Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,908,349 times

Advertisements

The trolley idea is a great concept. The bus trolley seems to be catching on but it does not have the same appeal as a trolley run on tracks. I have been to European cities and I loved the thin trolleys that glide through the middle of the streets with designated stops for passengers. That model would work very well in downtown and along the routes proposed. It would also save money over the long term, but try convincing the politicians! Its really a no brainer. Pretty soon the bus trolleys will be very expensive to operate at gas over $5.00/gal. Baltimore has some which go from downtown to Camden Yards..More people downtown=more tax revenue for Roanoke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,851,467 times
Motivated to start a wishlist to improve roanoke/salem town.
First thing on my list, SIDEWALKS
I hate taking my car everywhere. Would love to walk to the grocery store or pharmacy on a lovely day. I saw something on the govt. website that requires signing a petition for sidewalks. Hope i can take on that cause someday. Walking is such a healthy activity.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 30,569 times
I love the trolley with tracks idea.

I also wish Roanoke would add bike lanes all over the city. With even higher gas prices looming, it seems like a no brainer to encourage more biking around town.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 AM

216 posts, read 423,477 times
Would love to have trolleys on tracks as well. It would give the city more appeal as well as a pretty smart investment in my opinion. Unfortunately, it would take a hefty investment by a private party or by the local government, which I don't see happening right now. Plus, it would be a lengthy construction project, but progress ain't easy.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,851,467 times
IMAX Theatre

Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,673,177 times
I wish that they'd finish the construction on Campbell (across from the market) already...

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I wish that they'd finish the construction on Campbell (across from the market) already...

I think that's targeted for a September completion date, so may be awhile. Hopefully it will all be worth it.

Interestingly enough, when that project is completed work will begin on the Center in The Square building accross the street. A lot of construction going on at the moment downtown.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 PM

14 posts, read 30,569 times
I just hope more people keep moving to downtown Roanoke or to the neighborhoods around downtown.

If the northern parts of Old Southwest and the Moutainview neighborhood could attract more potential homeowners (wanting to rehab old houses to live closer to downtown) I think Roanoke's urban renewal could gain a ton more momentum.

It made me really happy to see this article. I love urban pioneers with vision!:

Mountain View: New start for grand old Roanoke neighborhood - Roanoke.com

Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetterroanoke View Post
I just hope more people keep moving to downtown Roanoke or to the neighborhoods around downtown.

If the northern parts of Old Southwest and the Moutainview neighborhood could attract more potential homeowners (wanting to rehab old houses to live closer to downtown) I think Roanoke's urban renewal could gain a ton more momentum.

It made me really happy to see this article. I love urban pioneers with vision!:

This is a battle that my fiance and I are going through right now. I am very interested in rehabing an older home in Old SW, but she wants to move into a "newer" home in Grandin that won't need as much work. As always, I think I am going to lose this one, which most of my married friends are telling me to get used to!

We are going to enjoy downtown living for another year, then it is decision time!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM

2,284 posts, read 4,100,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abetterroanoke View Post

THANKS for sharing that link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area