the COL is too high that makes the viable option homelessness, move to some rural agricultural community and work at he feed store while living over old Randy's garage if that's all you can afford.

Why do people want the higher life style when they are more aligned with ditch diggers yet try to blame everything and everyone except their own meager ability to excel? It's just so tiring to hear people blaming landlords for rent rises just because we were smart enough to invest in an asset that enables increases to meet demand. If I charge $5,000 for a vacant studio and I have 450 people clamoring at the PMC's door to rent that unit, why shouldn't I reap the rewards of my hard work and smart investment?
I do not know. Why do you not tell us?

I understand what you are saying, but not everyone has the same advantages in life including education, health, etc. This is a much more complicated issue than the picture you are painting. Go earn some advanced degrees in economics, sociology, and maybe even philosophy, and then come back and give us your revised learned opinion.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:49 AM

1,305 posts, read 857,722 times
Quote:

I think that part of the problem is that the areas that one used to think of as less expensive are joining in on the high rent thing as well. I left a high cost coastal area in order to take advantage of lower housing costs, but even here, rent/house prices have rapidly increased over the last few years. Not sure if the higher mortgage rates will cause a slowdown in runaway price increases, or if things will continue on their upward trajectory. If housing/gas/food prices continue to increase and wages can't keep up, it will not be pretty.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:37 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,753,976 times
I have never been homeless, neither have any of my family members and out of my friends, only one widow was homeless but she scrambled to find strangers to live with. This was before I knew her.

One thing I've instilled in my kids is that you always pay your house/rent payment first. Never miss it. It's too big to catch up on. They listened. They also know I won't help them pay their bills.

The other thing. I think people wait too long to make a move when red flags start waving. Back in 2008, we saw that renters were being kicked out when their landlords got foreclosed on. We were renting a nice house at the time and bought a house cross country for 1/3 the cost of our rent. Right now in some places there are water shortages or electricity brownouts, that might be enough to get you out now before things get really bad.

I've never thought there was an easy generous government safety net for housing. If any of us got in big troubles, we would take each other in until they got back on their feet.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:54 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,222,437 times
The issue of homelessness seems to be getting worse, not better, despite the tons of money spent on it. Drugs and mental health problems for sure. And there are some people who simply don't like being told what to do or to agree to following certain rules - they're homeless by choice.

If there was a solution someone would have found it by now, but obviously there's no "one size fits all" answer.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:54 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
A landlord buddy in Alabama was just on a forum today happily sharing that for the very first time ever he had rented a house for 4 digit rent. A 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage , newly renovated, for $1,000 a month. Most of his rentals are bringing $600.

A different landlord acquaintance in Texas is getting $500-$600 a month for her houses.

There are still places where the rent hasn't gone insane. Low income people don't have to live in expensive areas that they can't afford. Donate all of your stuff to good will and get on a bus and move to a cheaper area. Especially of you are living on a government issued paycheck. That disability check might not cover rent in Miami, but it will in Indiana or Alabama, or Missouri.

I'll admit that I, myself, don't want to live in Missouri, but I would choose that over a blue tarp wedged between a meth head and a schizophrenic on a sidewalk in Seattle. Sometimes you just can't have the very best of everything if you can't afford the price of the best.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:38 AM

7,369 posts, read 4,153,659 times
Quote:
If I charge $5,000 for a vacant studio and I have 450 people clamoring at the PMC's door to rent that unit, why shouldn't I reap the rewards of my hard work and smart investment?
My son's landlord is charging him a below the average rate for a two bedroom apartment in D.C. It's gorgeous with a fireplace and a backyard and it's worth $500 more a month in rent. However, my son and his roommate are quiet, clean and financially stable. They renewed the lease which had only gone up by $20 a month.

Sometimes, it's worth it to get a stable tenant than higher rent.

NYC has been ruined by foreigners purchasing entire apartment floors in luxury buildings. Builders cater to these purchases instead the typical middle class tenants. It's messing up NYC and making it into a Disneyland for the rich. City has lost its soul. Sure, old New York landlords are making out with this arrangement, but should this be allowed? Why prioritize the foreign rich rather than the American middle class? What best for the stability of a country?

Old 06-25-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My son's landlord is charging him a below the average rate for a two bedroom apartment in D.C. It's gorgeous with a fireplace and a backyard and it's worth $500 more a month in rent. However, my son and his roommate are quiet, clean and financially stable. They renewed the lease which had only gone up by $20 a month.

Sometimes, it's worth it to get a stable tenant than higher rent.

NYC has been ruined by foreigners purchasing entire apartment floors in luxury buildings. Builders cater to these purchases instead the typical middle class tenants. It's messing up NYC and making it into a Disneyland for the rich. City has lost its soul. Sure, old New York landlords are making out with this arrangement, but should this be allowed? Why prioritize the foreign rich rather than the American middle class? What best for the stability of a country?
Yes, smart landlords value good tenants. I once had a lease coming up for renewal. I had only been in the property for a year, but I cared for it as if I owned it. At the end of my lease term, the landlord actually offered to lower the rent if I would stay.

In answer to your question, it is all about money in this country. It always has been and likely always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting