Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 05:39 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think this fits better within Non-Romantic Relationships, but, to answer the question regardless, I wouldn't continue speaking to her. Pregnancy is no excuse for nastiness. Life is too short and I am too old to be putting up with such ridiculousness. The LL was kind to let your friend stay when he was in arrears (though depending on the circumstances and time, she may not have had much of a choice), but from where I stand that doesn't justify her behavior over the past however many months. As a single mother trying to make ends meet, wouldn't shock me if she relies greatly on your friend's rent payments, which is why she is blowing up his phone constantly trying to get him back. Maybe she'll learn with the next tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 06:49 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Yeah but IMO him speaking to her after all she did would show weaknesson his part. If it were me, I'd have told her to go pound sand! No one's gonna treat ME in a disrespectful manner and I just "forgive and forget"; once you've done that to me, in the words of Kevin O'Leary: "You're dead to me!"
Your friend already has been the weak one. He was renting a room in a house. She was the adult, raising children, being the homeowner, trying to get him to follow rules/curtesy and he didn't even pay the rent.

I hope he's paid her everything that he owes and moved his things out so she can move on. If not, that's probably why she's still calling.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:55 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
First off, it's none of your business. You aren't the tenant, you aren't the landlord. and as far as I can tell, you weren't even there, so I can't see any reason for you to get all indignant about someone else's drama. Why is it your business that she is pregnant, unless you are the father of the baby?

Why do you and your friend think that he should have been treated with great respect all the while he wasn't paying the rent? I'm surprised the landlord didn't kick him out right then.

As always, tenants get to move when they aren't happy, so if he wasn't happy, his best option was to give proper written notice and move out. Oh wait, he didn't give any notice at all, so he still owes 30 days rent. Didn't pay rent, didn't give notice, left owing money. I hope he doesn't ever need her for a landlord reference.
Did I say he WASN'T paying his rent??? I said he had a setback which put him temporarily in arrears - I further said that he had gotten caught up, meaning that he DID pay his back rent. So by the time of the "drama", he was caught up! Okay?

Now, he vented all this to me because it is his (and my) understanding that as a tenant, as long as you're
A) paying your rent
B) Not defacing/destroying anything on the property
C) Not creating noise, nuisance, or other thus disturbing others on the property

then you should have FREE REIGN to enjoy the place you call HOME.
And, granted I'm not the tenant, nor have I lived there, but I've met his ex-landlady. And briefly met her (married) friend. I detected some shady **** with her - call it gut instinct or whatever - but I almost immediately thought: "He [my buddy] can do better." He can live anywhere he wants - not to say he's wealthy, but he does okay.

Last we spoke (just a couple days ago), he said he's looking at possibly buying a small house. His credit is good, and I guess he can afford the down payment.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:16 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Well, he Moved out There is No Landlord! Nothing says he can't be friends with her... I would advise Not to rent from her Tho.

BTW this should be in the Relationship Forum!!

Old 06-27-2022, 10:04 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
First off, it's none of your business. You aren't the tenant, you aren't the landlord. and as far as I can tell, you weren't even there, so I can't see any reason for you to get all indignant about someone else's drama. Why is it your business that she is pregnant, unless you are the father of the baby?

Why do you and your friend think that he should have been treated with great respect all the while he wasn't paying the rent? I'm surprised the landlord didn't kick him out right then.

As always, tenants get to move when they aren't happy, so if he wasn't happy, his best option was to give proper written notice and move out. Oh wait, he didn't give any notice at all, so he still owes 30 days rent. Didn't pay rent, didn't give notice, left owing money. I hope he doesn't ever need her for a landlord reference.
Oh man! I WISH I could rep you (again)! I especially like the 3rd paragraph where you sound just like Judge Millian on The People's Court.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:12 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Yeah but IMO him speaking to her after all she did would show weaknesson his part. If it were me, I'd have told her to go pound sand! No one's gonna treat ME in a disrespectful manner and I just "forgive and forget"; once you've done that to me, in the words of Kevin O'Leary: "You're dead to me!"
Such a simple solution. Let your friend vent. Then Send him these links. Then MYOB.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...he4b3f7823/ios

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...ber-on-android

Old 06-27-2022, 10:39 AM

6,859 posts, read 4,853,645 times
Quote:
Did I say he WASN'T paying his rent??? I said he had a setback which put him temporarily in arrears - I further said that he had gotten caught up, meaning that he DID pay his back rent. So by the time of the "drama", he was caught up! Okay?

Now, he vented all this to me because it is his (and my) understanding that as a tenant, as long as you're
A) paying your rent
B) Not defacing/destroying anything on the property
C) Not creating noise, nuisance, or other thus disturbing others on the property

then you should have FREE REIGN to enjoy the place you call HOME.
And, granted I'm not the tenant, nor have I lived there, but I've met his ex-landlady. And briefly met her (married) friend. I detected some shady **** with her - call it gut instinct or whatever - but I almost immediately thought: "He [my buddy] can do better." He can live anywhere he wants - not to say he's wealthy, but he does okay.

Last we spoke (just a couple days ago), he said he's looking at possibly buying a small house. His credit is good, and I guess he can afford the down payment.
You sound like you have anger issues. Nothing in your own life to be outraged about so you are outraged for your friend? He's a big boy and can make his own choices.

The LL sounds ridiculous about the parking. If the street allows parking it shouldn't be her business. He vented to you, he moved, he can always block her from his phone if she's bothering him. It's over. No one needs to be in a state of drama about it.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Your friend already has been the weak one. He was renting a room in a house. She was the adult, raising children, being the homeowner, trying to get him to follow rules/curtesy and he didn't even pay the rent.

I hope he's paid her everything that he owes and moved his things out so she can move on. If not, that's probably why she's still calling.
Please read my last post. During the pandemic, MOST people had financial issues - he had a brief setback, but got back on his feet. And how was he NOT following rules? By parking his car out front? Where's he supposed to park it - in the living room???

Despite the setback, he was an overall good tenant - and as I also said, he and the landlady had known each other for years.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Oh man! I WISH I could rep you (again)! I especially like the 3rd paragraph where you sound just like Judge Millian on The People's Court.
What, the one where Judge Milian was eating pancakes???

Old 06-27-2022, 01:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Hm, sounds like perhaps the attic room is an illegal conversion. Attics often need to be permitted as liveable spaces. Factor in the LL not wanting him parking on the main street near the house (side streets) makes it sound like she might now want the neighbors knowing there's an extra person in the attic.

Outside of that, if your friend has moved out you should move on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting