Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM

895 posts, read 2,098,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Of course, it will more than double that states investment for that extra 52 miles, but hey, it is Roanoke. The investment for those extra 52 miles will be well more than the states investment for the 165 to Lynchburg. I guess this is what you do to buy favor among the constituents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,843,298 times
China Opens Longest High-Speed Rail Line
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/bu...hina.html?_r=0

Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,894,810 times
And we a discussing just adding a train to Roanoke!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM

203 posts, read 413,442 times
Arrow Next Time, Take the Train ...

I see nothing but positives coming from a continued expansion of high speed rapid rail networks that connect cities full of people needing work with OTHER cities full of businesses needing workers.

For decades now, AAA has ranked highway traffic in Northern VA and the DC area to be the "worst in the United States." Driving a few miles in NoVA during Rush Hour (which lasts far longer than an hour during both morning and evening "rushes") has become a major ordeal for most commuters -- and has been so for at least the last 30 years, from what I've seen.

If the Commonwealth can provide intercity rail travel that is more cost-effective (and faster) than driving, the system will get used, and the financial benefits to cities thus interconnnected will prove enormous. The Europeans proved this half a century ago by assembling a group of smaller local railway services into what became the "Trans-Europe Express" (TEE), a highly successful upscale rapid railway system which was to serve international travelers in 130 cities throughout most of Western Europe from 1957 to 1995. And Virginia can learn much from TEE's example.

Here's an article about TEE from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Europ_Express

And to entertain you while you're reading the article, here's a song that was written to publicize (and promote usage of) the TEE, recorded in 1976:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv24b0v5h6Y

Now go tell Bob McDonnell (or whoever replaces him next year) that you want rapid rail transit!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Rapid rail or mass transit to anywhere with a poor transit system will be mostly for the few who embrace the novelty. There is a reason why rail thrives along the NEC- it is because localities along the corridor have very consistent and well used transit systems. A bus coming by the station every 20-30 minutes that gives one very limited destinations won't cut it.
You might like what is offered in Europe in regards to rail options, but there, the use of mass transit is the norm; in places like Roanoke, Lynchburg, and to a lesser extent, public transit is mainly used by the poor or the marginalized.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,894,810 times
I think the reason for not pushing for passenger rail is rooted in the belief that we are only supporting a means
of transportation for the poor. This assumption is based on the experience of traveling by current day Amtrak which in my opinion is no different than riding a Greyhound bus. The same perceptions are evident from the public in Hampton Roads who were against the light rail line there and in other bigger cities. People are failing to see the bigger picture in that the future is coming whether we like it or not. Roads are not being built or
improved(not in my area anyway), Interstate 81 has been taken over by trucks, the costs are prohibitive to
build new ones and with the increasing population in VA where can they be built? Amtrak has been a poor
example of too long in how to run a passenger rail system. The routes make no sense. For example travel to
Texas, one has to go up to Chicago and then down to Texas or to New Orleans from L'burg and overnight for another train to Dallas. From what I understand, Norfolk Southern owns the tracks around here and they have
been consistently against passenger rail in Roanoke. The reason? Liability issues and the belief there is not
enough demand, yet they have seen increased traffic in NC which is ahead of VA(as usual) on this issue in recent years. In other words the head of the railway sits in his office in Norfolk smoking a cigar without a care in the world laughing at the publics' transportation needs, a need that should be a core obligation of the state.
I only know I will NOT drive from Roanoke to NoVa or into DC any longer!! In past years the drive up I-81/I-66 was tolerable and a day return was possible. I am looking forward in a few years to ride the train from Roanoke at least to DC but I will wait until the routes make sense to venture out more. Thanks for the TEE video, I wish more people could ride the rails in Europe. Does anyone know if the new rail extension to Roanoke will be the TDX or the NER? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Default Rails are for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I think the reason for not pushing for passenger rail is rooted in the belief that we are only supporting a means
of transportation for the poor.
I agree. Read Joe Biden's views on America's need for trains. He is not poor & used to ride train to work from Delaware.
Joe Biden: Why America Needs Trains

Quote:
I only know I will NOT drive from Roanoke to NoVa or into DC any longer!! In past years the drive up I-81/I-66 was tolerable and a day return was possible.
I hate driving in northern Virginia, especially when you are from a small town & not used to the traffic. I see rails as an investment in future & independence from middle east oil.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Default share your views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Now go tell Bob McDonnell (or whoever replaces him next year) that you want rapid rail transit!!!
Good post. We need to be more vocal & share our views not just on forums but also with decision makers.

Submit Questions & Comments | The White House

Official Site of the Governor of Virginia

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I think the reason for not pushing for passenger rail is rooted in the belief that we are only supporting a means of transportation for the poor. This assumption is based on the experience of traveling by current day Amtrak which in my opinion is no different than riding a Greyhound bus. The same perceptions are evident from the public in Hampton Roads who were against the light rail line there and in other bigger cities. People are failing to see the bigger picture in that the future is coming whether we like it or not.
The argument ONLY works for DC, Philly, NYC and to a lesser extent, Baltimore and Boston. How about hopping an imaginary train to Virginia Beach. How will you get around once there? Take one to Greensboro, Raleigh, etc. You can get to places on major thoroughfares, but getting where you want or need to go gets more difficult as you get away from the central bus depot. For that matter, there are plenty of cities that don't even have a multi-modal transportation center (there is one under construction in Lynchburg). Until our cities develop very robust mass transit, you will have to be content with wishing for more rail. I always think the folks in Cville are overzealous in the way they think of their town and in the way they plan, but they are the only city in Virginia outside of the DC metro area that has planned and discussed the kind of robust public transportation system that would compliment increased rail transit.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM

203 posts, read 413,442 times
Arrow To get new Train Legislation, you may have to Train Your Legislators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
... We need to be more vocal & share our views not just on forums but also with decision makers.

Submit Questions & Comments | The White House

Official Site of the Governor of Virginia
You almost forgot what may be the most important link of all -- visit the new website of the Virginia General Assembly, oldest Legislative Body in the Western Hemisphere (established at Jamestown in 1619, it was originally called the House of Burgesses):

Welcome to the Virginia General Assembly Website. - Home

Learn how it all works. Find out who your representatives are, in BOTH Houses of the General Assembly. And then contact your Legislators. They're waiting to hear from you.

And for future reference, add ALL of these Links to your "Favorites" list.
Dan

Last edited by Dan_in_DC; 03-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: made the links bold for easier reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area