Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 01:15 PM

13,937 posts, read 39,451,995 times

Advertisements

I would stay! She is your sister & needs help! You are Family not paying rent so NOT a Rent issue. This falls on Family Law.. ASK your sisters Lawyer. Since he knows whats going on & you wont need to give out her personal business bring another lawyer into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 01:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,515,280 times
Several issues here. First, I would get out of that house. I would get your mother out of that house, and I would let your sister and her husband get their divorce worked out. You are just making things worse. If your sister is afraid of him and he is assaulting her, she needs to take the children and leave.

You say you have plenty of money to get your own place. So why haven't you done this? Why not get your own place where she and the children and your mom can stay with you while the divorce is going through the courts rather than everyone just sitting there while he continues to assault her? This makes zero sense to me.

As for you not paying rent. Of course you should be paying rent. If it were just you and your sister and you are the sole provider watching the children 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, allowing your sister and her husband to both work outside the home, then maybe. But I suspect you are just watching the children here and there to "help out." So I don't think this is enough to make up for you not paying rent and I don't blame your BIL for being annoyed that he has his wife's sister and mother in the house, both against his wishes, both not paying any rent.

Can he move his family into the house against your sister's wishes? Of course he can. Your sister moved you and your mother into the house against his wishes.

Right now everyone is being super nasty because they know the marriage is ending and there's no incentive to be nice. You and your mother and sister need to get out of that house and stop co-habitating with him immediately. Has your sister filed for divorce? If she hasn't, she needs to get a lawyer and do this right away.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:07 PM

22,744 posts, read 37,003,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So you think your sister has a right to have her family stay there against his wishes, but he shouldn't have the right to have his family stay there? Move. Now. It can't happen fast enough.
Srsly.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:22 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,511,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well that depends entirely on the marital asset laws of Texas.
Which are what?

Old 07-09-2022, 09:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,950,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Which are what?
That's for the OP to find out for herself by hiring a Texas real estate attorney instead of looking for free legal advice on an internet forum.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:27 AM

3,375 posts, read 2,925,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I would stay! She is your sister & needs help! You are Family not paying rent so NOT a Rent issue. This falls on Family Law.. ASK your sisters Lawyer. Since he knows whats going on & you wont need to give out her personal business bring another lawyer into it.
People have been killed for lesser offenses, you know...

Old 07-10-2022, 07:45 AM

19,469 posts, read 28,029,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
It's a question who is paying actually the mortgage... If I were him, I'd stop paying it right away and move somewhere else. I'd also submit a motion to the court to force sale of the property asap and request to pay for the mortgage by the people living in the property. Worst case, I'd have my credit score slightly bummed for a while, nothing serious. (I know, I did exactly that)
You did this without consulting, hiring and taking an attorney's advice, RIGHT?

Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 PM

3,375 posts, read 2,925,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You did this without consulting, hiring and taking an attorney's advice, RIGHT?
I had a lawyer, of course. What I did not have, was money or desire to pay for my ex. We asked the judge to order the house to be sold and request was granted. Meanwhile, I did not pay for it. It gave me a little bump in my credit score, but nothing major, it cleared up fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting